Respect

I ran home for lunch to catch a bit of the funeral, and stayed to see all of it. Regardless of how one feels about politics, this was a respectful, moving, eloquent homage to a man who served us. I thought Dubya was excellant, but Brian Mulroney was spectacular. He stuck a blaance of respect, intimacy and public duty. I am always amazed at the way we change and install an entirely new government, often one at odds with the sitting government, peacefully and graciously. I am likewise amazed at the amount of meaningful pomp and ceremony we are able to command on very short prep. Despite what I may say about too much government and its inability to overcome its own boundless inefficiency and the personal greed of many of its servants,, I think these things (public state occasions) are good for us as a body politic; it unites us, not idealogically but as a people who care for one another; and it demonstrates once again to us, and to the world, that we are unique in almost every way. At these times, it is unimaginable to me how anyone in the world can believe in any other form of government.

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I couldn't agree with you more.
  • Well said.

I only heard a small part on the radio during my lunch time. The song Amazing Grace brought chills.
  • Shadowfax, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I do feel that as a nation, as a people, we are united in our respect for the death and recognition of the life of President Reagan. I just finished watching the sunset interment at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley and it moved me to tears. The windows in my living room all face west and it has been a partly sunny day out here on the Left Coast. While the ceremony was going on south of me, I appreciated the fact that the same sun, setting in my windows, was also setting on the ceremony in California at the same time.

Listening to Pres. Reagan's offspring share their feelings about their father was inspirational, touching and very moving.

However, I felt some degree of anger when, after the flag from Reagan's coffin was folded and presented to Mrs. Reagan, that the press insisted on letting their cameras linger while she stroked and kissed her husband's coffin for what seemed like several moments, until her sons and daughter came to take her away. In my mind, that was an extremely private, grief-stricken moment and should have been respected by the press. However, all I saw was a loving widow sharing her last private moments with her husband and a cacophany of speed-winders from cameras, shutters, and a very annoying shotgun microphone trying to get every word, every gasp, every breath on tape.

The press should be ashamed of those last few moments of an otherwise dignified and honorable burial.
  • I watched the entire thing last night, too, and I wish the media had respected Nancy's goodbye, too. I was stoic and dry-eyed until Nancy broke down, and I did, too. God bless that woman, she seems so strong and yet looked so frail. How hard to say goodbye to that last tangible bit of humanity. I think she said something like "I can't leave him here", and then I was blubbering right along with her. I think the service was wonderful, the view behind the coffin perfect, and the children's words moving and loving. I just hope that when my time comes, people will remember me with even a fraction of the love and respect they showed Reagan.
  • I just watched a recast of the burial service, I fell asleep while watching last night. I too was disgusted by the intrusion while Nancy said her good bye. I felt bad for the family the entire time; I understand he was a public figure, but I'm sure his sons and son in law and grandson would have preferred to carry his casket rather than military members who were strangers to him. That being said, I thought the service was very poingant. I have never seen a military service before and thought it was very dignified. I was very touched by the fighter jets flying in the "missing man" formation - it gave me goosebumps.

Maybe this is my catty female side coming out, but I thought his daughter was a disgrace. Comb your hair and buy a suit for pete's sake!
  • "...but I'm sure his sons and son in law and grandson would have preferred to carry his casket rather than military members who were strangers to him."

Probably right, Rad. I'm sure his sons would have preferred to carry him. But in funerals with full military honors, it's customary for "body bearers" to be appointed from each of the military services and they are the ones who carry the casket. The program is to appoint "honorary" pallbearers who would be those chosen by the deceased or his survivors to carry the coffin if it were not a military funeral.

Fortunately, if I want a military funeral I have the option of requesting an AF Honor Guard, so I can be sure no one from the Marines, Navy, Coast Guard or Army happens to drop my box on the way down. x:-)

Maybe it's a guy thing, but I didn't see anything wrong with the way Patty Davis was dressed. I thought everyone was dressed appropriately and quite respectfully.
  • Y'all seem to forget that Nancy Reagan personally orchestrated every bit of the funeral, except of course for the logistics required of the government and a bit of the military protocol. All of the musical selections were hers too. Had she not wanted the cameras there, they certainly would not have been allowed. It was her decision and her's alone to share the whole thing with the nation through the media. And I'm thankful that she allowed that.

I don't want to be unkind to the lady, but I too have had misgivings about Patti Davis, who decided decades ago to dump the Reagan name and go with her middle name. She posed for Playboy, was at terrible odds with her mother and father and is off to the land of OZ now with her own writings and will no doubt be able to afford a haircut now. The bucks will roll in. Look for her on Oprah and the cover of Most of the mags at the checkout line. She ain't what my momma would call 'dignified'. x:-)
  • I, too, thought the California service was the most beautiful funeral service I have ever seen. I was sad, though, to see Mrs. Reagan go up to the casket and was unable to say "goodbye" in private. I don't think this part was planned and I felt for her being up there alone until her children came up to comfort her with all the whirring and clicking of the cameras catching the tears.

As far as Patti and Ron, I hope they were sincere in their words - they were at odds with their parents for many, many years. Maureen who died of cancer a few years ago seemed to be the brightest and best of the President's children. Michael has always kept a low profile.

I hope Mrs. Reagan finds peace and happiness in her remaining years.
  • Someone said the funeral was "iconic" and that would be fitting for a man who was himself an icon.

Honestly, the week's events have reminded me that there are heroes that encourage us to aspire to better people. I am just old enough to remember Pres. Reagan but I learned alot from the recounting of his life and presidency.

I felt his son, Ron Reagan, was out of line to take a couple of cheap shots at Pres. Bush at the final funeral service. It seemed innappropriate in my opinion.

For those of you who missed it, he said "Dad never wore his religion on his sleeve, and never felt he had a mandate from God, unlike some other politicians."

The only blemish on an otherwise incredibly uplifiting week.
  • Some of us might view those comments as a message well sent. I do.
  • Oh no doubt! But I agree with Paul that it was terribly out of place. A funeral, I think, is a religious ceremony in most instances, not a political one. But, I must find fault with George Bush as well. In the earlier service, he remarked that Reagan "defeated two fellows; one from Houston and one from Plains". Now though, all the horses are out of the chute. Clinton is in the lead this morning with the book, Kerry is getting coaching on how to appear Reaganesque and GW is learning to tie a reverse windsor like Ronnie wore.

Now how was that for a bipartisan paragraph from me!!??
  • >For those of you who missed it, he said "Dad
    >never wore his religion on his sleeve, and never
    >felt he had a mandate from God, unlike some
    >other politicians."

I didn't view that comment as a negative, Paul. I interpreted it to relate to politicians (and not just politicians but any world leaders) who invoke God's name as the stamp of approval on any venture they might undertake. For those who assert they have a mandate from God, all I can say is, take a look at how much blood has been shed over thousands of years in His name?

• I thought Ron Reagan showed restraint. It has been well-known from the time President Reagan was in office that there was no love lost between the Reagans and the Bushes.
    Changing topic slightly, on the day President Reagan died, I put on the TV and roamed thru the various news channels. I got really angry with FOX news because they had helicopter flying by the Reagan house with a power camera focused on the house as if this was a wedding of some Hollywood star. It was inappropriate and disrespectful.
  • I guess your perspective matter. My wife felt that Pres. Bush went overboard a little in his speech by connecting Reagan's legacy with our current situation. I didn't hear the speech so I don't know.

Regardless, I still think Ron Reagan used his father's funeral to take a shot at Pres. Bush.

Talk about your dad and leave comments about other politicians for another day.
  • Looks like I missed the boat again. At the time I watched the funeral I thought Ron's remark about a mandate from God was aimed more at people like terrorists or others who use God in their politics. I didn't see the Bush connection until I read it here. Duh-uh!

I saw no problem with Reagan's daughter. Her choice to wear her hair down worked against her as it was beatiful and curly at the beginning of the day, and a little frizzie and fly-away at the end of it. She knew how long her day was going to be and choose that style anyway. For all we know, her father liked it that way and she wore it to honor him.

She was there to honor her father and to be there for her mother, and it was obvious that her mother appreciated it. That is what really matters. I don't think I like the idea of ridiculing her choice of dress or hair on the day she buried her father.

On the other hand, if I see her next week on a talk show promoting some book so she can take advantage of our feelings for her father, I will be among the first to criticize.