Okay, so you thought Joannie's week was bad...

On Wednesday I was notified by a state agency that they were "reviewing" some employment and income information we had previously submitted on the behalf of an employee who was receiving state aid. The numbers they were auditing made no sense, so I requested a copy of what I had sent them.

Well...

They sent me a letter that had been written not by me, but by one of the employee's peers. On this letter, the employee claimed to be the branch's manager (she is not in a management or supervisory role at all). She also significantly understated income totals and projections.

We interviewed both employees, and they admitted they had conspired to "mis-inform" the state in order to boost the aid received. Did I mention that these are two of our most popular employees, and that they do a fairly decent job in a position that is difficult to fill?

Needless to say, we terminated them both immediately for falsifying company correspondence with the intent to steal from the taxpayers.

Now, I'm hearing that this has been going on for a year or more, and may involve many other employees. If it extends as far as I am told it may, the resulting terminations will absolutely cripple two of our four branches. One of the branches would be left with only an acting manager - no employees. It would normally have 5 other employees. A total of nine employees - in addition to the original two - may lose their jobs. This would be roughly 40% of our branch operations staff.

And how was YOUR week?

Comments