Calling In Sick

2»

Comments

• Yes, when they're babies they can be held with 1 hand and controlled much easier. I've always had very good experiences.

• I had a cat for 16 years and never bathed her, she was very gentle and declawed but there was no way she would have tolerated a bath, they bathe themselves. I guess you could put them in the toilet and close the lid or in the shower and close the door but I can't imagine they would ever forgive you.
  • Ok, since we are talking cats, I gotta share this. My cat, Harrison, has a thing (maybe all cats do) for sitting in boxes of any size: shoe boxes, crates, laundry baskets. He is almost COMPELLED to sit in any open box.

If its a really SMALL box he will squeeze himself in and then look at you with this pathetic look as if to say, "Don't mock me! I have a disease."

Don't worry, this isn't an ADA question but I do think he has a compulsive disorder.

Other than that, he is a fine all black Bombay that was rescued after being abandoned.
  • It is a cat compulsion to get into any box or sit on any open book. I used to have a cat who couldn't stand for me to read as I would hold the book up while reading. He couldn't manage to sit on it while it was up that way so he would sit on my shoulder and complain about how I was mistreating him.

I have a cat now that is ok with me holding the book up, as long as I leave room in my lap for him to curl up and purr.

Btw, glad to see you back. I have not been on much in the past 18 months myself. I got on this week to ask a question and was surprised at all the changes. Welcome back.

Nae
  • I realize there is a lot of cat lovers here but anybody wanna start a chat on dogs? I have a Jack Russell "terrorist" which I also refer to as my excercise program! Cat lovers don't hate me but if you have a JRT it is almost impossible to have cats. JRT's see them as a fuzzy squirrel!
  • That's ok with me. I grew up with a basset hound named Red Baron. He was a great dog and was a member of our family...the only one to give love and attention without strings attached.

My daughter drove from NH to WV last summer to buy an adorable black lab. He's not adorable any more at 90+ pounds and 1/2 a brain. I could sell him for $1 but am afraid no one would buy him. My daughter loves him but has little time for him, hence the 1/2 brain and absolutely no manners.

Cheryl C.
  • Nae,

Thanks! Coming back has been interesting to say the least.

Open books, newspapers, wrapping paper.. definitely. He once sat for about two hours in an opened christmas present. I thought it was cute but now I see it as the dark side of cat compusion.
  • Same here our cat loves getting into empty boxes of all sizes and clothes baskets empty or full. Our cat is also really into carrying socks around the house. Makes no difference if they are clean or dirty. We found 9 pair of socks behind the sofa in the den just a couple days past that she had carried downstairs. If my better half lays out her clothes for the next day, her socks, she can count on not being able to find them the next morning.
    We also have two ferrets and they get into anything they can fit in. They are notorious for hiding basically anything they can carry off. We do not leave them out of their cage unsupervised.
  • Perhaps we have finally identified where all the missing single socks go: behind your sofa!
  • Oh, I was sure the dryer ate them.