Lost Cats and Dogs

I just caught a blurb on CNN that lost cats and dogs rescued in Katrina's aftermath are being flown to California. I didn't catch why.

Please don't tell me that they are being shipped to taquerias in East LA or to Don's infamous "Mexifornia Hot Tamale Factories".

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-14-05 AT 07:19AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I must admit to you that there is nothing, nothing I would rather do than rescue animals. I like pet-animals more than I like people-animals. This is one of the saddest parts of the whole loss, the pets. I still want to know what happened to all the animals in the beautiful New Orleans zoo.

• I'm with you on this one, Don. It's been heartbreakingly wrenching to watch the animal aspect of this story unfold. Please, everyone, remember HSUS, ASPCA, Petfinder.com, or a host of other legitimate humane societies when sending your donation dollars. They are doing the best they can under the circumstances to rescue and aid these pets and can use all the help we can send them.
  • Is there a website or toll free # to call? Are they letting people adopt some of those pets? The ones that they can't find the owners for? I would be willing to adopt.
  • Petfinder.com and ASPCA.org both have links for signing up to foster or adopt a pet displaced by the hurricane, or to make a donation or volunteer. I'm sure there are more, these are the ones I am most familiar with. The Houston SPCA also took in a large number of displaced pets and may be looking to find people who wish to adopt or foster some of them soon. Their website is hspcahouston.org.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-14-05 AT 09:54AM (CST)[/font][br][br]But why are they shipping them from LA to CA? I still haven't heard the reasoning behind this. Anyone know?

I would think you would want these animals closer to their homes in case their owner's come looking for them.
  • Maybe because CA does not euthanize.........
  • I don't know if that's true. But, that would be a good enough reason for me.
  • It's too late, at least for the San Diego group. THey are already gone.

PS adopted!
  • Here's a link to a clearinghouse of about a zillion other links related to helping Katrina-impacted/displaced animals:

[url]http://www.omega-news.info/katrina_resources_help.htm[/url]

You can find foster/adoption opportunities, shelters needing donated supplies and food, etc.

• I've made donations for both the people and the pets. I've read multiple stories that in addition to those who couldn't leave for financial or health reasons, others stayed because they couldn't leave their pets. I know how much I love mine and I couldn't leave them. I've also happily seen several stories of pet reunions which means they're making a start. I hope they keep it up and I will continue my support of both the people and the pets.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-17-05 AT 08:49AM (CST)[/font][br][br]In a moment of extreme weakness I was just watching news on CNN. The report said that thousands of pets in New Orleans need rescuing and will die. The problem is that the Louisiana governor has not given permission for the National Guard to assist groups like the animal rescue league. The guard, according to the CNN news reader, has to approve the rescue of pets. Thousands have been rescued by private groups and 400 have been reunited with owners (Who keeps up with these statistics?)

It's interesting that here is yet another poorly addressed problem laid at the feet of the governor.

And remember, this was CNN, not Fox!
  • I have concluded that 'watching news on CNN is an oxymoron.' That outfit can sensationalize a sandbox argument between two three year olds into the next global crisis. The other day I watched Wolfman try his damndest, for the better part of an hour, to link the LA power outtage to Bush, terror, global warming, espionage, and Haliburton, in roughly that order. They are shameless!
  • For what it's worth, here is a link to the HSUS website, which is campaigning to get the government to respond to this animal crisis.

There are links within the website for everyone to email the President, the governor of Louisiana, the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, and others: [url]https://community.hsus.org/campaign/katrina_governmentresponse[/url]

The phone numbers to call regarding this issue are also listed on the website.

Please take a minute to check it out. This issue is not going away anytime soon.
  • "The problem is that the Louisiana governor has not given permission for the National Guard to assist groups like the animal rescue league. The guard, according to the CNN news reader, has to approve the rescue of pets."

I misquoted the CNN 'newsreader'. What he actually said (in my second sentence) is "The governor has to approve the rescue of pets." I think the meat of the story, which the newsreader had not the sense to portray correctly is this: The governor activates the guard. The governor sets the parameters as to what activities the guard can engage in. The Animal Rescue League is engaged, but limited in what they can do. The governor has to approve any deviation from the guard's established mission, in this case responding to animals in distress.

If this person continues on her hell-bent path of inaction and malfeasance, the president should federalize the troops. That would remove them entirely from her influence. Troops can be federalized in very limited instances. Perhaps this should be one of those.