American Idol

I am once again sucked into the madness of AI. It's like a bad car wreck; one cannot look away. Only this year I've convinced my husband and oldest child they must watch also. It's actually turned into some quality family time...in a sick and twisted way. We have muted and/or changed the channel frequently and try to impress upon her that "this an an example of how NOT to act." She's old enough to get it. Although, I was chastized by a fellow mother who couldn't believe I watched that "crap" as she called it. I bet she watches it too, and just doesn't want to tell me.

Comments

• 31 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well, I don't know if it is "crap" or not but to my knowledge no one in my home has ever watched or even commented about this particular program. I believe the commercials are enough to ensure something else is on the tube, if it is even on.
  • Yeah, how does she know it is crap if she does not watch?

I saw parts of it last night. I was struck by two things.

1. Lots of folks think getting on their hands and knees and beggin is more effective than singing their way to hollywood. These are the same folks who will do "anything" to move on.

2. Lots of folks think they can sing. They get this big build up about getting voice lessons since they left the womb, and their mama's think they can sing. Then you hear them and it sounds like grandma was in the rocker and the cat's tail was under it. You get the picture. These are the folks who not like the "Pinball Wizard" described in the Who album Tommy.

He is deaf, dumb and blind - but can play. These folks cannot. And they must all be deaf to not know how atrocious they sound.

Other than than, I enjoy the show.
  • I enjoy it too, well at least I will when the real competition starts. These tryouts are just meant to titillate and provide controversy.

When all those who made it past these local auditions get to Hollywood, it will get much more interesting - those who were merely looking for their 15 minutes of fame, which is the case with the majority of them - will be weeded out.

There are much worse things on TV.
  • I never watch it but I respect the judges for being direct and letting people know what it takes to survive in that environment. If you can't stand the heat...
    ERS
  • I watch Idol faithfully!!! We have a group here at work that get together and discuss who we like and dislike. After they narrow down the field to 20 or so we put together an American Idol board with pictures of the contestants. After they get voted off we put an X over their picture. It's fun for us Idol fans and it's a boost for moral too.

• Admittedly, I've watched very little. I don't like setting people up for failure and IMHO more editing ought to be done early on, not to mention self-editing, but people will be people... and/or... kids will be kids.

IMHO, watching it with the family, using the opportunity to exchange age-appropriate opinions and values for your family...PRICELESS.

• AI is the only show I watch routinely. I also let my 5 and 6 year old boys watch it with me.

My 5 year old dances a lot and says who he likes and doesn't like.

My 6 year old tells me I'm a better singer than all of them. (I'm not - but remember that's why I play the trombone with The Cheese Movers)

I enjoy the train wreck, and I also think they move on to the "real" competition at just the right time. (Right when I'm getting sick of it of the train wreck...)

• Last night was the first prelim program I watched all the way through... it was a waste of time, because the judges just played head games with all the contestants. It became so obvious after about the third time. I'll be watching next week.
  • I don't actually mind the head games so much because that has always been part of the show. The contestants should already expect it.

I just wish they'd find a more creative way to say "This was a tough decision. I'm sorry, but..... you'll be seeing a lot more of us. YOU'RE GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!"

Randy has a new catch phrase every year. This year, it's "good lookin' out, dawg!" Whatever that means. Maybe he could come up with something equally fascinating to say when he gives them the good or bad news about making it to the next round.
  • I would probably go with either, "You suck!" or "You rock!". Why drag it out?

Not surprisingly, all the Minnesota people got discharged. Welcome home, losers, now get back to work!
  • Hmmmm - I think I'll add that to the "overall score" section of our performance eval forms. Cut to the chase: you suck or you rock. Also sends a clear message - no risk of the employee misinterpreting the spirit of the evaluation. x:-)
  • But then, isn't it only a matter of time before your new performance appraisal form gets bogged down in relative degrees of suckiness to rockiness?
  • Here's my proposed new form:

Employee Name:
    Hire Date:
    Date of Evaluation:
    Supervisor Name:

Employee Performance Evaluation

Please mark one;
    ___ You SUCK!
    ___ You ROCK!

Employee Signature and Date

Supervisor Signature and Date

I suppose, then, that the employees would like to use a similar form to evaluate us on the Employee Satisfaction Surveys. x:D
  • REVISION (FORGIVE ME PLEASE!)

Here's my proposed new form:

Employee Name:
    Hire Date:
    Date of Evaluation:
    Supervisor Name:

Please mark one;
    ___ You SUCK!
    ___ You're OKAY! [i.e., not worth the time and effort to replace you, not everybody has to be a superstar, but you're only a hair away from the "SUCK" category so watch your P's and Q's...on the other hand, here's hoping you step up to the "ROCK" level]
    ___ You ROCK!

I suppose, then, that the employees would like to use a similar form to evaluate us on the Employee Satisfaction Surveys. [As they darn well should!!!]
  • REVISED REVISION:

REVISION (FORGIVE ME PLEASE!)

Here's my proposed new form:

Employee Name:
    Hire Date:
    Date of Evaluation:
    Supervisor Name:

Please mark one;
    ___ You SUCK!
    ___ I'm OKAY, You're OKAY!
    ___ You ROCK!

Sorry Open. In today's world we have to make sure the obvious answers (and as far as the supervisors are concerned, the only acceptable answers) are politically correct.

Nae
  • >REVISED REVISION:
    >
    >REVISION (FORGIVE ME PLEASE!)
    >
    >Here's my proposed new form:
    >
    >Employee Name:
    >Hire Date:
    >Date of Evaluation:
    >Supervisor Name:
    >
    >Employee Performance Evaluation
    >
    >Please mark one;
    >___ You SUCK!
    >___ I'm OKAY, You're OKAY!
    >___ You ROCK!
    >
    >
    >Employee Signature and Date
    >
    >Supervisor Signature and Date
    >
    >
    >
    >Sorry Open. In today's world we have to make
    >sure the obvious answers (and as far as the
    >supervisors are concerned, the only acceptable
    >answers) are politically correct.
    >
    >Nae

But, but, but these don't even have a 5 point performance scale allowing different levels of suckiness or rockness. Geez you make it too simple managers might start using it!!

• Performance Eval Form - v 96.2

Employee Name:
    Hire Date:
    Date of Evaluation:
    Supervisor Name:

Please mark one;
    ___ You SO TOTALLY SUCK!
    ___ You kind of suck but maybe there's hope.
    ___ I'm OKAY, You're OKAY!
    ___ I think you rock, but just a little bit.
    ___ You SO TOTALLY ROCK!

I still think they'd get them done more timely using this one than any other versions we might currently be using.

Let's not bog this down with goals or specific actions and deadlines to follow up, though. That would so totally suck.
  • Sorry boys but the girls ROCKED last night! This year's winner will be a woman! Put it on record. I call it now!
  • That was an easy call. The guys don't stand a chance unless they improve dramatically real fast.
  • Hi guys, I havent been around much to post but wanted to mention that I actually watched my first episode of American Idol finally.

I guess its alright as a show. A lot more singing than I care for. Are there ever any immunity challenges or backstabbing tribal alliances?

Of course I have only watched one show but here is my take on how the judges seem to always react:

Randy - Fantastic baby! You started off a little rough but pulled it together!

Paula - I love you! I love you! Dont EVER give up on your dreams!

Simon - Sorry, but I think you were awful. I dont know who you are trying to be. Its unclear. And that outfit? Did you lose a dare?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-03-07 AT 11:26PM (CST)[/font][br][br]It's official, Paul... In only one evening you have now seen every single episode that has been aired, or will ever be aired.

Shades of CSI Miami...
  • Well in my opinion the guy with the goutee (Sundance?) needs to shave it off! However, one of the ladies will win!
  • That's pretty much it, PiCB. I still watch every episode though. That is the ONLY show I actually adjust my schedule to watch. Says scary things about my priorities, I am sure...

Simon would remind you that this is a singing competition. That's why there's a lot of singing. x:D

I never caught on to the Survivor shows. I hear those are equally as addictive.
  • You could probably say I am "addicted" to Survivor if by addicted you mean that I have watched every episode of every season. For awhile that was challenging because we don't have "TV" in our home. But now you can watch almost everything online so its pretty easy to catch your favorite shows.

I am currently watching:
    Survivor (Online)
    Heroes (Online)
    Arrested Development (Netflix)

Survivor was a huge hit but American Idol is a true phenomenon. There are shows that just talk about AI. The interest level is unbelievable.

Since I dont care for singing (unless its 80s alternative) I havent taken the time to watch the show.

Its great that Paula Abdul is kept off the streets though...
  • Idol will get even more interesting when they introduce "theme weeks". Example, they have to sing Elton John songs, or Motown songs, etc. I heard they are going to have ABBA week. That should be hilarious!

You can dance, you can fly, having the time of your life! Ooooh, see that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the dancing queen.....
  • Hey, I used to like ABBA... and I wore white belts and platform shoes, too. Sideburns down to there.
  • Again? They had an ABBA week last season! What a rip off.
  • What a disaster last night was! How could they let Sayjay or whatever his name is continue to the final 12?????? Someone must be out of their mind! Same way with the girls. Letting Haley continue over the good gal was just as nuts!
  • yeah, I was pretty sick about last night. IT's all those 13 yr olds voting for that guy, but I can't figure out who voted for....I can't even remember her name. I think Simon was so mean to her people voted b/c they felt sorry for her.
    Oh well, so goes the drama of AI
  • I agree - Sinjaya (?) must be getting the teeny bopper vote. I bet when he's had a couple of years to mature, he'll be pretty good. He just needs to work on projection and presence, and be more sure of himself.

Sundance is pretty interesting, but doesn't really fit the AI "demographic". Never thought I'd hear a Pearl Jam song on AI.

Hailey can sing OK, but I was floored that she was still around. The other girl is unbelievably talented. Maybe that's it: people already see her as a pro and think she doesn't need the votes?

I have never actually voted for anyone on AI, but I do watch every week.