Yanks got it right

Last night in the Yankees - red sox game, NY rookie sensation chamberlain threw two fast balls at the head of a sox player and was tossed. Yankees management did the right thing, they fined him and suspended him for two games. even though they are in the hunt for the playoffs, they bit the bullet and made the ethical decision. who says they are the evil empire?

disclaimer: Not using caps for red sox was not a statement, the shift key on my son't computer doesn't always work.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't follow any professional sports, so forgive me if this is a stupid question...

Do you think the decision to fine/suspend was about "doing the right thing?" What if the pitcher had killed the batter by "beaning" him in just the right spot. Wouldn't that become a liability for the Yankees? (Or do the players sign some kind of massive release indicating if they hurt by another player they won't sue?)

I look at this from an employer's standpoint: if my employee, performing a job-related task recklessly, put a competing company's employee at risk of physical harm, I would be irresponsible if I didn't punish that employee pretty severely to ensure it didn't happen again.

I'm not so sure it's about "doing the right thing." It's about protecting your company from a big fat lawsuit.

I don't think they did anything different than a normal employer should do. Except they are pro sports, presumably making a gajillion dollars off this player, and they are losing money for suspending him. They'd lose more if they didn't punish him and he did the same thing again.

• considering what other athletes get away with, refer to my other two threads about bonds and vicks, I contend the Yankees did the right thing. Yes, it is all about protecting your organization, but in the end, it means taking an ethical, proper course of action. Unfortunately, professional sports teams are not "normal employers" and do not typically react in the same manner as normal employers, to their detriment.

In this case, the pitcher threw the ball high enough over the batter's head to merely send a message, which is relatively common in baseball. I have to admit, when I saw the replays on tv last night, I cringed because it brought back bad memories of when I was hit in the mouth by a softball thrown hard from about 50' and hitting me in the mouth.

Personally, I would have been even happier had the Yanks sent chamberlain back down to the minors.
  • On the news this morning eveyone on the yankees team including the Skipper and Chamberlain were saying the pitches were not intentional. That if they were tyring to send a message to the Red Sox they would not have sent a 21 year old kid to do so.

Claimer: Not using caps for yankees was a statement, the shift key is working fine.

All that being said... I am very glad to hear that such an action was taken by any team. I realize the ump's were also making a statement before anyting got out of hand.

We are a divided house. We root for the Cards and the Cubbies. Both are very much in the hunt for the playoffs. But alas, only one may eventually get to go. My oldest son has taken to wearing one team's shirt and the other team's hat. Not a problem as he has several of each, but he sure gets some strange looks when out and about town.
  • I went to Chicago for the last 6 days for vacation, and caught a game at Wrigley on Saturday - it was AMAZING!

Go Cubs!!!
  • Where do you want the Cubs to go to? Do you have some other city in mind?
  • Poor Yankee. We have to explain everything to him, don't we?

You see, ray, there's this wonderful little game called the World Series.....
  • It has been along time since the Cubs won a world series.... 1908.

I will be happy if the Cubs or the Cards make it to the play-offs this year.