Happy Nevada Day!

So yes, for all you Nevadans, I know it was actually celebrated last Friday, but I think the other forumites have a right to know about Nevada Day (October 31). What other state celebrates its statehood with a state holiday? That is one of the things I miss most about living in NV was getting a three day weekend for nothing other than admittance to the Union.

Nevada is grand - booze, gambling, and frivolous days off....

So, with that said, I'm in a learning mood this morning. Does your state have any weird holidays? If so I may have to make a trip up there (after all, everywhere is "up" when you live in Texas).

Happy Nevada Day/Halloween!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Greetings from NV! Well, you've already described our weird holiday which I thoroughly enjoyed last Friday sans booze and gambling. x0:) Maybe next year I'll live it up! x}>

What would be a special "Texas" holiday?
  • I will just guess and say it has something to do with the Alamo or football.

Nae
  • You know, we really don't have anything. At least not on the scale of Nevada Day! But ask any Texas native and I'm sure they could tell you every important date from the Alamo to when Texas ceased to be its own country, along with Sam Houston's shoe size and Jimmy Johnson's jacket size.

State pride takes on a WHOLE new meaning here. In some ways it is endearing that they care so much for a piece of land, but on other days, it makes me think I should go back to NV...

Needless to say, many people in this state do not take too kindly to non-natives...