Canada vacation

I am going on vacation in 2weeks to Cooperstown, NY; Lake Placid, NY and then over to Niagra Falls. The trip home is around 6-7 hours. I would like some suggestions on things to stop and see maybe on the way home. Any place that is unusual or unique or not well known but fun or interesting? Mapquest shows the route home as I-90 east to I-81 south (through Binghampton) to I-476 to 95 south. I notice there are other ways to go home using 90 south to 80 east; or 90 soutn to I-76 east. Anyone know of a must see place on the way home? Please share with me. Looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Call me nuts, but if you're in an adventurous mood, take I-81 all the way down to I-66 and then head east. You will go through the Blue Ridge parkway and my home turf, the Shenandoah Valley. There will be several cool stops to make like Luray Caverns and Manassas, VA, where you can tour Bull Run park and other cool civil war stuff. I-66 will eventually spit you out near Arlington, VA where you can go to Arlington National Cemetery and see the changing of the guard. Obviously there are lots more to do than what I listed but these are things you can do at leisure on a day trip.

After Arlington/DC you get on the beltway, then 95N and soon you'll be back home.

Gene
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-12-05 AT 10:37AM (CST)[/font][br][br]NG, it's Binghamton, no P. We're not on Long Island. I live about 4 miles from I-81. Ask Sam for directions to my house. I'll show you my newest Forsythia named Sam.

Oh, and from Niagara Falls I would head south east to Rt 86 (formerly 17) then over to Rt 81 south. Rt 90 is a toll road and will take you longer.
  • Thanks, that valuable inside information about I-90 being a toll road.

Susan
  • Yes, I was going to recommend that a 'must see' is a diversionary tour by Ray's. Imagine a guy standing outside a carnival tent shouting, "Come right in, drop a dollar in the fish bowl, step right up, take a seat and watch the famous wiggling chameleon, the gentleman who can turn colors and directions instantly, see the man with one good ear - the one on the left, the man called Toots, the odd Yankee Republican. For only a buck, today only, step into the tent and see this creature, he can recite passage and verse while holding a loooong C-Flat, he can wash you in wisdom and cover you in vision, he can stir up a stink and immediately disappear, only a Buck! Only today, step right in. You there, the lady in the camo costume, yes, you, the one with the plastic rifle, half price for you! Today only. He'll name a star and a flower for you for an extra quarter! Only today!"

If you must choose, pass up Niagara Falls and go by 'Ray's Place'. x:-)

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • Hey, my low C flat sounds like dark chocolate.
  • Sounds like Don forgot to take his meds this morning.

Susan, have a good time at the Falls! AAA has great trip guides (TripTiks) that will map out the trip and highlight sights/attractions along the way...plus warn about tolls and construction along the way.

Cheryl C.
  • I must agree with Gene. If you can go through the Blue Ridge Mountains, by all means do. I've never seen such beauty. Ditto Arlington National Cemetery--everyone should go.

Linda
  • Gene & Linda, we have done the Blue Ridge Parkway, last summer, on the way to and from my sister's house in Charlotte, NC. We thoroughly enjoyed making stops along the way like to Elkton, Virginia! and the "Bedford Boys" memorial in Bedford, VA; and just stopping to get out of the car and follow some foot paths to water falls and such. Plus, a trip to Washington D.C. is only about 2 hours for us so we have done that a couple of times.

I agree, anyone should do it if they have a chance, the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Susan