Just for Frank

"Poor people have been voting for Democrats for the last 50 years ... and they are still poor."

---------attributed to Sir Charles Barkley

[IMG]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/joannsimon/annoyalib.jpg[/IMG]

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Are the rest of us allowed to respond?
  • I know, I just wanted to annoy you.
  • I read this somewhere.....

A liberal is a person whose interests are not at stake at the moment.

• Charles Barkley... That's the guy you want to quote. :)

Most of his recent quotes involved excuses for why he skipped out of Vegas owing $400,000. Of course, that's what makes him a great Republican... Ride high, spend everyone else's money, then slip off before you have to pay the bill.
  • I read an article today about Sir Charles in which the author referred to him as a "national treasure". And he was being serious. I must have missed something. Apparently Barkley is something of a national phenomenon on the radio. I wasn't aware of that.

I thought Vegas had "ways" of taking care of people who didnt pay up. They must be getting soft...
  • I just ran across this clip of Huckabee addressing the NRA. Is he just stupid? This is the worst sort of pandering - not even the craziest gun nuts laughed!

[url]http://tinyurl.com/5gtzme[/url]
  • Keep in mind that this was an off-the-cuff remark caused by a loud noise during a speech. Huckabee is a known jokester but this time his remarks weren't funny or appropriate. No one ought to joke about someone having a gun pointed at them. Its being totally overblown of course.

That said, Frank has never posted any of the "Kill Bush" comments made by the extreme (and not so extreme liberal) side of the democratic party. Worse, these comments were intentional and not off-the-cuff like Huckabee's.

Cindy Sheehan wrote in her autobiography of here dream of returning in time to kill the infant George W. Bush.

A whole line of products featuring the message "Kill Bush" were offered over [url]www.cafepress.com[/url] until they were pulled from the website.

Nobel Peace laureate Betty Williams once said in front of an audience of schoolchildren "I would love to kill George Bush". The kids clapped and cheered.

Just type in "kill george bush" and you can read your fill of liberal blogs and posts of people who are obsessed with murdering the president.

My guess is Frank is well aware of the vile "Kill Bush" crowd within his party but for whatever reason he chooses to ignore the massive amount of incidents and post this silly off-hand comment made by Huckabee.

Now, I like Frank and I respect him as intelligent, thoughtful person and I would welcome his explanation for what seems to be a double standard.

• Paul, it's the same justification that those who kill abortionists use. The extremists in the Pro-life movement justify killing doctors who perform abortions because they are ultimately saving the lives of so many unborn babies as a result of the death of one doctor. Same with extremists on the Liberal side, they justify thoughts of killing Bush because he has murdered thousands of our men and women in the military and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. To them he is a war criminal and deserves to be treated as such. Both are demented in their thinking.
  • Actually, I wasn't aware of any of that. Reminds me of the bumper sticker that was a big seller during Cinton's run - "Where's Lee Harvey Oswald When You Need Him?"

Back to your question... I'm unaware of any Democratic presidential candidates joking about killing Bush. Cindy Sheehan is a grieving mother who feels Bush is responsible for the death of her son. Right or wrong, she's coming from a different place than Huckabee.
  • I never saw the Lee Harvy Oswald sticker. Must not have been that big.

So Huckabee has offered a rather lame apology. He said he didnt mean to disparage Obama. Well, of course he did. It's too bad he cant just admit he made a bad joke that just wasn't funny or appropriate.

Still, he did offer an apology which is more than you will get from the spittle seething, rabid Bush haters on the left.

Still, we can agree to disagree. Like George Bush once said "I have opinions, strong opinions, and I dont always agree with them."
  • Over 75,000 people attended an Obama rally in Portland over the weekend in the 93+ degree heat. Supposed to be some kind of record. Both the attendance and the heat.
  • Yeah I saw the photo today. Pretty impressive. I have the feeling once Obama shakes Hillary off his back he will pick up steam. His message is simple "I am not George Bush" and it may just work.

• Frank, what did you think of Hillary's comment the other day about staying in the race because we all know "RFK was assassinated in June"?
  • Interesting considering back in when Bill was president the Clintons had been wildly accused of having several people murdered.
  • Sometimes I think when Hillary finally realizes there is absolutely no way she can win the nomination she will erupt in a shrill, ear piercing scream and melt into a puddle leaving only some mascara residue and a mauve pantsuit.
  • I understand the logic of what she said.. But it's one of those thoughts you just don't vocalize. Not ever. Between Hillary and Huckabee, Obama has to be wondering if he should probably just stay out of Arkansas altogether.
  • >I understand the logic of what she said.. But it's one of those thoughts you
    >just don't vocalize. Not ever. Between Hillary and Huckabee, Obama has to be
    >wondering if he should probably just stay out of Arkansas altogether.

What is one of those thoughts that you "just don't vocalize"? That candidacies often are undecided this late in the year? Seriously, it's clear if you take her comments in context ([url]http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/196732.php[/url]) that her reference to the assassination was as an example that it is not unprecedented for a candidate not to be decided until June - she was asked if she knew why there seemed to be so much pressure on her to drop out of the race. She said no and says that it makes no sense, because it's not like nominations have never been decided this late in the year previously. She cited her husband's candidacy as an example of another candidacy that went on this long. As you can hear in the video, she says her husband didn't clinch the nomination until, [pauses as she thinks about it] "somewhere in the middle of June, right?" She then goes on to say, "We all remember that Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California." (i.e., after the California primary) In other words, we may not have specific recollections that Bill Clinton's candidacy wasn't decided until June, but since RFK's assassination is so memorable, pretty much everyone who was alive at the time does have a specific recollection that the 1968 candidacy was still undecided into June, because RFK was assassinated in June after the California primary. She certainly did not invoke the assassination as a reason or justification to stay in the primary, contrary to the spin placed on her comments by the so-called "liberal media." Amazingly, a panelist on MSNBC's Hardball actually paraphrased Clinton's comment as saying that "she should stay in the race because something bad could happen to Barack Obama," which Clinton certainly did not say (or even suggest, in my opinion). But as usual, people who don't bother to look closely into what was actually said will hear or read headlines like, "Clinton cites RFK assassination as justification for staying in the race," assume that's what she did, and think "Oh my gosh, I can't believe Clinton said she should stay in the race in case Obama gets assassinated. How awful." And it would be awful if that's actually what she said. But it's not.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-27-08 AT 03:59PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Kimberley, that was exactly how I interpreted her comments. It was a focus on timing, not the possibility of a catastrophic event. I didn't even think about the angle of her waiting for something bad to happen to Obama until a liberal friend pointed it out. Apparently, she has made the same comment before going back to March and has been warned not to use it again. She crossed the line and her own party members are now castigating her.

Further evidence that people will twist words to mean whatever they want them to mean. Not too dissimilar to Rev. Wright saying God damn America, but he didn't really mean it that way. Or, McCain saying we'll be in Iraq fighting for 100 years, but not literally.
  • >Interesting considering back in when Bill was president the Clintons had been
    >wildly accused of having several people murdered.

Ironic... that on Memorial Day weekend the subject would be "Presidents who have been accused of having people killed to further their own careers." How many is Bush up to now? (Unfair question, since it changes daily.)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-26-08 AT 07:04AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Yes, Frank. Bush screwed up big time with the Iraq War. Lot's of theories and speculations why he did it, but none of them make sense. I have no clue if all those rumors about the Clintons were true. If only 10% of them were, that's a problem. I don't know if they had any complicity with any of those mysterious deaths. All rumor. And fueled by those who hate them. But, with power hungry people, nothing surprises me... and that goes for people of all persuasions

If... and that's a huge if.... if some politician was even minutely connected with even one political murder, Bush's war and the resulting 1000's of deaths would not diminish their guilt. In my book, Bush is no worse than Teddy Kennedy. Remember Mary Jo?

Obama has received death threats since he began his campaign and Hillary appeared to be indicating that if he were murdered, she'd be there to take over. Of all the dumb things Bush has said, he has never been so politically crass.