I'M BACK !!!!!

Thanks to the wonderful assistance of Anne Marie Brown at M.Lee Smith, I now have access to the forum again courtesy of the 3 month trial period.
I have been trying to get back into the natural foods business. The company I interviewed with won't have any HR positions until September so I decided to try my hand at their prepared foods department. I love to cook and turn out lovely meals for my family but I have never done "back of house" restaurant cooking. This company wants me but since I have no experience with that they decided to give me what they call a "benchmark". I figured they would have me observe and then test my knife skills.
I show up and the Head Chef presents me with a box of about a hundred potatoes, a list of ingredients and tells me to make potato salad, then he goes away. I had to find everything by asking around. I started to ask about quantities and was told that they do everything by eye and taste. I asked for what kind of dice they wanted on the celery and after being quite huffily shown I didn't dare ask about the green onions.
100 potatoes, seven heads of celery, six bunches of green onions, four bunches of parsley, chopped. I scurried around trying to find mayonnaise and mustard. Finally I was done and was given a thumbs up on the finished product. I was exhausted, figured it was over. NOOOOOO!!!
After about 40 bone in, skin on chicken breasts, grilled for grill marks and then roasted while I make a "shmeer" of parsley, roasted garlic, and rosemary (MORE CHOPPING!!!), and then a second roasting, I was done.
All that for no pay. They sure did test me.
I am covered in ice packs today (can still type though)
Won't know if I have the job (wich will be hands on management} until tomorrow..
Missed you guys!

Comments