Serious question

13»

Comments

• We are. So screw you, jerk.

;)
  • I haven't heard of this yet, Paul. What's the story?

I cannot imagine any context that would make name calling acceptable. Wait, maybe she called him a blowhard first.
  • There was a taped conversation Baldwin had with his daughter who is stuck in the middle between he and his exwife. The daughter is 9 years old. He used some pretty harsh language on her that could be construed as child abuse.
  • What he did was unforgivable. However, his ex (Kim Basinger, I think) compounded the abuse by making the tape public and releasing it to the media. Now the little girl gets to be subjected to the public humiliation.

Neither one of them is fit to raise a chia pet, much less a child.
  • I just came across an article defending him on MSN.com. The writer didn't defend his actions, rather she sympathized with him being a frustrated parent going through a divorce.

It sounds like he was frustrated because his daughter was supposed to call and didn't, and she'd made it a habit to blow off her phone "appointments" with him. I'm sure she was being disrespectful and unappreciative, but insults and name calling just make it worse.

The writer also said that we've all said things that, taken out of context, would sound worse than they actually were. Her example was when she told her daughter to stop eating like a pig. Her daughter used her dress to wipe her mouth after being told not to for the gajillionth time. That is just not the same thing as leaving an irate voice mail for your child, calling her a pig.

This girl is being raised by two parents who publicly hate each other, and she's being taught that the way to resolve issues is with mudslinging. Unfortunately this happens with lots of families, they just happen to be celebrities so the whole world gets to watch.
  • Listen to the voice mail here:

[url]http://www.tmz.com/2007/04/22/alecs-threatening-message/[/url]

and decide for yourself whether there is EVER a situation where it would be appropriate to yell, curse, and belittle a child like Baldwin has.

He got called out and exposed as the JERK he is.
  • I haven't listened to it, but that was my point. Insults and name calling are never acceptable. Ever. Not to a child, and not between adults.

Of course we've all said things or raised our voices and later wished we hadn't, but I can't remember ever insulting anyone like that. Except maybe when I was little and called my brothers the meanest names I could think of. I also clearly remember my mother correcting me.
  • What Baldwin did is typical of Hollywood and political elitists. They take a stand and encourage people to join in their cause, but they do not expect or cannot walk the talk themselves. I still remember Barbra Streisand telling Californians to "hang their laundry outside to save energy", but when asked if she planned to do it she quickly responded "no way!" It was unacceptable and the common man might very well have been arrested for the same behavior. Maybe the little girl should be thankful it was a voice mail; had she actually been with him, it may have been much worse (he sounded like he wanted to hit something very badly). And HRQ is right, we've all said things we regret with our children or our spouse, but this was over the top.
  • The list of actors that I simply won't watch anymore has grown so much that I am pretty much just watching documentaries now...

I hope Michael Chiklis isn't a crazy liberal because I am pretty excited about the 5th season of "The Shield" coming out on DVD.

If he is a nutjob liberal, I dont want to know about it yet...
  • Out of sheer curiosity I followed the link...all I can say is WOW! I'm so glad I belong to THIS forum without ever-powerful avatar controllers!
  • Well let me say, I am not posting this to make fun of the other forum or anything like that. Like I said earlier, there is plenty of room on the internet for multiple HR forums of different styles, types, and formats.

I just think its funny to say hello to Frank from a different forum. That's all.

Remember when Laverne and Shirley showed up on Happy Days? I thought that was SO cool as a kid.
  • Laverne and Shirley STARTED on Happy Days, though. So did Mork.

Don's reaction was disappointing. I didn't realize how aggressively crotchety he had become.
  • They were spin offs? I didnt realize that. Mork was a spin off too?

Have you heard the term "jumped the shark"? It refers to the point in time when a tv show (or anything) becomes ridiculous.

The reference comes from an episode of Happy Days where Fonzie jumps over the Jaws shark on a pair of water skis.

You can actually watch the video on Youtube here: [url]

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-08-07 AT 12:12PM (CST)[/font][br][br]CSI-NY is jumping the shark this week with an episode in which John McEnroe plays himself and is a murder suspect.

Now, you can have Mac play himself, or you can have him play a murder suspect, but if your show is resorting to investigating Mac AS a murder suspect, then you can't be far from a ramp and a shark cage.
  • How do you react when someone calls you a dumbass?
  • The episode you probably saw - where Richie and Fonz double-date with Laverne and Shirley - is actually the introduction of those characters to primetime. They got their own show later. Mork's appearance was a bit more bizarre, and I'm sure at the time a lot of people thought Happy Days had jumped the shark. Only no one knew what that meant yet. Mork not only got his own show, but he time-traveled two decades to make it. Of course, the other spin-offs were Joanie Love Chachie (sp?) and Happy Days Again, but those are fairly obvious.

Jeez, Paul. You're such a dumbass.

;)
  • Just dont let it bug you, Smace. That's what I do.