The Most Beautiful Thing

I was on vacation last week and visited my father in central Pennsylvania. He lives near Lake Raystown (a 26 mile long man made lake - thanks to the Army Corp of Engineers). We (my daughter, mother, father and myself) decided we were going to see the dam. Unfortunately due to 9/11, you can no longer drive on the dam, so instead we went to the overlook. As we were walking up, a beautiful Bald Eagle flew right in front of us. How wonderful it was for my 8 yr old to see a Bald Eagle in the wild. We were in awe, it was the first time any of us has seen one outside a zoo. He circled around for a while and then caught a thermal and was gone. We hiked to another overlook and as soon as we got there, he flew right in front of our faces again. To fast for any pictures but a memory that will never be forgotten.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Parts of PA have a significant bald eagle population. Several years ago I was visiting the "Grand Canyon of the East" near Wellsboro, PA. Near the canyon they have placed some old observation towers that the forest rangers used back in the 1930s up to about the 60s. We climbed one (they charged $5 per person) and had a beautiful fall view. After finishing off my last roll of film, a large bald eagle appeared and flew right at the tower coming within about 20 yards before swooping off. Very graceful birds.
  • Here in Portland you can sometimes see bald eagles out here in the suburban wetlands where the office parks are. They are very graceful and fascinating to watch. Recently there was a news story about two eagles that got into a bit of a brouhaha and successfully tangled themselves together in a tree. Fire dept. had to free them.

You didn't mention, however, whether it was a democratic bald eagle or a republican? Since he kept circling, I'm guessing he was a democrat. x;-)
  • I work right near a wonderful park preserve. There is talk that the road through it may be closed because of 9/11, but for now it is still open. From time to time we can spot a bald eagle or two while riding through. It is a wonderful sight indeed!

Would like to think that they are all Independents -- if you notice they circle very widely so they can get a full view of things.

• About ten years ago I went to visit a friend who was a Fish Biology student at U-Mass Amherst which is in central Mass. They had sighted a bald eagle, the first seen in I don't know how long, and set up a telescope so folks could see him on his perch. I could not tear myself away...it was beautiful. I remember being so overwhelmed.