unruly bus passengers

Just curious how others saw the clip of the school bus driver and the juvenile delinquents. More evidence of the complete breakdown of respect for anyone or anything - and society would hold us hostage to our kids. No wonder we can't build prisons fast enough. We condone and defend lawlessness from an early age, why are we surprised when they assault and vandalize later?

Comments

• 30 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Didn't see it. What was it about?
  • Give the driver a raise and some sort of commendation. As for the two ruffians, the parents should beat their ass and put them back on the bus with explicit instructions to the bus driver that any peep out of either one should result in another ass whipping.

My wife, being the tree hugger that she is #-o, managed a few "oh my gosh" and "that's terrible" gasps during the news cast last night. Opposites do attract. x:D

Gene

• Well, In only caught a sidewise glance at it, I think it was in Florida, a schoold bus driver cuffed up some teen age boys who were really obnoxious and rude. I believe I heard the driver was charged with a misdemeanor assault, but the kids were charged with felonies - appropriately in my view. I always said I didn't want to take credit when my kid was exemplary, because I didn't want the blame when she went south (fortunately she never did) so I trty not to blame parents too much - but ya gotta wonder who brdings up kids like this..then run to their defense when they get into trouble.
  • Are you talking about the clip of the 60 year old 250 pound man beating two young boys who appeared to be 12 and under? I saw that one. That got my blood boiling real quick. I would love to have been on that bus and gotten a chance to whack that fat bastard! He should go to jail for that. I don't know anything about them being 'juvenile delinquents'.
  • I guess this proves livindonsouth ain't our old Don - cause he would've thought they needed another whuppin. I don't necessarily condone the physical part, but, how does one control kids who won't be controlled? From what I saw, if they'd been mine, I'd kicked their hynies from here to kingdom come when they got home, then they'd go apologize to the driver and anyone else on the bus.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-24-05 AT 09:37AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Must have been a different clip. I didn't see them do anything. The clip I saw just showed this huge guy pounding a kid and then going up the aisle of the bus and pounding another one into submission. Regardless of what the kids did, this is a classic example of abuse of power and authority and criminal behavior. A good lawyer will have him for lunch. He's without a job now for sure and should be.

But, back to your 'hynie' kicking approach; can you give an example or two of behaviors that would rise to the level of that response? Take your time.
  • How about just one example? Compromising the safety of the rest of the students on that bus. What if it were your kids on this bus when it was involved in a deadly crash as a result of the driver being distracted because of these two a-holes?

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-24-05 AT 10:13AM (CST)[/font][br][br]First, my hat goes to anyone that drives a school bus. It is a hard job and the pay is next to nothing. These are the people in charge of a child's safety from our doorstep to the school. They drive in all kinds of conditions with 50 kids in the "back seat". Somedays I can't handle the two teenagers in the backseat!

Second, no adult, not a bus driver or any other profession should have to put up with kids cursing and swinging at them. I'm not saying that it's right to swing back, but we need to provide an appropriate response to kids that are out of control.

This guy was in charge of getting the bus and kids safely from point A to B. The kids were being disruptive and refused an order to come to the front of the bus so that the disruption would stop.

This reminds me of the 5 year old (i think in Florida) that was kicking and swinging at a school official and the kid's mom got mad at the woman for blocking the kicks.

You have to be kidding me!

• What is amazing is how angry the kids parents were (and it wasn't at the kids).
  • I guess that was really my point. We empower these kids to be disrespectful, and worse, then defend them when we should be clamping them down in lock down. Then we whine when they arn't successful. As HR guys, we ultimately get to deal with them and their disruptive, damaging behavior, and they creat more problems than 100 average ees. One way or another, I suspect a great number of them end up on the govnmt dole - whether for room and board or just some other form of welfare. We prohibit teachers and others in authority from making them toe the line, seemingly accept that parents no longer have any responsibility to raise kids that respect others, if not the parents, then prosecute anyone who dares try to curb their violent behavior. I don't necessarily condone what the driver did, but I'm not sure what real alternative he had. He probably shouldn't leave them beside the road.
  • In any role, we all have procedures. There is no role without them. Whether or not we follow them is up to us ultimately. The driver had a set procedural standard for disruptions. It's a textbook list of what to do's. The ultimate, extreme case called for him to pull the bus to a safe stop, attempt to diffuse, use cell phone to first call police and secondly call the school transportation officer. If necessary, restrain the child and make sure others are moved to safety. Nowhere in the procedures does it say he should walk to the back of the bus and start swinging. I find it hard to believe some of you lean toward justifying his actions. When do I, as an HR professional, resort to swinging? At what point in the interview or in a disciplinary conference or in a staff meeting is it appropriate for me to stand up and cold cock someone because of their behavior? Oh, I see. We can't do that in HR. But a bus driver can since he's got a yellow box full of little people and doesn't make much money. That's the way the cops acted in the 60s and earlier. If somebody drives you up the wall, you just wallop the dog sh*t out of them. Most every cop in America used to do that. School principals too.

I'm the first in line to bitch about unaccountability and lack of discipline and lack of parental involvement, yada yada. But, that does not make the driver's behavior correct. Suspend the kids, fire the driver, provide more training, and move on.
  • you're absolutely right.

I don't disagree that the driver should face reprocussions for his choice of response, it was also inappropriate.

I guess what you're hearing is collective frustration that "it's wasn't my kid's fault" seems to be the standard response whenever kids get out of line. Schools are afraid to discipline because of threats of litigation from the parents. The whole things just seems so out of control...and the kids know it! Putting everyone at a disadvantage.

AS HR people it is a concern because someday, these kids will be a part of our workforce..and if nothing is ever their fault it will be difficult to bring them into line in their late teens/early twenties.
  • Back in the day, administering corporal punishment was the responsibility of a designated few. Parents and the school principal were two of them. One or two teachers threatened the use of the paddle and there was the occasional wooden ruler used to rap the nuckles.

The rest of the adult population was generally in the position of observing behavior, stopping it when inappropriate, but never, ever (at least in my experience) administering physical punishment. These folks did not hesitate to let your parents know when you were behaving badly, but they would not get physical.

So, I agree with Don on that one. I also agree that being held accountable is important, and, judging from the tiny little bit of these peoples lives that we got to see and hear about, these unruly children were getting away with it. I think the parents were right to be angry and upset with the bus driver, but they also need to address the behavior that led to the incident.
  • I don't know what "Day" you grew up in; but, in my school years from elementary through high school every principal, teacher and certainly coach owned at least one paddle, some had several. The worst ones I got, as I recall were football coaches and student teachers in the PE and the coaching program. Boy, that group was the aggressive bunch who really could crack a paddle. Grab those ankles was the standard order of the day. Mrs. Gray, a four foot tall 6th grade teacher whacked Pem Davis 23 times with a boat paddle. Don't why any of this is relevant. It's probably not.

Nothing excuses the children's behavior but its understandable since we know the root cause of it. I do not understand the driver's behavior because I can't accept it as appropriate or excusable or logical under any circumstance.
  • If anyone, teacher, bus driver, or whomeever EVER hit my child I would have filed charges against them in a heartbeat. NO ONE has the right, unless of course they had to fight back to protect themself. I have never seen where corporal punishment did any one any good, Violence breeds Violence. I used to wish that my father would just "whoop me" instead of the hours long lectures and the months of being grounded, but I'm glad he didn't and I will never understand anyones excuses for hitting a kid ever.
  • It worked for me. I got in a fight in junior high and the principal (with arms like Popeye) paddled me six times. After the first two, it really started hurting. I never got in another fight.
  • Your daddy should have 'whooped' you. Then you would not be mired in this terribly painful Democrat/Liberal mindset. x:-)
  • Those of us who were never "whooped" turned out pretty terrific (just ask our parents).
  • Lots of truth in your self-indictment, Whatever.
  • Sometimes just talking or yelling does NO good. The eyes glaze over and you know you're talking to the wall.

My father only threatened to beat us, my mother spanked even if she suspected we'd done something wrong...I had two very different extremes. I administered 'capital punishment' to my kids only for defiant disobedience (per Dr. Dobson).
  • Were you allowed to attend the funerals? I think Capital Punishment is death.
  • Capital Punishment is going to Albany, NY or Washington D.C. and being forced to listen for more than three minutes to the legislators talk.
  • I think you mean Capitol punishment.
  • I think you mean corporal punishment.
  • Well I saw the news clip -- pretty darn pitiful all the way round. Yes, the bus driver failed in maintaining his position of authority on the bus when he started swinging. The kids were a mess and somebody is surely failing in raising respectful self-controlled youngsters. That little girl in Florida was a real demon and the two boys on the bus -- pre-thugs for sure. But as adults in charge of these young people we MUST exercise control without smashing them.

I feel for the driver, really I do, because those kids even had the nerve to say to him that he would go to jail for hitting them -- and this is after the older brother had punched the driver.

• Make up your mind Larry. x:-)
  • I DID make up my mind but the posts fell out of intended sequence which makes it very hard to be irritatingly anal. My first answer was to HRinNH and my second one was for Whatever. There. My anal side feels relieved.
  • Shadowfax, that wasn't me. It was the dog.

(Hey, it works at home....sometimes.)