In California

In preparation for our renewal of our Employment Practices & Fiduciary Liability insurance policy, we were asked to fill out a renewal application, which is normal procedure. In the past, question #6 was always:

Number of employees:
Total_____Total U.S.____ Full Time___
Part Time______

This year the question reads:

Number of Employees:
Total_____Total U.S.______Full Time___
Part Time_______ In California_____

Two observations:
1. Our insurance company is more concerned about having employees in California than they are about having employees in other countries.

2. They don't consider California to be part of the U.S. (I'm kinda on the fence on this one)

By the way, my answer to the In California question was , "No. Thank God."

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our EPL insurer must be more paranoid (or more risk-averse) than yours. In addition to asking whether we have California ee's, it asks how many are in Texas.
  • Hey, wait a minute! Texas is a great place to have employees. Anyone want some of mine?
  • If they can weld, be punctual, and can stand the awesome natural beauty of New Hampshire's ever changing weather, send 'em my way!

Cheryl C.
  • Yeah, but Cheryl, didn't you guys lose your spokesmountain? And doesn't that make your commemorative quarter a collector's item?
  • Yes in May of 2003. It "stood for centuries as a testament to the steadfastness of New Hampshire's Yankee character and the resolve of its people" -- Governor Craig Benson

I guess you're right about the quarters...I wonder what they're selling for on e-bay these days?

Cheryl C.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-16-05 AT 02:29PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I'd guess at least twenty-five cents.

Guess your governor's remarks were a little premature, huh? x;-)
  • I checked, they're going for 60 cents on ebay.

Benson made the remarks after the Old Man fell. Here's the complete paragraph...

"From its mountainous perch, the Old Man has stood for centuries as a testament to the steadfastness of New Hampshire's Yankee character and the resolve of its people. This rugged yet beautiful monument fit the character of the pioneers who founded this state, the immigrants who built it, and the spirit of those who live here today. It was the ultimate symbol of those who would "Live Free or Die." And while that symbol may have fallen, that spirit still remains."
    -- Governor Craig Benson

Cheryl C.
  • I dunno, Cheryl. I had a high school girlfriend from Manchester who used to show me pictures of the mountain - I never really could see an old man as much as I tried.
  • Maybe you were too busy looking at hers.

Try this link and you can see the before and after photos...I took many a friend and family member to the viewing spot to see it. It was impressive. The time we made the 1-hour drive to see what the spot looked like after it fell, there were actually people standing around crying that it wasn't there anymore.

[u][url]http://www.nh.gov/oldman/[/url][/u]

Cheryl C.
  • Maybe you were too busy looking at hers.

I'm aghast!
  • >I'm aghast!

Yeah...ok, Don.

• >Yeah, but Cheryl, didn't you guys lose your
    >spokesmountain? And doesn't that make your
    >commemorative quarter a collector's item?

Speaking of "commemorative quarters" I received the following from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis: be sure and check your Wisconsin quarters.
    "A Statement from the United States Mint - February 8, 2005: We are aware of the extra leaf-like markings on the reverse of some Wisconsin state quarters that bear the "D" mark. The United States Mint is looking into the matter to determine possible causes in the manufacturing process. It is unknown how many of these specific quarters may have been produced. We are not aware of any past instances in the 50 State Quarters program similar to this. Quality control is a high priority for the United States Mint and will remain so. Therefore,we are reviewing retained Wisconsin quarter samples, examining our process assurance inspections, and reviewing our manufacturing porcesses. In total 453,200,000 Wisconsin quarters were minted for up to a 10-week period. About half of those were minted at the United States Mint at Denver, the other half at the United States Mint at Philadephia. Each state quarter is not minted beyond the specific 10-week period. For further infomation, please contact the Office of Public Affairs, U.S. Mint."
    Good luck,
    Dutch2
  • Well, of course, Wisconsin quarters are going to be worth much more than quarters from other lesser states. Just imagine what your quarter would be worth if it had a picture of a cow, ear of corn, and a round of cheese on it.

Unfortunately, those quarters appear to have been distributed in the Southwest, so we don't have any of them up here.
  • Phew, for a minute I thought you were lumping NH in with those lesser states but then you mentioned "Southwest".

What could make it more valuable than having a stone-faced profile on both sides?

Cheryl C.
  • NH is what? and you get a quarter? what for? and what stone faced profile? I do remember reading somewhere where a hill with some rocks on it fell down and people were upset about losing heritage, but what heritage? Help!
  • Try to keep up Gillian...the # of ?'s and incomplete sentences in your post exceed the maximum allowed by the forum ettiquette police for a Thursday afternoon. x:D

Cheryl C.
  • You are in the afternoon somewhere? It's morning here.
  • Cheryl, I do believe Gillian was trying to provoke you. The reference to a "hill" instead of mountain, etc.

It's understandable, though. Out here in the West, we have MOUNTAINS! Anyplace I've ever been back east, they have "mountains" that we would consider hills.

And I still didn't see any old man in the pictures.

And what do you mean by afternoon? It's only 11:20 here.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-17-05 AT 01:55PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Yes, I was sure I was being baited for a state pride duel but, alas, I'm a lover, not a fighter x0:)

I've never actually been to CA, Gillian, but my family and I will be visiting a large chunk of it in May. Maybe I'll get to see some MOUNTAINS then, take pictures and educate the rest of the Yankees on what a real one looks like.

Where abouts is your office? We'll be spending time in between San Diego and San Francisco. Looks like a big stretch on the map but my husband doesn't believe in relaxing on vacation.

Oh yeah...and it's 2:55 here in the p.m. I'll be going home for the day in about 2 hours. :DD

Cheryl C.
  • I'm in north San Diego county, about 45 miles north of the city. Take two days to drive to San Francisco - straight through is for the young (not that you aren't)or those who want to take risks.
  • Young? Depends on whom you ask. x;-)

We'll fly into San Diego and may stay over night and see the zoo or the old San Diego in the morning...but we'll be in Los Angeles (Montebello) for at least the weekend. My husband and one daughter also want to go to Las Vegas but I'd rather make that a separate trip.

We'll also be going to Bakersfield and then to Hayward (near San Francisco).

I'll need to take a separate vacation after we get back...

Cheryl C.
  • In Old Town, go the Old Mexican Cafe for their carnitas. It's just outside of the park. And you may not see real mountains between San Diego and San Francisco. There are a few little ones north of LA, but the real Ca. mountains are in the Sierra's or north of San Francisco.
  • Carnitas, huh? Are they like Empanadas? or Spiedies?

God I hope we won't be going way up to the Sierra's this trip...I'd like to actually get out and walk around some; not spend the whole week in a rental car! But I'll post a photo to prove we went West.

• >
    >Unfortunately, those quarters appear to have
    >been distributed in the Southwest, so we don't
    >have any of them up here.

All we get are quarters from Canada and you know what they're worth.