The End of the World

2»

Comments

• I believe the world will end but we won't know when. My son gave me one of those daily calendars with thoughts of the day - humorous ones. July 2nd Made me laugh!...

Sign on a church - Where will you spend eternity - smoking or non-smoking?

• Thanks for all your thoughts and comments. I am leaning towards an acceleration of conditions that would set the stage for what scriptural prophecy calls the "end times" in the next 5-15 years. There are just too many signs to ignore at this point. As a born skeptic, its funny for me to say that. But over time, Ive been led to this conclusion.
  • Put me in the don't care list. I'm reminded of a song, I believe Merle Haggard did it, "Hey stop the world and let me off"
  • Well, the vast majority of people appear to be in the "don't care" category.

So, the end of the world doesn't really grab their attention but whoo baby, lets talk about the latest American Idol contestant!

Hmm... perhaps that in itself is a sign of our impending, inevitable doom.

• I'd like the record to reflect that I actually care less about American Idol than the end of the world. But The Amazing Race, that's another story.
  • I care, but I don't worry about it. Afterall, as the saying goes, "Only the good die young", so based on that I'm going to live a lonnnnnnnng time!
  • Everytime I think that things in the world are horrible...I remember being a kid and practicing nuclear bomb drills...THAT was scary....and we thought it was the end of the world...or could be.

And I think about how horrible things must have seemed during WWI and II...or the depression....it's all a matter of perspective...things run in cycles...yes, terrible things are happening in the world...but as long as the number of people wanting to do good things outweigh those wanting to do harm, we'll be OK.
  • "but as long as the number of people wanting to do good things outweigh those wanting to do harm . ."

Denise, you're clearly a 'half-full' person.
  • I care, but I don't obsess. Nor do I give credence to what somebody supposedly predicted a billion (or thousand) years ago. Now if somebody had predicted that I would break wind at 8:32 this morning in the middle of staff meeting, I would sit up and pay attention. I'd be looking at my watch at 8:30, cautiously, with anticipation of clearing the room.

Put me over in the Merle Haggard column too. "The only thing I can count on now is my fingers."

• My point of view was expressed by Doris Day in The Man who knew too much..."Que Sera Sera, whatever will be, will be, the future's not ours to see, Que Sera, Sera."{
  • Exactomundo! Had Doris Day known the future, she would not have been swapping spit with Rock Hudson. x:-)
  • Do you really think that the awful things that go on in the world are worse now than anytime earlier in our history? I contend that we just know about more of it, faster. The speed difference in communications and the proliferation of the internet allow us to be much more aware of a larger world and the people living on it. While we have progressed technoligically, are we all that much different spiritually?
  • I agree about the information issue....can you imagine what all these "experts" would be doing in the job market say 100 years ago??? what was life before 24 hour news and "experts" providing a spin on it?

100 years ago people probably filled in the blanks or settled for far less actual knowledge and were OK with that because there was no other option.

We keep talking about the great decline of spirituality...I don't think that's true...church attendance may not be at an all time high, but that doesn't mean that people aren't spiritual/religious.

The phrase "under God" was added to the pledge, due to fears in the 50's that morality was slipping. That's fact, not opinion.

Again, it's a cycle...we'll always think the days gone by were better, because that's how memories are. Our grandparents will always say life was easier/less complicated....but harder...and we'll be saying the same thing...we just can't imagine the changes that will come.

When I think of my grandfather...born at the beginning of the 1900's and everything he's seen since then...it's pretty incredible. Somethings have been sad, wars, depression...but he's seen huge advances in technology, and advancement of the global world and it has to amaze him sometimes that he considered a stick and a ball of string great holiday gifts at one point!!!

I just find life (and living it) too incredible and amazing to focus on the end of it. I'm grateful for every day...no more or less than the one before or the ones yet to come. It's all in the living.
  • If we make it for another 10 to 15 years, we're doing good.
  • The Kingston Trio had a song many years ago, forget the title, but here goes.

They're rioting in Africa,
    Starving in Spain,
    There's hurricanes in Florida
    and Texas needs rain.

The whole world is festering with unhappy swords,
    The French hate the Germans
    The Germans hate the Poles

But we can be thankful, that some lucky day,
    someone will set the spark off, and we will all be blown away.