Rural America

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-09-05 AT 05:25PM (CST)[/font][br][br]HRCalico's Bacon Cheese Chicken thread made me howl. So I thought I'd bring it to HR-de-har-har, and ask the question, any funny experiences from rural America?

The year is 1976. I had just had my first son, six weeks old, and we take a road trip to see my in-laws. My ex- is from a small town in Nebraska, population 500. His folks were farmers, lived about 15 miles away from this thriving metropolis. Now, I never considered myself a city girl, having grown up in two small towns in Illinois and Arizona (although the one in AZ is now HUGE) but I drew the line at washing my son's cotton diapers in a wringer washer. So I head into town because they actually had a laundromat, loaded down with diapers and my father-in-laws blue jean overalls. My ex and his brother head across the street to the local saloon, and I proceed to wash. They came to check on me just as the overalls hit the spin cycle. The machine sat up on a ledge, and was obviously not bolted down. The spin cycle gets it jumping around until it hops off the ledge. My ex and his brother get on each side of the machine, and are jumping with it trying to get the lid up so the spin will stop. I'm laughing so hard, I'm useless. Finally, the plug pulls from the wall and everything stops. We laughed until we cried. Eventually, the laundry got done.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey Les! Wouldn't it have been easier to just buy Pampers? Poof! No laundry.
  • I grew up in a rural area of West Virginia. Our town was small, we did not have any traffic lights, but we did have one yield sign. My mom started the town library in the basement of the barber shop. We had a small grocery store (you would not dare to buy perishables from it), a small hardware store where you could still have a line of credit and at the end of the month received a handwritten bill, one gas station and your choice of two churches (both Baptist).

I definitely grew up with different experiences than my son is today. We owned five acres on top of a hill (at the mouth of the holler). Closest neighbor was about a quarter mile away. We rode our bikes everywhere and had free rein of the town. No one locked their doors, you could eat popcorn balls and candy apples you got at Halloween, and the school carnival was the biggest social event in town each year. Days were spent catchiing crawdads in the creek and chasing squirrels and rabbits, playing hide and seek, impromptu baseball games, and skinny dipping in the creek behind the Comer's house. No video games, no VCRs or DVD players.

I have very fond memories of standing in my buddies' yards and yelling for them to come out and play and all the adventures we had. I also remember that if you acted up at your friend's house, their mom/dad would grab you and wear you out. The bad news, when you left they called and told your parents what you did, so when you got home, mom would"reinforce" the lesson you had just learned. I would not trade growing up in a small town for anything. I wish my son could experience that. I think that the sense of community and the sense of family in small towns is something that would benefit anyone.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-10-05 AT 10:21AM (CST)[/font][br][br]ritaanz, check out the year. I'm not sure Pampers even existed, or if they did, were brand new on the market and exPENsive. I was newly married with a brand new baby...no money for such luxeries!
  • I did check out the year. My son was born in the 60's and they were available back then. But, they were pricey. I only used them when we traveled. Lugging a diaper pail, detergent, etc. was silly.
  • Well, just to pamper you ladies, I did a little research to be sure the facts were correct. Pampers were invented by a man - a grandfather - in the 1950s. By the 1970s they did away with the pins and started to use tape. Also, in the 1970s new sizes were brought to the market for a greater variety of options. Here is a website. [url]http://us.pampers.com/en_US/aboutpampers/type/history/loc/left.do;jsessionid=NTLNSOL5MNJYPQFIAJ0X0MWAVABH25K0[/url]
  • Ray, why aren't you working? That's what you get paid to do???
  • Ritaanz, I appreciate your concern for my employer, but if you notice the time and add one hour for EST, you will notice I posted just before noon. I usually take my lunch between 11:30 and 12:30 EST. Am I to assume your post was during your break?
  • Ray, Honey, there is a 2 hour time difference. Ergo, it is 10:30 here and 12:30 there. Got it?
  • I understand that. The one hour time difference was in reference to the time at the top of each posting. xhugs

I can still post because my boss is at lunch right now.
  • I did not grow up in any particular place (army brat) but just last weekend I was in a rural town in East Texas (about 70 miles from the "big city). This town looks like nothing has changed in 50 years, it was quite sad, everything was so run down (including the people). I went out there to attend a political fund raiser with a friend. In this little town there is no meeting hall but in the next town over, about 20 miles, there is a Budweiser plant and they have a meeting room. So this meeting of east Texas Democratic women met in the meeting room of the beer plant. There was lots of 'banes' and cornbread, and iced tea, but the beer taps were covered up since "they all be southern baptists".

They charged $6 for the 'banes' and cornbread 'supper' but if you ask me, if they had let those beer taps pour they would of made a heck of a lot more money! and I wouldn't have been so anxious to leave after 45 minutes. I don't suppose I'll be heading back there any time soon.
  • The town I presently live in has no Main Street but has a traffic circle that divides N,S,E and W. It used to share a zip code with the next town but this year got its very own. Guess we're coming up in the world.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-10-05 AT 04:51PM (CST)[/font][br][br]What is a 'Bane'?

Your mention of Democrat women makes me want to brag that my wife, last week, won the statewide Republican Women's Teacher of The Year Award and she is headed to Nashville for the national competition. I understand this post is entirely irrelevant.

And Judy, I will kindly remind you once again that the word Southern is always capitalized.

Regards, Donald.
  • And the word Baptist is always capitalized, whether Southern or otherwise.
  • My sincerest apologies to Don and Ray and to all the Southern Baptists, no disrespect was meant by not capitalizing.....

Congrats to your wife Don! Hope you cook her one of your great sounding meals to celebrate.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-11-05 AT 10:47AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Gosh, Leslie, I'm honored to have had a small part in influencing this! :>) (PS - I'm dying to know what town . . . I bet the bolted the washers down after that!)

Heartwell is kind of a sad little town in a lot of ways . . . I don't cross paths too much with my neighbors. The kids that do run around town include the ones who shot out our streetlight (allegedly), dumped and broke the planters that the VFW ladies auxilliary put by the flag pole, I could go on.

However, I get a kick out of my in-laws knowing at least the name and face of most everybody around.

Once we start our family, I hope we will be living on the farm (1/2 mile from town), so any potential kiddos can run around a moderately controlled environment. Further, we're hoping to homeschool - I can't think of a better place to do it than on a farm. Lots of opportunities for learning.

I grew up in a town of 5,000ish but my better memories are playing with my cousins on their farm in the middle of nowhere (OK, 4 miles from town). I took a spill down a rocky hillside and cut my head open at about age 6. We were wandering the hills behind their house, unsupervised, and that was the worst that ever happened. I can tell you the good far outweighed it - finding pretty rocks, picking wildflowers, playing in the dirt, the sunshine and fresh air.

I can only hope for similar experiences for my someday children.