Daytona 500

Did anyone happen to catch the Daytona 500 Pre-Race Show? Is it just me or was Brian Wilson's (Beach Boys) preformance the most horrendous spectacle ever televised?

To say that he appeared clinically dead would be an understatement. I was secretly awaiting a wardrobe malfunction to reveal the life support system underneath his costume. Sometimes you just have to know when to call it quits......

I'm also officially coining a new term:

"Getting Tony Stewart'ed" or "getting ts'ed" for short.

He though he had a drafting partner in Dale Junior and perhaps even a nice payback for his help in getting Junior to take the checkered flag last year but...............

Use it to replace terms such as "getting thrown under the bus".

Happy Monday to all.

Gene

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When you figure that roughly a third of the people who attend a NASCAR event have a number shaved in the hair on their back, then it becomes somewhat more apparent why they don't have very high entertainment expectations. I don't know this from personal experience, but, it's also my understanding that approximately half of all female NASCAR fans have a number tatooed on their body somewhere.

(I thought I was the only one without a holiday today.)
  • Nope, the big machine is rolling today in Smyrna as well.

I used to knock NASCAR a few years ago. Then, I went to a race and have became addicted.

Gene
  • Smyrna huh? Something else we have in common then is a Nissan plant. The new one here is exactly one mile long going by my odometer. They've been up and running less than two years and sucked up over 5000 from the available labor force. Most of my resumes come from Nissan or its suppliers. Seems the jobs are not exactly all they were cracked up to be. People want a life and Nissan doesn't allow them one apparently.
  • >Smyrna huh? Something else we have in common
    >then is a Nissan plant. The new one here is
    >exactly one mile long going by my odometer.
    >They've been up and running less than two years
    >and sucked up over 5000 from the available labor
    >force. Most of my resumes come from Nissan or
    >its suppliers. Seems the jobs are not exactly
    >all they were cracked up to be. People want a
    >life and Nissan doesn't allow them one
    >apparently.

Yes, Smyrna is home to Nissan, and yes, it is a mixed bag. Most people around here have never worked for a manufacturer like Nissan in that it is an extremely lean and quality driven organization. People are not used to being robots and many leave after realizing it's not what they expected. Many people also appear not to be able to give them their lives as you said.

Their biggest claim to fame here has been the fact that they have kept the UAW out, barely, several times. They offer above average wages and benefits. I think they may be in for a battle next time around when the union comes knocking. They have started to outsource more and more jobs to contractors who in turn pay peanuts. If that's not a rude awkening then I don't know what is.

Gene
  • Well, I see there are a few of us working today. Happy Presidents Day, or as it's known in the John Kerry household, Monday. I like these government holidays because the traffic is 40% lighter. Kinda makes me think that, what we perceived as a traffic problem here, is actually a government problem.

Gene, I've been a Beach Boy fan since 1961. Watching Brian Wilson try to sing reminded me of George Foreman's last fight. However, go buy his "Smile" CD. It's awesome. Studio mixing can do wonders.
  • Were they able to digitally remaster him and make him hit the high teeny bopper notes without sounding like his testicles were c-clamped?

• Gene ole' buddy, you almost wrote that like you have had experience!!!
  • That ain't the way I'd sound if you performed that workshop procedure on me! I'd have the whole length of my pocket knife blade buried in the top of somebody's skull.
  • Well.....Yes. I try to avoid compromising situations such as these but sometimes my mouth writes checks that my a** can't cash.

Gene
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-21-05 AT 10:09AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Sorry I missed the pre-show and race, I was on a customer outing at a hunting lodge. What a stress reliever, plenty of adult beverages on Saturday night, great food, good camaraderie, excellent breakfast on Sunday morning followed by the hunt. Between four of us in our group we harvested 25 pheasants in our two-hour time limit. Other groups got more and some got less but it was a fun time for all, even some of the pheasants, some got away. It is such a joy working with trained hunting dogs, just to see one go on point, follow the bird and bring it back in a soft mouth grip, man-o-man!

I know, some of you gun control and anti meat /anti hunters will chastise me but I have been hunting pheasant since I was 10 years old and a pheasant cooked to perfection is great. My favorite is the breast wrapped in pepper bacon and slow cooked in the oven or smoker, I think I’ll have a pheasant and trout cook this weekend. One other point I want to make, there is an overabundance of pheasant in our area so I don’t want you to think we are eradicating the bird population.

• Well, Safety, if you've been huntin' that damned pheasant since you wuz 10, it's about time you caught him. Congratulations!
  • You're right--Brian Wilson was horrible. I was embarrassed for him. May he never perform live again.

I call it "NAPCAR" since it's a great program to tune in on the TV and take a nap! Almost as good as golf.