so who went shopping Friday?

My sister-in-law and mother-in-law both went out in the wee hours of the morning. They were chasing after iPods and digital cameras. I managed to drag myself out after lunch and surprisingly got most everything I needed. Found great deals, too. I'm always, let me repeat, always a late shopper. I traditionally take a day off work the week before Christmas to get it all done. I'm 95% done now. I don't know what to do with myself. I went to Wal-Mart on my lunch hour just to look around for more stuff!

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I drove by Target and kept right on going. I did stop at Home Depot and and auto supply store. Does that count.
  • No, not really. I guess it would depend on how much money you spent.
  • Nothing at Home Depot and $24 at the auto supply store. I bought new floor mats for my wife's car.
  • how can you go to Home Depot and not spend any money?? That's like going to Wal-Mart and not spending money. You're weird! x:-)
  • Nothing says "I love you" like the gift of floormats.

Ray is proof that there are still a few romantics left.

I suppose a psychologist could have some fun analyzing why Ray would buy a "floormat" for his wife.
  • Of course Paul, I wrapped those mats in a brand new Lexus for her.
  • I went shopping with someone who was in the market for cowboy boots. When we arrived at the store and found the parking lot nearly empty and the store eerily quiet, I thought I'd landed in an episode of the Twilight Zone or else the whole economy was on the brink of collapse. Then I realized: The Texas v. Texas A&M game was in progress a few blocks away and on national television as well. Duh. Next year I'll remember to bring my whole Christmas list to the mall during the Aggie game.
  • Wow.. sounds like a Texan version of the "Left Behind" series.
  • My hubby, my daughter, and one of my sons-in-law (different daughter) met at my house at 4:30am and headed out to Walmart. During the course of the morning we went to Sam's Club, Dick's Sporting Goods, Target, K-Mart, Toys R Us, Michael's, and the mall. After hitting several stores in the mall we stopped for a drink at 1pm and decided we were hungry. We went to my house to eat leftover turkey and have a wrapping party (more family was there by then). I didn't buy anything major, but got some great deals. The crowds thin out by 8 or 9am so it was easy to shop and save.

Saturday my hubby and I went back out and got more deals. We went out for about an hour on Sunday afternoon and finished (including stocking stuffers). We have between 50 and 60 presents, with more than half wrapped. The only present I have left to buy is for the family our company will adopt (we don't have the information yet).

I have it almost all done, and I saved a ton of money. I used to be a late shopper. Partly because I didn't time, sometimes because I didn't have any money yet to buy presents, and sometimes because I felt the best deals would be in the week before Christmas. Last year I discovered shopping on Thanksgiving weekend. I hope to never go back to my old ways again.

I don't think it would be the same without a bunch of people. We all helped each other find the gifts and there were lots of ideas offered to help make decisions. Someone could stand in line at the checkout while the others bought more or headed to another store close by. It didn't hurt that we were all so tired we got silly and laughed most of the morning. Yep, I have become a Friday crazy shopper convert. I recommend it to all of you (will I get discounts for your conversions?)

Nae
  • You are a warrior Nae.

I made the mistake of going to Ikea's annual Christmas bonus sale in Seattle a few years ago. We arrived at 6:45 a.m., 15 minutes before the sale officially started thinking we would get a "jump" on the other shoppers. Yeah, right. There were already about 800 people there.

People were just grabbing stuff. It was pandemonium. I ended up buying a chair which wasn't what I was looking for but there it was. If you saw something that wasn't claimed you just grabbed it. The chair was reduced from $200 to $40. While I was pushing it around, a guy offered me $80 for it and I hadn't even bought it yet.

All the items for sale are return items. Most of it is in new or like new condition. Prices range from 30 to 80 percent off. The money raised goes to the Ikea employees as a bonus. Rumor has it that one of the employees working in the Ikea deli had been with the company for 15 years and his Christmas bonus was going to be $10,000.

I like Ikea but not enough to scratch the eyes out of my over-caffeinated, black leather jacket, Saab driving Seattle brethren.
  • Sounds like most of you had success!! I almost went early this year with my husband, but he has a relatively short temper. I just know somebody is going to tick him off and we'll have pandemonium!
    For example, Target opened at 6am. Sister in law got there at 5am. A nice, neat, orderly line forms around the building. Well, at 5:45, the sorry, lazy people get out of their warm cars to stand on the opposite side of the line. The police officer on duty tells them they have to get in the back of the line, that they are only going to open one door, and it won't be for them. They didn't move and actually tried to get past him. Didn't everyone learn in kindergarten how to form a line? And if you see one, you can't cut? Good grief. That's the only part that scares me. I'd hate to poke somebody's eye out and go to jail. But my DH swears he would come bail me out...
  • I can't say I've truly started shopping yet. Especially since everyone in my family seems to put off making a list until the last minute! I wish it was all done already, but what are the holidays without any stress? :) 5 AM is not my cup of tea, coffee, or caffeinated beverage. I was warm and cozy in my bed at 5 AM...and loving every minute of it!
  • Right! It bothers me because I am already seeing signs that say "Last minute shopping ideas here!"

Last minute? Its not even December yet.
  • I guess it is last minute since the stores have been decorated since the beginning of OCTOBER. That irritates me. That and the people who light their outdoor decorations before Thanksgiving. A few in my neighborhood had them up and lit right after Halloween. C'mon!!
  • My better half has an idea to put up programable lights and leave them up all year. You could progam them to adjust the colors to fit each season. Red/White/Blue for July 4th, orange for Halloween, mutliple colors or white for Christmas, etc...
    The ole gal just may be on to something. As our kids get older and leave home and old Dad is the one climbing the ladder again this idea is sounding better and better.