PHR/SPHR

Regardless of your feelings on the test (and I know some of you have very strong feelings about these certifications) does anyone have any good study materials they found useful? Also, what study techniques/websites/newsletters/etc did you find informative and helpful?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I earned my PHR three years ago by joining a study group that was formed by my local SHRM chapter. We had a professional facilitator and we meet weekly to work our way through the SHRM learning system materials.

I enjoyed the interaction with my study group and we remain in contact to this day. Meeting together also helped to keep me on pace with my studies.

With a week of cramming prior to the test, I passed easily.

I would recommend that you take the practice tests that SHRM makes available. We spent alot of time in our group discussing what the "SHRM answer" would be to a question.

Generally, if I remember correctly, on most questions there were four choices. You could generally eliminate two answeres right away. Then you were stuck with two answers that could often both be "correct". You needed to determine which one was the "most correct" in a "SHRM" way.

I found the entire process to be a satisfying comprehensive overview of HR. I learned alot about unions for example which is not something I work with on a daily basis.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
  • I earned my PHR in June and used the SHRM self study packet. You will have to be very self motiviated to study this way. I think I would have preferred Paul's way better. At times I may have misinterpreted the information and a sounding board would have been nice.
    Overall, it was a learning experience that I would have not missed for the world. It was a very rewarding feeling to pass.
    Good Luck to you!!
  • I am considering going via the community college program linked w/ SHRM. It starts in March and runs a couple of months. Has anyone prepared for their certification exam this way?
  • I earned my SPHR in June, 2006, and had a very similar experience as Paul. I also joined a study group created by my local SHRM chapter that met weekly for a few months. We did not have a professional facilitator, however did have different subject matter experts that volunteered from the chapter to join in on different discussions as we worked through the SHRM Learning System. I highly recommend this system! Our group consisted of about 9 different HR individuals with varying backgrounds (none of knew each other prior to to studying together). We found that the experience we each brought to the group helped each other learn also!

We also took all of the practice quizzes and tests. We would each try to answer on our own, and then would discuss the answer as a group afterwards. I found those discussions to be of great value!

In addition to the study group, the few weekends before my exam, and the few days before the exam were filled with constant studying! I found the conversations with my group helped me through the cramming process!

The test itself was exhausting! However, I also found that I learned A LOT through the process, as well as formed friendships with other HR professionals that I rely on for assistance today! Our study group formed a real bond! Even after a year, we still get together monthly for drinks and dinner!

If you decide to take the exam, I wish you all the best!

• I took the SPHR several years ago. Another HR Department co-worker is currently studying to test this fall. I, too, used the SHRM learning system and highly recommend it. I also attended one of the SHRM prep courses and it was very good. I ended up going through the learning system materials three times and passed the SPHR without any problem. Now, I just make sure to get my recert credits so I don't have to test again!

Good luck.
  • Cheryl, I just sent in my recert file online yesterday. I am hoping they will take my $100 and not ask any questions.

Did you take the PHR before the SPHR? If so, how do they compare?