Today in History, part 2

My daughter just sent me these...

Today is the Moon’s Birthday, according to the ancient Aztecs.
• Today is National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day.

• Today is National Stop and Smell Your Dog Day. And possibly Give Your Dog a Bath Day.

• Today is National Daffodil Day.

• The Little League World Series begins today in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

• This is Kruisin' Weekend in Altoona, Pennsylvania. They expect 400 custom street rods and classic cars.

On this date in . . .

1924: Jim Reeves was born in Galloway, Texas. With his 1960 hit "He’ll Have to Go," Reeves joined Johnny Cash and Bobby Helms as a new breed of "crossover" artist who sold records to pop as well as country fans.

1960: Singer Connie Francis made her acting debut on the set of the movie Where the Boys Are.

1965: The Rolling Stones released
"Satisfaction." It would become their first #1 song in the U.S.

1985: Xerox presented its original 914 copy machine to the Smithsonian Institute. It was first introduced in 1960.

1990: Ike Sewell died in Chicago at age 87. Ike was an all-America football player at the University of Texas, and he invented the Chicago-style deep-dish pizza.

1992: British singer Sting married actress Trudie Tyler at a lavish ceremony in London.

1994: Vice-President Al Gore underwent surgery to repair an Achilles tendon, injured playing basketball in the U.S. House of Representatives gymnasium.

1996: An 18-year-old British burglar suffered third-degree-burns on 90% of his body when he climbed into what he thought was a tanning bed at Salisbury hospital. The nuclear machine, used to treat serious skin conditions, would have killed the guy in 45 seconds. He got out fast but seriously burned after 15.

1997: An 88-year-old man had to be rescued twice from a burning hotel in Mattawa, Ontario. He went back in to get his teeth.

2001: A 19-year-old accused Polish shoplifter was dumped naked in the center of the city of Szczecin with "I am a thief" written on his back. The vigilante sentence was executed by unknown men called by the store staff where the youth was caught trying to steal a sweatshirt. Police said the youth refused to press charges against the store.

Comments