It Just Gets Uglier and Uglier

I think I want to go on vacation to Bora Bora or maybe Pago Pago until after November 2nd.

First Kerry's a war hero. Then Bush is a war hero (he warmed a stool at the O-Club in the TXANG, didn't he?).

Then the Swiftboat Veterans for "Truth" start running their ads minimizing Kerry's actions in Vietnam.

Now there is revealed an apparent connection between the Swiftboat Veterans and the Bush campaign, a violation of Sec. 527 of the Internal Revenue Code.

Oh, well. I suppose it could have been worse. They could have just paid some yahoos to break into the Democratic National Committee offices. x;-)

Comments

• 42 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • >
    >Now there is revealed an apparent connection
    >between the Swiftboat Veterans and the Bush
    >campaign, a violation of Sec. 527 of the
    >Internal Revenue Code.
    >
    Just to set the record straight. This group of gentlemen approached GWB and tried to get him to allow them to appear with him and use their "documented" and first-hand knowledge of Kerry's military actions, and GWB refused to cooperate. I have a friend whose uncle contributed to the collection of stories for the book and served on a sister boat with Kerry. It has also been brought to the surface that 2 of the veterans that supposedly served under Kerry and were on the platform at the convention truely did. One for 2 days and the other for 5 days. So yes, it is getting Uglier and Uglier.

• I heard something about that on the news this morning but I just covered my ears and yelled "la la la I can't hear you! This whole election is joke, la la la"

I'll bring the sunscreen Beag.
  • >I think I want to go on vacation to Bora Bora or
    >maybe Pago Pago until after November 2nd.
    >

Hey, Beag, I think you're already on vacation. I see you're on the beach! I can tell because I notice your head still in the sand.

I'd much rather be meeting in a motel room with a bunch of Swiftboat veterans than meeting in a motel room with Michael Moore, Sean Penn, James Carville, the sleazeball billionaire propping up the Democrat dirtywork and Barbra Streisand. It is laughable that Kerry has surrounded himself with cartoon characters in his election efforts.

There is absolutely no proof of any connection between the Bush campaign and the Swiftboat veterans for truth. Are these 47 men suddenly dishonorable liars because they seem to have alligned with the Republican side. So, now their service is tarnished and there is no truth in their message. I've seen and heard several of them interviewed at length and have read portions of the book. They seem quite honorable and truthful to me. But, I'm sure they are just reading remarks prepared for them by George Bush. All 47 of these 55-65 year old honorably discharged veterns certainly are liars. They probably all work for Haliburton and live on ranches in Texas as well. Another right-wing conspiracy.
  • Owenlady just dropping in my 1 cent worth!
    Don't suppose any of us who were not there can ever be 100% convinced of the truth of what happened on the Swift Boats. I know which side I believe.

But as for me, for sure I know BY HIS OWN WORDS AND ACTIONS what Kerry has done since returning from Vietnam and I don't see any of those words or actions being of the nature to secure the future of me personally and American in general.

I do not like John Kerry, quite simply, because he is going to get me killed. I prefer to live.

• The interesting thing is who cares. Both sides look like complete morons. There are much bigger issues in this election--Iraq, the Supreme Court, the economy (stupid) and so forth. I personally resent that both camps seem to be "dumbing down" the election debate. All it does is reinforce my belief that again, I am going to vote for the lesser of two evils.
  • I agree that we should be debating the more important issues...Iraq, the economy, Health Care, environmental issues....BUT Vietnam is still a hot button issue for many people, honorably discharged veterans included! Look at the flak Bill Clinton took for choosing to accept a Rhodes scholarship (really, very prestigious) rather than serve in Vietnam! Politicians are well aware how important military service is.

What makes the "Truth" squad scary is that while many did serve with Kerry, none were on his boat and their version contradicts the military record. I also concede, that in such a situation, one's perception of reality is altered by postition, vantage point and other factors I can't bring myself to imagine. But there's no questioning that the guy that claims Kerry saved his life is alive and well...and there's no question that Kerry continued to serve after his time obligation was up. Hopefully, that debate will just come to an end.

If an IRS connection is discovered between the "Truth" guys and the Bush campaign...that would be quite sad. It does look fishy since the ads are almost identical to the ones' run against McCain during the primary four years ago. Really, who can question McCain's service to his country and sleep at night?

The bottom line is that we need to be educated voters...forget the TV ads...OR if you're watching them...look on the lower part of the screen and get the details on where the information comes from...and check it....sometimes what is literally true, is not really the TRUTH...one of my favorite tactics is to say that a candidate voted against a piece of legislation....which MAY be true....but what you don't know is that bill was up for a vote 7 times, 6 that didn't pass due to riders and other add-ons...

You just really have to pay attention and not let the media tell you which end is up!
  • Your last paragraph says it all, Denise. Trying to decipher the news from the "news" can be a challenge.

You also brought up the name of John McCain. His duty to country is unquestionable as was James Stockdale's. You never hear either of these two talking or bragging about their service. My father, a decorated veteran of WWII, never talked about it. Our family didn't know anything about his wartime experiences until his funeral when the list of the campaigns he flew in were read off. My cousin was a helicopter pilot in the Vietnam war. When he came home he never talked about it, even when asked. I remember other Vietnam vets coming home and never talking about it. It seems as if the only ones who did talk about it were the ones who weren't even close to the action or who stayed stateside. If people want to talk about their service experiences that's fine, but it will raise a red flag with a question mark on it in MY mind.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-23-04 AT 12:13PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I'm with you Beagle! This whole thing is a joke and it's really turning me off of Bush. As a former military person who has medals, let me tell you, my medals mean somthing! The verbage that was written to get me those medals mean something. The fact that these bunch of bozo's are coming forward and countering government documents makes me mad! The other thing that I learned this past weekend is that retired General McPeak (USAF) is dropping his support of Bush and this year voting for Kerry. I served in the USAF when McPeak was in command and I've even met him a couple of times. He's a pretty calculated gentleman and if he feels strongly enough about Kerry and if Bush doesn't follow through with the promise today and drop these ridiculous ads then I'm going to follow through and rethink my vote for Bush. What a mess. I can't wait for November 3rd!
  • But mwild, you are falling into the belief that these are Bush's ads when he clearly denies it. I just read that the Cheney team recently dismissed a staffer when it was discovered he participated in the Swift boat ad group. Bush's only recourse is to denounce the ads, which of course he is not doing. But, then neither has Kerry denounced any negative ads about Bush's military experience. Kerry is acting like a kid who cries after he picks a fight with another kid on the playground and that kid gets the best of him. Besides, it was the Kerry camp who made such a big deal of Kerry's military record which appears to be tarnishing quickly. Why shoot the Bush supporters? They are merely the messengers showing Kerry is not all he purports himself to be. Politics is a dirty business, always has been.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-23-04 AT 12:49PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I disagree Ray. The fact that Bush's folks used this information (granted with lower profile folks commenting on the information the swift boat folks put together) shows me that even if he didn't sponsor them - his campaign folks knew about it. I do agree, however, that politics is a dirty business. x:-)
  • I agree. I was on active duty when McPeak was CSAF and, since he now lives in Portland, actually got to see him at the base a couple of times. I agree with your assessment - but you have to admit that when he changed the officer's uniform that was kind of an "error in judgment" on his part. x;-)

Actually, I think there are about a dozen former generals and admirals that have thrown their support behind Kerry.

For me, even though the republicans are trying to obfuscate and confuse a real discussion of the issues with this smoke-and-mirrors show, the bottom line is that (a) Kerry served in Vietnam; (b) Bush served in the TX ANG Flying Club (when they could find him, that is).
  • Hey Beagle, good obfuscation. Kerry served his country and Bush was a slacker. Is that what you are saying?
  • Comparatively speaking, yes.

• Just read this on a blog, quoting an AP post: "President Bush denounced TV ads by outside groups attacking both John Kerry and himself on Monday and called for a halt to all such political efforts. "I think they're bad for the system," he said."

No word from Kerry about his stand on the ads attacking Bush.

• Too bad Bush didn't see fit to denounce them a week or so ago.
  • Yes Beagle, it is too bad he didn't do that. It is also disconcerting that Kerry did not months ago denounce his supporters when they tried to make Bush's military record an issue.
  • Doggone it, Whatever! I was gonna say that! x;-)

• It's interesting to hear people talk about 'the military record'. Problem is, the swiftboat guys are calling for Kerry to ask that all of the records be released for all of America to see, if they choose. Some are saying the swiftboat guys are contradicting 'the military record'. What military record? They have not been released. The ones about how Kerry came to be injured several times and who sponsored his application for service connected injury medals.

I would much rather listen to and follow the lead of Zel Miller than some retired Air Force officer. Miller knows Kerry intimately and is a fellow Democrat senator. Who gives a rats what some Air Force guy thinks about Kerry?

The bottom line to the claims of the swiftboat guys is this. Nobody is challenging their truth. The swiftboat guys have challenged Kerry to sue them for libel and slander if they are lying. But noooooo, all we hear from the Ketchup-Camp is demands that Bush denounce the ads and the book. Let's do that when Kerry denounces George Soros and Moore. At precisely 12:53 central time, I just listened to Bush denounce all the 527 ads and he said he had asked Kerry to join him in that.

Let's simply consider the fact that Kerry for all these years has been the most liberal person in either house of congress. If you like that, vote for him. If you don't, don't. I cannot consider voting for someone who would turn over the management of our country's protection to the United Nations.
  • And Don, you are correct. All this talk about military activity from 30+ years ago is just talk. Did Bush take the easy way out in the 60"? Quite possibly. But, Bush isn't using his military background to support eligibility to perform the job. Does Kerry's record make him a hero? Doubtful. Kerry has tried to make his military background and ostensible heroism a reason to vote for him. I don't care what Kerry did in Viet Nam, but I do care about the character and fitness for duty of the person we elect as president. All this talk of Kerry's war record does raise questions about his character. My bigger concern though, is his liberal record. And based on his observed character, he will tell the American people one thing to get elected then follow his far left leaning heart once in office and it will never bother him that he may have hoodwinked a few people to achieve his goal.
  • And based on his observed
    >character, he will tell the American people one
    >thing to get elected .....
    and it will never bother him that he may have hoodwinked a few people to achieve his goal.
    Except for the use of left instead of right, you could be talking about Bush. Only, I would add that not only did Bush hoodwinked a lot of people but too many of them died as a result.

• Even with all the debate over the swiftboat issue, I am still undecided about who I am going to vote for. The biggest part of my logic tells me "better the devil you know" and I lean toward Bush. But then I get to thinking and, yes, I would like to be able to import prescription drugs from Canada; I would like to see an end to the war in Iraq; I would like to see the United States defer a little more often to the UN and not act unilaterally, like a kid with a hammer who sees every problem as a nail.

But when it comes to character, I have my doubts about both - they both come from privileged upbringings, both went to good schools and Bush joined the ANG while Kerry went to Vietnam. That tells me something, as well.

The only thing I can really think that is positive out of this entire controversy is Bush's plea that all the 527s be banned. Special interests on both sides funding these ads are doing nothing but clouding the issue and distracting people, when both candidates need to spend their energies responding to the questions of the people.

Has there been any speculation about debates yet?

• I wouldn't think there would be any serious talk of debates until after the Republican convention. One interesting tidbit I heard on NPR the other day, there is a group of people organized to create chaos at the Repub convention in NYC. They will station themselves in the vicinity of the convention center and when visitors ask directions or for help, they will intentionally lead them astray. One of these "helpers" was interviewed and gave an example of giving a visitor information for trains and streets that do not exist or leading them on wild goose chases through Harlem. Beagle, what were you saying again about about conservative obfuscation?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-23-04 AT 03:22PM (CST)[/font][br][br]You just hit on one of my pet peeves, Ray. The only thing that I really hate about the Democrats are the hangers-on and fringe-fanatics who insist on showing up and think they're "helping," e.g., anarchists, hippies, Patchouli-oil-wearing, Birkenstock-shod, '60's rejects. If the dems could look more like the republicans, they might have a better chance.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. You'd think these yahoos would take a lesson from Chicago in '68.
  • I assume you mean that Bush's service is less important than Kerry's. Why is that?

As for the rest of my post, I don't intend to speak directly to your points, but rather make a general point of my own. I've found it amusing that the same people who supported Clinton's draft-dodging & lack of service are the ones denouncing Bush's service in the National Guard. Hmmmm.....
  • Clinton is another matter, and not especially relevant for purposes of this discussion.

But, frankly, yes. I do think Bush's ANG service was less important than Kerry's.

In the 60s and 70s, the ANG in many states was jokingly referred to as a flying club where the privileged sat out the Vietnam war, the lucky ones were selected for pilot training and got to punch holes in the sky one weekend a month and everyone had a grand time playing "dead bug" in the officer's club bar after the drill weekend was over. We were even able to keep our hair long and wear short-hair wigs if we chose to, so long as they looked natural.

Kerry, on the other hand, went to Vietnam and did his time the hard way.
  • Beags, I totally agree with your 24 above. Because I'm a registered Democrat, folks compare me to "the narchists, hippies, Patchouli-oil-wearing, Birkenstock-shod, '60's rejects." I guess that's okay, as long as I can compare any registered Republican to a right wing wacko. The military records are out there. Time to let it go and talk about the issues.
  • I too think Bush's service is less important than Kerry's. W's military service record, when it was brought up by Kerry and/or his supporters, seemed such a minor thing compared to what he has done for his state/country since his political career began. It seemed as though the whole minor issue was going away for the most part - except with the die-hard Democrats, until now. Now, it's back in the fore-front (maybe rightfully so since the attack began on Kerry) and - most importantly - it shouldn't be - not for either candidate. With how messy this stuff is, I am looking now to see who the supporters are and General McPeak (retired USAF) is someone I greatly admire (other than his fashion sense (uniform changes) x;-)), so I'm going to look into more. Dang! Too bad McCain isn't running....
  • As Bob Dole said today, "Three purple hearts and the man never shed blood. He used superficial wounds, one self inflicted, as a means to be rotated out of Viet Nam", enroute to his protesting antics. Here's Bob Dole, albeit a Republican who has a useless arm and hand from war wounds telling you the man purposefully got rotated out of action by claiming superficial wounds. Did I hear correctly that one of you feels we should leave our fate more to the United Nations?
  • "As Bob Dole said today, "Three purple hearts and the man never shed blood. He used superficial wounds, one self inflicted, as a means to be rotated out of Viet Nam" " ... "Did I hear correctly that one of you feels we should leave our fate more to the United Nations?"

Gee, I didn't know Bob was there. x;-) Since we're relying so much on EYEWITNESS testimony rather than the record in this controversy, I'm assuming Bob would not be so foolish as to make such a statement without having personally observed the wounds and documented that no blood was shed.

... and I certainly never said we should leave our fate to the United Nations - we are responsible for our own safety. I did, however, say that we should defer a little more often to UN sovereignty and let them do what they have been chartered to do, rather than acting unilaterially. We have already discovered, much to our discomfort, that this is a good way to get the rest of the world PO'd at us.