We only fire those we don't like

Today on MSN I read an article you might find interesting. It listed 12 signs that you are about to get fired. According to this article, we fire people because we don't like them, not because of their job performance. I copied #6 on the list and pasted it below:

"6. You and Your Boss Are Not Getting Along.
Corporate management will swear it's not personal, yet many downsizings are actually ways to get rid of unpopular or "black-listed" employees. Performance is a subjective judgment and managers are more likely to get rid of people they don't like."

I can't tell you who the author is, their credentials, or how to get to the article because when I went back it wasn't there any longer. Just thought you might be interested to know that though for years you have thought you were gathering proof that the employee was not earning their keep, it turns out that you just didn't like them. We leave employees out of the loop and don't invite them to meetings, give them bad evaluations, and keep lots of documentation on them because we don't like them. Our claims of failure to complete projects or deadlines, and counting mistakes are all subjective. If only I had known sooner!

Comments