You Can Have Danica Patrick. I'll Take....

Rebecca Lolosoli who is a founder and matriarch of a village in Kenya for women only.

Umoja, Kenya was started as a sanctuary and refuge for victims of rape who are now shunned by their husbands. What started as a home for about three dozen women has now become a successful and happy community. Umoja has become so successful that they hire men to haul their firewood! (I love it!) The village now takes women who are refusing marriage proposals, fighting sexual harassment, and rejecting genital mutilation.

Because of Rebecca’s success, she was recently invited to New York for the United Nations world conference on gender empowerment.

The men of Kenya have not taken kindly to what they call “troublemaking ladies like Rebecca.” They have filed suit to have the village shut down and have threatened Rebecca’s life and have thrown stones at her. One guy, a chief of a rival “all male” village, said, “The man is the head, the lady is the neck. A man cannot take advice from his neck.” And, “She is threatening our very culture.” By the way, the male village , started up in protest of Rebecca’s movement, hasn’t been nearly as successful as Umoja. This prompted the same chief to say, “Maybe we can learn from our necks. Maybe just a little bit.” (Well, let’s hope so.)

So while Danica and Anika struggle to make inroads into male dominated sports, and Kim Gandy and Martha Burk carry on their fight so that rich women can play golf at Augusta, let’s not forget that there are very important struggles going on at the other end of Maslow’s Hierarchy. I’m not saying that the campaigns furthered by Danica, Anika, Kim, and Martha shouldn’t continue. But girls! Behold, a Woman….Rebecca Lolosoli.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You ain't foolin' me. I know what got your attention in that story!

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • Well, Don, as warped as I am, I DID take this story to heart. One of my initial thoughts on reading about this woman is the difference between the world's real heroes and the pretenders. For example, Hillary Clinton writes about villages; Rebecca Lolosoli goes out and creates one. I put Rebecca in the same catagory as that guy that stood in front of a tank in Tianenmen Square.
  • There was a piece on the Discovery Channel (I think) sometime back that described a location in China where the culture was similar to what you describe, except that it wasn't a female only location. It is both genders, but the females run the place and men see that as normal. Works perfectly.
  • "but the females run the place and men see that as normal. Works perfectly"

And this scenario differs from my household how?
  • At least they used to let us think we were in control. They won't even allow us that dignity any more.
  • Hunter1; I apologize. I often, for some reason, confuse you and LarryC. My remark above was made when I mistakenly assumed you were he. See?

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • Huh??? No, I don't see. I saw the article too, but didn't give it a second thought.
    As I recall it, the women's village was thriving on tourist dollars somehow. What tourist is going to help out a men's village when the men are doing the kinds of things they apparently are to the women?
    Regarding your later post - so, your wife DOES still have you convinced that you rule the roost, hmmm?
  • I am not a man-basher so don't read into this...but if a man really, really wanted the leadership role of the home, he'd act like it. Women have no problem respecting a loving, considerate man. I personally know very few men desiring to be in total control of their home. It seems more appealing for them to sit back and let the little woman run the show.

Cheryl C.
  • I know of very few men who are content to sit back and let the little woman run the show. I do know of a few, and view them negatively. The terms wuss, panty waist, hen pecked and P-whipped come to mind. Not condemning, just being honest. It almost makes me ill when I hear a man say, "She said I can't.", or "She would rather I not go.", or "She won't let me do that!", or "I'd love to go on that road trip or fishing trip, but the little woman said she has things for me to do this weekend." I realize it takes all kinds, but a woman is not going to tell me what I can and cannot do. If that's what is meant by 'rule the roost', that's my position. I pay bills, shop for groceries frequently, slave in the yard, help in the house, do a good share of cooking and most of the Christmas ('scuse me, seasonal) shopping. Maybe it's a New Hampshire thing; but, I don't know many of those kinds.

• I wasn't referring to the wuss's of the world when I mentioned the men who like to sit back and let the woman run the show. I was referring to the lazy s.o.b.'s that take too many trips (physically or mentally) and leave her to do everything. Fortunately this is not exclusive to NH.
  • If you 'know of very few men' who do otherwise, as you say, you're either living a fairly restricted social life or there's something myopic going on. What I see is just the opposite, not men abdicating responsibility and being 's.o.b.'s. But, I'm sure things are clearer through a woman's eyes.

• I'd hope that your wife doesn't need to ask permission from you to do the things she would like to do outside of the home.....would that mean that no ones in charge???x:o

• We both show the other the courtesy of announcing or, at minimum, leaving a note covering this sort of stuff. She doesn't need permission from me. But, if she at least lets me know in advance, it's much more likely that I'll have supper ready when she gets back and a hot wash cloth for a foot rub. The only way she would have to have my permission would be if it involved my truck, my boat or my favorite t-shirts.

• >a man say, "She said I can't.", or "She would
    >rather I not go.", or "She won't let me do
    >that!", or "I'd love to go on that road trip or
    >fishing trip, but the little woman said she has
    >things for me to do this weekend."

Don, You didn't quote those men properly! It should be "My OLD LADY said I can't, or "The OLD LADY would rather I not go.", or "I'd love to go on that road trip or fishing trip, but the OLD LADY said she has things for me to do this weekend."

Nothing turns me on more than when I hear a man refer to his OLD LADYx}> I think that is the most loving, wonderful compliment a man can give his spouse!!!!!! NOT!