Fireworks

Anyone care to share their favorite spot, be it local or somewhere you've visited which had the best 4th of July fireworks show?

If anyone is in the Nashville area drop by my house. I stopped at the Tennessee-Alabama fireworks megastore last night on my way back from Atlanta and spent a small fortune on a wide assortment of pyrotechnics. There's even one which I am honestly afraid to light. It resembles a mortar tube and I'm sure it is quite capable of bringing down small aircraft. The fuse is about 24" if that gives you any idea!

But, back to my orginal idea. The best fireworks display I have ever seen takes place at Fort Bragg, NC. Not only are the pyrotechnics incredible, but they also do a laser light show in the sky.

The 82nd Airborne Division band plays the 1812 overture with a live cannon battery. That was really neat, however, the kids would get scared.

Happy 4th everyone!

Gene

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The show that Harrisburg puts on is great. 4th of July weekend is always "Kipona" and the American Musicfest held along the river...lots of bad4you food that tastes great and hundreds of booths and musicians...and the island has a huge Native American gathering.

Anyway, the closing ceremony always has an incredible fireworks show that is choreographed with our Symphony Orchestra....

there's just something about sitting along the river, with the lights in the sky and music.xclap

• Yep, I remember Harrisburg's show. I lived there a couple of years. I think it was City Island (where the Senators play) where they launched the fireworks from over the Susquehanna.
  • The display in Telluride, Colorado is amazing. For those who don’t know Telluride is in a box canyon surrounded by majestic Rocky Mountains. The display echoes off the peaks and is a spectacular thing of beauty. They also have an amazing parade on the 4th where one can observe several celebrities on the street.
  • We go every year to Memorial Field by the Concord High School and watch their show. It's great (as small-city New England shows go) and gets better every year. We also went to Montreal once and watched their fireworks show synchronized to Austrian music. Pretty cool.

We've been to Boston for their 4th of July Show. I heard it was excellent. I didn't actually see them becasue I spent the entire 2 hours searching for my 12-yr old daughter who had gotten lost in the massive crowd. She came through it ok but I had aged 10 years by the time we found her.

Cheryl C.
  • My favorite fireworks display of all time was back when I was a youngster in '81 on a family trip to the Northeast. We got to see the July 4th fireworks at Longwood Gardens in PA from the Conservatory steps. The Gardens were established by one of the DuPonts, and everyone knows what pyrotechs they were...

[url]http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Fireworks/Fireworks.htm[/url]
  • atrimble, I've always heard that and I've never gone there yet. Longwood Gardens is about 30 minutes from here but we've never seen the spectular events they conduct with each season.

I guess the best fireworks I can ever remember was at Lake Anna in Barberton, Ohio. Of course I was 18 and with my fiance' who was on leave from the navy. That might have had something to do with it.
  • Uh, Sam, I don't think those were fireworks you were seeing x:D
  • 1984, on top of a twelve story hotel in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Deep blue, starry sky, 9:15 p.m., sparkling waters below bouncing moonbeams back up to us, lawn chairs, coolers of beer provided by the hotel, eyeing the fireworks box on top of the building next to us, listening to the excellent brass band playing the Marine Hymn and patriotic songs celebrating this nation, watching the first volley and all the subsequent bursts of magnificent color and sound that lasted over an hour, knowing that soon I'd be feeling a vibrant shower bouncing off my back and smelling crisp, fresh sheets and making other fireworks.
  • For 4th of July we used to go up on a bluff to the home of a friend. From that vantage point one 4th we counted 7 simultaneous shows going on in different parts of Albuquerque that we could watch at the same time. It was awesome!

Not 4th of July, but fireworks -
    The most memorable show was a couple of years ago. My brother was living in London at the time of the Queen's Jubilee - 50 years. One night there was a live concert behind Buckingham Palace. He and I walked through all the blocked streets of London, through Trafalgar Square and down the mall to the curved wall in front of the palace entrance. At the end of the concert, everyone both in front (via screens) and in back of the Palace were lead in "All You Need is Love" and "Hey Jude" by Paul McCartney. Then the Queen and Prince Phillip came to the front of the Palace and lit the Orb by the statue of Queen Victoria, and the fireworks show started. In addition to the fireworks, they had lights on a water show of the fountains in front of the palace, and more lights in varying patterns shining on the front of the palace fascade itself. There were a million or more people standing there on the mall, singing and watching it all and I will never forget it.
  • The Macy's fireworks especially if you are watching from a boat (even though there is no access to the immediate area) or from Brooklyn Promenade. And while the fireworks are awesome, more spectacular are the awestruck faces of the children.
  • I bought a trip to NYC for my wife's thirtieth birthday a few years ago for the 4th of July weekend. Stayed in midtown and was able to walk to a good spot to see the fire works. I think there is something magical about watching the fireworks in NYC.

But, as a kid, the best fireworks show(s) I have seen was standing on the Patrick Street bridge, or on the levy, in Charleston, WV, watching the fireworks being shot over the Kanawha River from barges. There was a sternwheeler, the PA Denny, that would be trimmed out in red/white/blue banners with a large flag off the back. My town of Lakeland has a great show for a small town. $5.00 will get you tickets to the AAA baseball team (part of the Detriot Tigers organization) and nice seats to watch the fireworks go off over Lake Parker. Nothing better than watching the eyes of my five year old light up when the show starts. He gets liuder and nore excited with each new burst. My ten month old isn't that interested yet, but at least she did not cry throughout the show!
  • Palmer Lake, Colorado. Small town bordered on the west side by the mountains of Pike National Forest and on the east side the lake (big pond) of Palmer Lake. Each year, the city sets off a firework display right over the lake with the mountains providing a backdrop. If you are in the area, stop by. I will be at the north end of the lake, watching my family while reflecting on how grateful I am to those people who protect our freedom.
  • My absolute favorite 4th of July celebration fireworks took place outside of the US. It was in Vicenza, Italy. The US has an Army base there but this celebration wasn't hosted by the US, the Italians celebrated for us. It was almost 2 1/2 hours long and 3 different fireworks companies sponsored the event.