Compensation & Perspective

I was reminded today of one of my all time favorite cartoons. This will lose something in the translation from visual to the written word, but, picture this if you can:

A rooster is walking through his front door into his living room with his chest all puffed out, big smile on his face. You can see that he's proud of something. A hen is sitting in an overstuffed chair. The rooster says: "Guess what, Honey, I got the job, and they pay.........

chicken feed!!!"

I know, I have a weird sense of humor, but everything depends on your perspective.

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Let's take this one step further. Instead of a pay check, why don't we pay our people in food certificates? No one would be hungry. Naked but not hungry. x:D
  • You must be pretty warm in AZ for you to think of food over clothing. It was -7 on my way to work this morning.
  • That's cute, Hunter. Now if they were elephants he would say "Peanuts!!"
  • I'm older than most of you (except, maybe Pork), so don't know if chicken feed is a saying most of you use. It means a trifling amount of money, so it only works with chickens.
  • I remember a cartoon where two dogs were watching their owner putting food in their bowls. One dog got excited and said to the other, "Oh, boy! We're having dog food again!" 8-}

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Can this be related to the guy whose sign says 'will work for food', knowing he won't? A chicken, a dog and an elephant will work for food. On a totally unrelated note, I watched a special early this morning about some explorers somewhere in Africa who were showing a way to run mosquitoes off. They said you always have to carry elephant dung in the boat. They had three hard 'balls' of it in the stack. The small fire was crackling and they placed one of the balls on the fire. The 'aroma' reportedly repels mosquitoes. Somehow this comment seemed appropriate when I started typing; but, I'm not so sure now.
  • I suppose dung and compensation can be related. However, to continue your hijack on the use of such, buffalo farmers are known to sell dehydrated buffalo dung at county fairs to be used as a source of fuel. There is no aroma and it burns like charcoal briquettes. Apparently camel dung was used similarly by Moses.
  • The things we get talking about on the forum...

Well, I'll chime in here. My husband was watching a program on the discovery channel about an African tribe that gets everything they need from their cattle. It was so nasty that I couldn't watch it but the mildest of their necessities gleaned from cows was that they drank the cow's urine. The cow dung was used for other things including flavoring in their food.

Regarding camels and Moses...I read a book that was written about Moses' wife, Zipporah. Immediately after giving birth to each of her sons, the newborn baby was washed in camel urine...a custom still practiced by the Bedowins today.
  • I've never picked one of those guys up. You mean that they actually won't work for food? Has anyone ever tried suing them for false advertising?

I don't know about those guys with a fire in their boat either, doesn't seem like a good idea to me, repelling mosquitos or not.
  • Actually, the fire was on a sandbar, it appeared. While the boat was underway, the wind handled the mosquitoes. But, back to Moses. His wife, Zipporah, is well known as one of the original firebuilders and for that reason had the Zippo lighter named after her some years later. It goes all the way back to Moses being discovered in the bull-rushes, which are brittle plants similar to cat-tails, which, when dried, often would ignite by themselves. That's how Moses gained popularity for cooking steaks and actually opened the very first Ruth's Chris Steak House in Mesopotamia.

I've also known of stories about women actually beginning the birthing process while seated on a toilet. Should we relate this to the custom of rinsing the newborn in (I can't say it)?

I'm a master fire builder and have often told my road-trip buddy, Tom, "Tom, you don't know sh*t about startin' no fire." Could this have any correlation to dung fires?
  • I can't quite follow this thread but the following article seems appropriate to post here. I think I will stay far away from Ferndale Washington.

Firefighters Fight Manure Fire with Manure
    Firefighters have their hands full fighting a smoky, smelly fire at a manure lagoon on a dairy farm in Ferndale, Washington.
    The 3-acre, 24-foot deep lagoon's manure had dried to a crust, thus the idea to smother the manure fire with wet cow manure. Firefighters have received complaints about the odor as the fire continued to burned for the fourth day.
    The cause of the fire is not known. It ignited in brush wood chips and shavings on the surface of the dried manure. Firemen believe it of been a lit cigarette, or spontaneous combustion that started the fire.

• Yeah, and the other day while I was driving down the highway, I had a car pass me with four young guys in it and as they went by, all but the driver looked over at me and were making a motion like they had Bic lighters in their right hands and were 'flicking their Bics'. Anyone know the meaning of this gesture? I'm familiar with some other gestures, but not this one. : )

How's that for taking this thread in a whole new direction? (At least I thought it had something to do with fire.)
  • Maybe your hair was on fire? x;-)
  • Rubbing the thumb in fast succession against the first two digits of one's first two fingers is symbolic of asking for money, as in, "Hey man, cross my palm with a little green." I think they had a different offer in mind. Have you checked to see whether one of your 'friends' has affixed some sort of message to your back bumper?