Baghdad Funnymen

Back when Saddam's forces were still trying to defend the country against the advancing enemy (U.S., Britain, et.al., "Baghdad Bob", then an Iraqi Minister, stood in front of a video camera and proclaimed that there weren't any enemy forces within 300 miles of Baghdad. He said this while enemy tanks roared down the street in the background.

Now we have the "Baghdad Bayan Bleeder" (thanks for letting me borrow the term, Chuck) better known as Bayan Jabr, the Iraqi Interior Minister. In response to the charge that Iraq is torturing prisoners, he defended the actions by saying that at least their heads weren't cut off. Who's writing their material anyway, Dan Quayle?

These guys are prime Leno or Letterman guests. By the way, anybody know what ever happended to Baghdad Bob?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think that Baghdad Bob joined our administration and is writing the material that we never, no time, ever torture anyone but do need exceptions in the unlikely, probably never necessary, but just to be sure, event that we may have to sometime.
  • The other day I thought of a solution to this whole problem. Everyone is hung up on the word "torture," so the Bush administration just start calling it "hazing." Atorney General Gonzalez did NOT write a "torture memo." He wrote a "hazing memo." See? Takes all the bite out of it. What's wrong with a little hazing, really?
  • Nothing wrong with a little hazing, Crout. As a matter of fact, I don't see anything wrong with a little torture....or a lot of torture, if that's what it takes.

I'll tell you what. If a terrorist is caught in my town and he knows about a possible terrorist attack on my town, then I'm all for torturing the little bastard until he's singing like a little baby bird. Saying "pretty please" will not have the same effect.

In place of the words "my town", feel free to substitute "my state", "my country", "my platoon".

• The real issue pertaining to the success, or lack of, torture is "does it work" - when the little bird sings, is it the correct song, and when he dies one won't get another. We are going in the opposite way of the Israeli Mossad. We are moving from psychological methods to physical(torture). The Israeli's moved from physical to psychological in 1999 because they don't think that physical works. At least this was included in a recent article about the controversy.
  • Gillian, that's a good point and if it is effective, then I am all for it.