Favorite family movies

I watched a nice, funny, clean movie over the weekend "Dan In Real Life". If you haven't seen it, its worth a look. Probably not for kids but suitable for teens and adults.

Here is my list of favorite family friendly flicks:

1. Finding Nemo - a classic! So many quotable lines. "Bubbles!!!"

2. What About Bob? "Baby steps!"

3. Searching For Bobby Fischer - a fantastic movie about a boy who is very good at chess (not Bobby Fischer).

4. Iron Giant - a very nice animated movie with a great message.

5. Enchanted - not my style but my wife and daughter LOVE this movie.

How about you? Whats on your list of favorites that kids and adults will enjoy?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Disney movies are always classics.

All 3 Shrek's

Monster's Inc.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-04-08 AT 02:59PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-04-08 AT 02:58 PM (CST)[/font]

1. Finding Nemo. Our favorite quote is the seagulls because we have so many of them around here: "Mine?"

2. Enchanted is a new favorite, of course with 2 granddaughters who love princesses that was a shoo-in and I love it too.

3. All of the Shrek movies. We re-watch those every once in a while and enjoy them just as much every time!

4. The Princess Bride. That's one that my sons & I loved when it came out 20 years ago and now the next generation loves it just as much.

5. Pretty much any Disney cartoon, especially Fantasia.

6. Labyrinth. That's another one my boys & I loved when it came out and now my grandkids love it as well. We thought my almost 3-year-old granddaughter might find parts of it scary but she loves the goblins and says she wants the goblins to come & take her away because it looks like they're having so much fun!

7. For slightly older children, all the old classic action blockbusters like the first three Star Wars movies and the Indiana Jones series.

• A Night at the Museum

I LOVE Finding Nemo. "Just keep swimming..." is my mantra.

Lion King. Except when Mufasa dies. I fast forward past that part.
  • My 12 year old has disovered Star Wars and loves them all. She is now playing the Star Wars Saga game on her Nintendo.

I am guessing she will really like the Lord of the Rings when she is older and can handle the scary stuff.

The Spy Kids movies aren't bad either and have a nice family-friendly message. I like any movie that portrays marriage and family in a positive light. "The Incredibles" is a good example.

• Ooooooh, my youngest is addicted to the Lego Star Wars games. They are pretty entertaining. He gets frustrated with me because I'm not very good at them.

We also like Brother Bear, Veggie Tales, any of the Muppet Movies even though they are pretty old.

And Thomas the Train movies.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-04-08 AT 05:47PM (CST)[/font][br][br]My son has been a major Star Wars fan almost literally his entire life. The first Star Wars movie came out when my he was a year old and I remember taking him to see a theatrical re-release of it a couple of years later and his reaction was amazing. That two hours in the theater was probably the most still I had ever seen that child sit (except he turned to me every once in a while with this huge grin on his face and say "Star Wars!" like he couldn't believe he was actually watching it.) He spent the rest of his childhood collecting the action figures, books, movies, whatever he could get his hands on, and now he has passed that fascination along to his 10-year-old son. They still collect the action figures, and an easy fix for any gift-giving occasion for either of them is anything Star Wars themed. A year ago last Halloween they requested that I make them matching Jedi costumes, or rather my son was a full-fledged Jedi and my grandson was his padewan (or however you spell the word for apprentice Jedi). I think they probably re-watch all six of the movies on a regular basis. I personally am a Star Wars purist....I liked the original three movies much better than the newer ones.

Thomas the Train....I own one of those movies and for a while my 2-year-old granddaughter wanted to watch that every time she spent the night (which was weekly). So I got a little burned out on it, but it is good for small children, especially for small children who are fascinated by trains, like she is. I swear, anything with princesses or trains is just IT with her....it they ever make a movie about a princess on a train, she'll be the happiest little girl around!
  • I would chime in with The Princess Bride as well. My kids also loved The Three Amigos when they were little. Well, they still love it. I could watch either of those movies with them at the drop of a hat.
  • The Threeeeeee Ah-aaaaaaaaa-migos!

Little Neddie Neidermeyer, Dusty Bottoms and Lucky Star. (Did I get them right?) Great names. Love that movie.

I cringe when I hear Thomas the Train starting, I've seen it so many times. It's a good show for my boys to watch though. My oldest occasionally prides him on being "very useful" just like Thomas. My youngest identifies more with Diesel and Pinchy the "bad" trains.

I do not believe a single princess movie has entered this house, although we did watch Mulan on Disney Channel once. She pretends to be a boy, so that made it OK.
  • The Princess Bride is different, though. Give it a shot - your boys will love it! Robin Wright, Mandy Patinkin, Fred Savage, Peter Falk, Billy Crystal, Andre the Giant, Wallace Shawn, Christopher Guest, Carol Kane, Chris Sarandon - who else could you want? ;)
  • "Mawaigge... a dweam within a dweam"

Princess Bride is one of those movies that many people (not me) watch so often they can quote the entire movie.

On Saturday I attended a wedding of a former co-worker and good friend. She is 29 and this past year she met a wonderful young man after waiting patiently and avoiding settingling for Mr. Just OK.

It was really a beautiful ceremony and it made me remember a movie called "Joe Versus the Volcano" which my friend told me was a "deal breaker" for her. If she met a guy and he didnt like this movie, she couldnt foresee a long term relationship.

At the reception I wanted to ask her if she had indeed asked her new husband about the movie but as always there was just too much commotion going on.

If you have seen the movie, you know its quirky but it has one of the funniest lines of any move I have ever seen:

"Very interesting... as a LUGGAGE problem!"
  • How about Willow or Goonies? Love those too.

I'm thinking about replacing my VHS copies of The Princess Bride and Goonies with the DVDs.
  • Yes, Willow and The Goonies are both great, too. I own both of those, but I haven't watched either of them in years. I may have to dig out Willow, I don't know if my grandkids have ever seen that one and I think they'd enjoy it. I know my grandson would, but it might be a little too intense for the girls.

Another one I forgot was The Wizard of Oz....that's my 8-year-old granddaughter's favorite movie and has been since she first saw it when she was about two years old, and we always enjoy watching it together.

• Toy Story is excellent, as well.