NY, NY a Heck of a Town

According to a Reader's Digest poll, NYC is the most polite city. Who'da guessed dat! Check it out...[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13452608/?GT1=8211[/url]

And anyone who disagrees will have to deal with Uncle Guido!

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm thinkin' the poll
    was admin'd by NYC'ers
    and only to other NYC'ers!

• I wonder if 9/11 had an impact on the city in changing how they treated eachother. They have been through alot. I am not totally suprised.
  • Interesting. I tend to agree that 9/11 had much to do with the change or at least the way NYers are viewed by others.

Cheryl C.
  • My husband commutes to NYC every
    week. I think 9/11 has changed
    the impression of the city to the
    world but believe me, one thing
    you are not going to change
    is a New Yorker...not their opinions,
    not their mannerisms, not them at
    all. They are very proud of their
    "New Yorkness!" Sure, they'll give
    you directions as they are also
    telling you where to go!!!Just don't
    get in their way and your ok! As long
    as you know how to take them and don't
    take them personally, they're ok.

• And just for the record, you are describing downstate NY. I live in upstate NY. We're normal folks up here.
  • I've visited NYC five times since 9/11. Compared to pre-9/11 visits, I noticed a distinct difference in the affect of salespeople, service providers, etc. in the first couple of those trips. People seemed warmer and less rushed, and the city was less busy. All of that has gradually changed back over the course of subsequent visits...but I never found New Yorkers that rude to begin with. They're mostly just in a hurry; plus, anybody would be cranky if they had to pay several thousand bucks a month for an apartment the size of a walk-in closet.
  • Ray, to your comment I do
    agree with you and Whirlwind
    is right that they are always
    in a hurry but they love to be
    in a hurry...they don't know
    anything else but when you are
    fighting millions of others
    just to get on the subway you
    have to be in a hurry BUT even so
    they love being the way they are...
    it's a New York thing!
  • How many of you actually live in a big city?
    I don't and can't really relate, but I'm glad to
    know NYC is becoming nicer.

I live in a small town with a traffic circle
    for it's main street.

• Depends on your definition of 'big.' I live in Portland, OR and the metro area (which includes the 'burbs) has about 1.5 million people - but definitely not a big city by NY or LA standards.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-22-06 AT 03:53PM (CST)[/font][br][br]The largest city in New Hampshire is Manchester
    with a population of 176,663 (2004). I don't go
    there very often, except to the mall.

Don't get me wrong. I have been in many large
    cities including LA, Boston, NYC, Caracas,
    Montreal, etc. I can usually get around ok but
    I don't like the stress, noise and traffic.

• I grew up in Oklahoma City and Southern California. We moved here to Topeka in 1986. I am still amazed at how quickly I can drive out of town.

We have well over 100,000 people living here, but the average citizen acts and lives like it is Small Town America. Compared to big cities, we ARE small. But to many of the people living here, this is a big place (and some have never been anywhere bigger).

Nae