Aretha

Let's be honest here. Am I the only one with 'Rescue Me' playing over and over in my head this morning? If it's not in your head yet, it will be within 15 seconds.

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The beauty of this is that whether or not you post a response, you will be equally afflicted. Happy tunes! x:D x}>

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-21-05 AT 10:33AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Why is this thread named, "Aretha"?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-21-05 AT 10:35AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Because she was the original artists that sang "Rescue Me"?

...and, Don, yes it has been playing in my head since you started it yesterday...

Cheryl C.
  • Actually, HRinNH, it was Fontilla Bass.
  • ...oops...I meant to say "one of the first"

Cheryl C. x:-8
  • Larry; you cannot trick your brain by asking off the wall questions. No matter what you do, the music will take over. Just relax and it will pass like a hard green turd, in a week or so.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • Thanks alot, Don!! Now I've got a song about rescuing green turds that I can't get out of my head.
  • Hear the sound of the falling rain
    Coming down like an Armageddon plague (Hey!)
    The shame, the ones who die without a name

There's a song sounding out of key
    To a hymn called Faith and Misery (Hey!)
    A plead, the company lost the war today

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
    This is the dawning of the rest of our lives
    On Holiday

There's a drum pounding out of time
    Another protestor has crossed the line(Hey!)
    The line, the money's on the other side

Can I get another Amen (Amen)
    There's a rag wrapped around the score of men(Hey!)
    A gag, A plastic ban on a monument

On Holiday

"The representative from California has the floor"

Seek out to the president gasbag
    Bombs away is your punishment
    Pulverize the Eiffel Tower
    and criticize the government
    Bang bang goes the broken glass man
    Kill all the fags that don't agree
    Triumph by fires, sinning buyers
    I found a way that's meant for me
    Check out
    Check out the end of holiday

This is our lives on holiday.

--------------
    I know who sings it and like the tune but can anyone understand what it means? Just curious.
    It might help someone get Aretha out of their head
    x:D

• For a minute I thought it would be Rhythm Of The Falling Rain, then I thought about (dawning of the) Age of Acquarius. I feel sure PairofBeagle will tell you the true meaning of life as found in the song.

• So NG, don't keep us in suspense...who's the singer? And what's the name of the song? I don't think I've heard it so I want to find it on iTunes and hear the 30-second sample.
  • Its "Holiday", by Green Day, on the American Idiot CD
  • Thanks, Lisa! I sampled it and realized I've heard it but guess I never got much of the lyrics. Cool song, worthy of a $.99 download. But - Attention, Green Day: Enunciate!
  • Here's the one stuck in my head this morning. Forget Aretha. I compiled a Best of Dead CD last night from my favorite Grateful Dead songs. I think my favorite one is............................LIVE, of course, at Folsom (not the prison):

Must be getting early
    Clocks are running late
    Faint light of the morning sky looks so phony
    Dawn is breaking everywhere
    Light a candle, curse the glare
    Draw the curtains, I don't care, cuz
    It's alright

I will get by
    I will get by
    I will get by
    I will survive

I see you've got your fist out
    Say your piece and get out
    Yes I get the gist of it, but
    It's alright
    Sorry that you feel that way
    The only there is to say:
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey

I will get by
    I will get by
    I will get by
    I will survive

It's a lesson to me
    The eagles and the beggars and the seas
    The ABC's we all must face
    Try to keep a little grace

It's a lesson to me
    The deltas and the east and the freeze
    The ABC's we all think of
    And try to win a little love

I know the rent is in arrears
    The dog has not been fed in years
    It's even worse than it appears, but
    It's alright
    Cows giving kerosene
    Kid can't read at seventeen
    The words he knows are all obscene, but
    It's alright

I will get by
    I will get by
    I will get by
    I will survive

The shoe is on the hand that fits.
    There's really nothing much to it
    Whistle through your teeth and spit, cuz
    It's alright
    Oh well, a touch of grey
    Kinda suits you anyway
    And that was all I had to say, and
    It's alright

I will get by
    I will get by
    I will get by
    I will survive

We will get by
    We will get by
    We will get by
    We will survive

We will get by
    We will get by
    We will get by
    We will survive

Happy Friday!
  • That was their only top-40 song. Unfortunately I got in a little late. Jerry died right after my 2nd show.
  • What a great song to start off my Friday. Thanks. :)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-22-05 AT 01:30PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Not exactly an uplifting tune. As I recall, it was rather another anti-establishment mantra of an earlier era. But, a worthy contender in tandem with cannabis.

• I just put this back up here so you would hum it through the weekend. x}>

• Nice try but it won't work for me, I have "I want a new drug" by Huey Lewis And The News going through my head.
  • Well when I see "Aretha" I start singing R-E-S-P-E-C-T...didn't she sing that?
  • Some weird impulse prompted me to watch "My Fair Lady" the other night. I'm stuck with "I could have danced all night"
  • Well, I'm glad somebody can. Aretha tips the scales nowadays at 269 and can't dance a lick. Her tour bus stopped at entirely too many buffet lines. I'm told she was born in my hometown and I never did respect her.

• On the way to work this morning they were playing Ella Fitzgerald, "Beginners Luck". That lady had class.

But Aretha was fun to watch when she was young, even though she'd make 3 or 4 of Audrey Hepburn now....
  • O.K. I liked that song, but, I liked "Slow Hand" alot better. I think I will keep that one in my head for the weekend to come. Happy Friday forumites. I am leaving my "menagerie" behind and doing some jet skiing! yyaaahhoooo.

scorpio

Disclaimer: None of my posts are intended to discombobulate any persons. Should this happen, I would suggest taking a "mental health day" and getting over it.

• Originally Conway Twitty. It works.