Workplace Religious Freedom Act 2005

This is a real Act sponsored by Senator Kerry and Santorum, among others.

[url]http://slate.msn.com/id/2120789/[/url]

If this passes, can you imagine what types of accomodations we'll be faced with??

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Oh mannnn. What's next, voodoo dolls?
  • I believe that too often the nebulus concept of separation of church and state has been used to hamper religious activites or used in a descriminatory fashion against those with strong religious beliefs. But, unfortunately in our ever expanding diversity we run the risk of offending someone. Even if their beliefs are far from the so-called mainstream. And since a goal is to eliminate all forms of descrimination, we must legislate allowances for all forms of bona fide religious thought. The problem is how to determine if a particular brand of religion is bona fide. It is a double edged sword.
  • This is a good one for liberals like Beagle to ponder. You notice they never comment on this type of thing, just let it slide to the bottom of the Forum.
  • Just a reminder--the early followers of Judaism, Christianity and Islam were all once considered to be part of the lunatic fringe.
  • Well, I won't have to deal with it but the rest of you will. I think such a law would be a disaster for the workplace. HR will be in the position of having to try and bring reason in a dispute between those who think their religion is the best - no matter what stripe. Not too long ago I had to deal with an individual who was a former gang member and drug abuser. He credited religion with turning his life around and planned to go into the ministry. So far, so good. He upset the work force with his preaching. I talked to him and this is what he said - I am a fisherman, the clinic is the pond and the employees are the fish. I asked him how many fish he was going to catch when they were all mad at him. Then I told him it would be best to find another pond to fish in because he was impacting the workforce in a negative way. He later was terminated by the clinic director after he told her that he was getting romantic feelings for her.

What would he have told me if he had a legal right to fish at work?
  • He was ministering to the fish in your pond in the same manner as was Jimmy Swaggart a few years back. You were probably OK as long as he agreed to keep his worm in his pocket.