How's your summer going?

My summer has been keeping me very busy so far, and I haven't been able to post much lately. I thought I'd share. This all started about 4 weeks ago.

My wife and I both got promotions (we work for the same company).
We had to relocate 5 hours away.
We had to get our house emptied so we could rent it out. We had to find renters.
We had to find temporary housing.
We started our new jobs with much more responsibility.
We started house hunting (we didn't want to rent).
We found a house we liked last Sunday, and we made an offer on Tuesday.
The seller accepted our offer and now we close escrow in 30 days!
Whew!

I told my wife we've done some of the most stressful things in people's lives in a matter of weeks. The only thing missing was her being pregnant, thankfully we're not trying right now.

We've also had to reschedule our vacation to Mexico too. Needless to say I haven't been sleeping too much lately.
We are very excited though and hopefully we'll be able to take a breather soon. xflash

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You just reminded me why I've enjoyed living in the same house for 27 years. But, this summer I am remodelling my son's room which I really hopehe moves out real soon so it becomes my music room, repainting the kitchen, and building a new patio/deck.
  • Remodeling while he's still in it? Very subtle Ray, very subtle!
  • Shadow, nothing subtle about our intent. "Hey Tim, get a job yet?" "Hey, I'm hiring right now - you've got a job if you want it." "Hey Tim, there's some good jobs in the paper today." Twenty three and sits around playing his guitars all day and computer games. And I'm having him do a lot of the remodelling work, too. Mean ole dad.
  • I got my daughter to move out. She's gone but her crap isn't (with the exception of the guitar and stereo). She has stuff all over both her room and her sister's (Her sister lives in Vermont). I'm now threatening to throw all the stuff out so I can have a guest room and a den. But the reality is, I won't throw any of the stuff out and she knows it and I know she knows.
    And, of course, I am assuming that since Ray wasn't enthusiastic about the idea of my daugher moving into his house, that he'll be even less enthusiastic about storing her junk (I promise not to send the anti-Bush posters).

• I'll take your daughter's stuff as long as you take my son.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-02-04 AT 09:54AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Maybe, I'll send the crap to Albany. No one would ever notice that it is there.
  • My summer's going super! Got the stitches out and most of the toe is intact. The bill for the fender came to more than I expected and I have a lead on an insurance company that will accept me. The health department said I don't have to come back and my probation will end this month. The dentures are, well, OK, but I do miss my original teeth. The poison I put on my front yard drifted a bit but the attorney feels we can limit my culpability to just one neighbor's property. The paternity test came out in my favor and I learned yesterday that they have absolutely no proof that I was involved in any of the farm equipment thefts. As I said, my summer is wonderful and looking up.

And Ray, you know me...here is what I would say: Tim, this is July 2, 2004. On August 2, 2004, this room is going to be my music studio. It will have a new lock and I will have the only key. I do not intend to share this room. You have 30 days to make a decision. Please vacuum when you vacate.
  • Sage...caution on the renters....unless you're experienced at this sort of thing!!! GOOD LUCK!!

My folks called one day last year and said..."you've been on your own long enough. your stuff remaining at home will be placedin the driveway...what you do not claim will be picked up for trash."

It was pretty effective.

: )

summer is going well so far...trying to get some home-improvement stuff done...but the project keeps stalling...

• Hey, I like that...pick up your stuff or it's yard sale material. I'll make back some of the rent my daughter didn't pay me by selling her stuff. Capital idea!
  • My mother did that! Not only did she toss the stuff I said I didn't want, she also tossed the stuff I set aside to pick up another day. I guess she did me a favor though, I've been living without that junk for ten years, I'll survive without it.
  • You parents out there REALLY need to work on your guilt and pestering skills. I was out of the house within a month just because I couldn't stand to hear about it anymore!!! (I do still have a few boxes in the basement, though....)
  • Summer is shaping up nicely. Next week my marine son will be home on leave for 10 days, my East Coast daughter will visit for a couple of them, and since my other son is home now, we will all be together for at least a week-end. My wife and I are both very excited. Should be a great time.
  • HRsage - pregancy wasn't the only thing missing - try adding in-laws to the mix! x:-)

My summer is only just beginning. Yet again, no trip to tropical beaches on my horizon, but my boyfriend and I have a lot planned around the local area. We are getting away in a couple of weeks to visit my sister down in Oregon and take advantage of her house and it's location to the Oregon coast x:D I can't wait!
  • If you stay at our hotel in Newport I'll make sure you get the Forum Member's Special rate - for West Coasters only. x;-)
  • Is the West Coast rate FREE? If not, then my sister's house is our destination. Besides, she's my younger sister, so the way I look at it, she still owes me for ripping the arms off of my Barbie when she was a kid x;-)
  • Great summer! Among the projects I've got going: We're building my brother a house; still have some repairs to do to my own where the tree I cut down earlier did damage to the roof, two windows, siding, and deck (that's a little embarassing); labor board hearing on a claim for benefits from 35 years ago coming up a week from next Monday; two labor agreements open yet from 1/1; one labor agreement going to arbitration; have yet to make it up to the cabin this summer to cut the weeds, etc; an acre and a half of lawn to take care of. Looks like I won't be able to get into much mischief this year. But, as McDonalds would say: "I'm lovin' it!"