ARRRRG! Mgr. making decisions while P.O.'d

Employee put in two week notice today after completing rather expensive training. (semester tuition, books, supplies, time in class, etc) I'm ticked about it, yes...BUT Mgr has decided to terminate effective immediate rather than pay-out the two week notice our company requests.

I brought to mgr attention that he will turn a resignation into a termination and it may come back to us in UI claim - also that this action will probably keep other employees from tendering any form of notice in the future to avoid losing two weeks of pay. I also told him that he shouldn't make a knee-jerk decision while angry - Does he listen? NO! Just had to rant a moment and ask how the rest of you handle this kind of stuff on a day-to-day?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If we accept a resignation immediately for an exempt ee, we pay out the 2 weeks then walk to the door. The boss is happy because the ee is gone and the ee is happy because they get the money.
  • My first reaction is that this should never be a department manager's decision in the first place. If the manager wants to recommend to HR that the ee be cut loose with two weeks pay, that would be appropriate. You will for certain make him/her eligible for UI. Do you not have the authority to just say no?
  • In Texas we can accept the 2 week resignation, then ask them to go ahead and leave without incurring the UI problem. If it is more than 2 weeks, we can't. BTW, we have employees sign an agreement when we send them to training that if they quit within one year we can take the money out of their final check. I've often wondered if this is treading too close to an employment contract.