Memorial Day Screw-Up

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-30-05 AT 04:45PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, appeared today at the Rolling Thunder motorcycle rally in D.C. Here is a U.S.Army (edit: sorry, Air Force) General wearing a shirt made out of an American flag. This was so stupidly tacky and unpatriotic. I can't imagine who suggested to him that he do that. I suppose he thought it looked cool. Missing was his U.S.Flag do-rag. Even the old 55-60 year old dudes on Harleys had more respect for the flag than that.

He reminded me of Kid Rock at the Super Bowl in similar garb.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Notwithstanding the fact that he is an Air Force officer and that alone should grant him some leniency (no offense Beagle), I agree with Don that this is in very poor taste.

Until you personally watch your friends get loaded unto C-141 cargo aircraft in flag-draped caskets you never truly get to appreciate the things that our flag symbolizes.

Gene
  • I, too, was very surprised that Myers wore an American flag shirt, and would have thought he would know better.

I'm even MORE surprised that an issue has not been made of it by the media yet...

However, having said that, I do really like my American flag necktie. x:-)
  • I have a shirt that looks like the flag but I always thought it was ok as long as the garment wasn’t made from a real flag. Now I have to re-think wearing that shirt. I want to be patriotic and always thought I was when wearing that shirt.
  • I think the protocol says the flag is not to be worn as a garment. Seems to me that leaves a loophole big enough for a truck to go through if you have a shirt that is NOT made from an actual flag, but merely a shirt that was made to LOOK like a flag. A fine distinction, but valid.

The first thing that flashed through my mind when I saw Gen. Myers in that shirt is "he doesn't look anything like Abbe Hoffman." x;-)