Employee Satisfaction

There once was a young man who, after bouncing around from job to job, decides to join a monastery in an effort to understand and appreciate the meaning of life.

He finds a monastery high in the Andes Mountains that agrees to accept him. Upon arrival he is informed that he will spend every waking moment of his time meditating in an atmosphere of total silence and that he will allowed to speak only two words every ten years.

So, the years go by and on his tenth anniversary he is called into the Bishop’s office and given the chance to utter his two words. He thinks for a minute and says, “Food cold.” The Bishop thanks him with weak smile and a silent nod and he returns to his meditation.

Another ten years go by and on his twentieth anniversary he is again called into the Bishop’s office and given the chance to utter his two words. He thinks for a moment and says, “Beds hard.” The Bishop again thanks him with a weak smile and a silent nod and he returns to his meditation.

Ten more years pass – the man’s been meditating for thirty years, and he is once more called into the Bishop’s office and given the chance to utter his two words. He thinks for a moment and says, “I quit!” The Bishop patiently and knowingly nods his head and says, “Well, my son, somehow I’m not surprised – you’ve done nothing but complain since you got here.”

Comments