Survivor!

Allright all, its that time again. What did you think of last night's premier episode?

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I got hornswaggled into attending a fundraiser with my wife and was not smart enough to remember to record it - so I have no thoughts yet, don't even know what happened. But I am curious. I cannot imagine it will rise to the level of the all-star survivor, but I am willing to be surprised.
  • I also missed it can you summarize the events.
  • Ok, here's a summary which didn't quite live up to the previews. As the cast aways were approaching the island, they were met by a local tribe who paddled out in canoes. The castawys then got in to canoes, three at once, with a local tribe member, and their canoes were surrounded. After landing on the beach, they were met by locals jabbing spears at them. They then took part in a ceremony of some sort, the men and women were put in separate groups. The men got to drink a local drink, the women got nothing. A pig was sacrificed and the men got to have pig blood smeared on their face, again, not the women. Jeff then showed them a spiritual rock, a sort of good luck talisman. It was placed on top of a pole, about the height and girth of a telephone pole, which was greased with pig fat. If the men were able to get it, they kept it. If not, the women got it. The first man to try did get the rock.

From there we had typical first day shenanigans, bickering, some working, some loafing. One of the men has a prosthetic leg, a fact that he told his tribe mates on the second day. That was quite a shock, he's amazingly mobile, agile and doesn't even limp.

First challange, the prize was flint for starting a fire and immunity. One of the men was unable to cross the balance beam after repeated attempts, the women won, and the first man, a young man from Winthrop (a small town right outside Boston) was voted off. Surprisingly, the one who could not cross the balance beam remained although he did get several votes.

so, thats just about it.
  • RAD: There are only three possibilities here: Ether you have a photographic memory, you are reading from a newspaper or magazine analysis, or you are just pure sharp as hell to be able to recall/recite all of that. So, which is it?

BTW/I have not a damned clue what any of this is about, just commenting on your post.
  • I am sharp as hell, I thought you already knew that? ;;)
  • Don't watch it anymore. It's all fixed. Do you ever wonder why each person voted off was never talked about on the clips? So, it's a surprise when they do get voted off? Why wasn't the balance beam person voted off then? Do you ever wonder why each week the vote goes boy, girl, boy, girl? How is it that it is allways convenientyly eqaul male and female at the end - the last 5 or six members?
  • I doubt the show is fixed, or the people that lose would be squawking big time. BUT, I do agree they edit the show a certain way to keep us in suspense. We all assumed that Chris was going because he couldn't balance; we don't see what goes on for the entire 24 hour day, just the 15 minutes they choose to show us.
  • Forgive the hijack, but how bout it mel. .who's going to take big brother tonight?
  • Oh, sorry I'm a day late and a dollar short . . . BUT if I had to place my bets I would have said COWBOY, no doubt in my mind. Obviously, I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm glad Drew won though . . . both of them deserved it. I was so glad to see Diane gone.

If only Scott would have stayed longer; he was definitely something to look at! ;;)
  • He was a cutie. .Jase still annoys me to no end..he and Holly are a pair. I enjoyed this one, much better than last time when no one could stand either of the final two. That's it for my reality show allowance! One per year
  • Yea, but still, How come there are allways equal # of males and females at the end of the show? How come they still get voted off in a pattern - boy girl boy girl? How come the when it gets to the point where they have that panel (can't remember what it's called) the ones who vote on the ultimate winner is exactly equal # of males and females?
  • It stands to reason that when you start out with an equal number of males and females, you will end up with equal numbers. And since they tend to stick to gender lines, when a man is voted off, that leaves more women, so the guys vote for a woman to even it all off. I never picked up on this phenomenon but thats what I'd assume is happening.
  • No, I don't think there is anything natural about it. I would think there would be times when (like you say sticking to gender lines) for example two or three times in a row when a male for example wins the immunity challenge he would use the opportunity to vote off a female - following your logic; there would be three less girls and three girls voted off in a row. That never happens though.
  • NG . . . It seems the last time it was boys vs girls there was a lopsided team for awhile. It certainly doesn't go boy girl boy girl.

If you don't believe in the show, why have you continued to watch? It's addicting, isn't it?
  • I caught last nights episode. It was mildly entertaining and I was glad to see Dolly voted off. She was so blatantly playing those groups and so verbal about it. I thought she might get caught speeding. The "younger" girls were all so surprised. Just goes to show you age and deviousness will win out over youth and enthusiasm.

My 28 year old son watched a while with me and caught the interaction between the young guy and the old guy early in the show. He was surprised that the old guys voted off a superior athlete in the previous episode because of the threat he represented. His big deal was, the old guys are going to lose the immunity challenges if they vote off the athletes and then be at a disadvantage when the tribes merged. The women would gang up on the men and eliminate them one by one. So if the old guys are going to get voted off any way, why not keep the athletes?

He could not get that I would protect myself as long as I could and take my chances in a merger. He was quite upset with me. Just shows a different viewpoint I guess.
  • I thought the same thing about Brook being voted off last week. A strong person can only help them now.

I was a little surprised to see two balance challenges in the last two shows. Women are typically better at balance than men (because of the shape of our pelvis and leg swing). I found it real funny that the men seemed so hesitant to touch each other! Maybe it was my imagination but they seemed to try to touch as little as possible while the women got as close as possible to make it across.

• I had speculated that by the time the donuts arrived, most would have already opted for fried rattlesnake. It became a matter of who would actually try it. Then the train thing. Nobody in his right mind would have left his foot on the track that long. Who among us could have guessed, though, that the tongue left in that box would have caused that stir. It wasn't real, is my guess. But, voting someone off simply because of the checkered boxers is confusing.
  • Did you say checkered boxers? Mmmmm......Savage!