your aspirations in HR

Many say HR is a thankless job. These companies seem to have found millions of ways to say 'thank you' to their top dogs...

[url]http://www.workforce.com/tools/highestpaid.pdf[/url]

I must confess to being quite pleased in my lot in life as a decent sized fish in a small pond. Having worked at two separate corporations with 30k+ employees, I find the 200 person organization to be very personally fulfilling for my career and job satisfaction. What are your HR career aspirations? Who wants to be the next Big Cheese?!

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • no big cheese for me either. Like you, I like being a regular fish in a little pond of 160 ees.
    I know people personally, I help people solve their problems, I help people make their work lives a little better, I keep my boss out of trouble by advising him on regulations, requirements, and rules. It's a nice life from 9-5 (LOL... I mean 8 - 7)... I'd be very happy if I end up retiring from here.
  • I'm gunning for HR director. Our HR director was reluctantly given the post years ago and hates HR. He wants to focus on safety, the other department he runs. We're about 250 strong right now, a good size, not too big, not too small. I'm starting night classes tonight, four consecutive brief courses in HR law, etc. I'd love to move up and be upgraded from small fry to big cheese!
  • I like HR, but would love to expand my duties. My ideal would be in charge of all administration, which encompassed HR, for a small to medium sized company.
  • I like the company for the most part. Would like to move up to HR Direct for the division.