Patriot weekend

I know we are divided on our thoughts about Bush, Bagdad, et al, but at least this weekend, say thanks to a vet and pray for the troops and their families. We are indeed the most fortunate people in the world, and we pay a price for our freedom. We also pay a price for everyone else's freedom. Take a flag and a flower to a mom, dad, wife or sister of a present troop or a vet, and tell them how much you appreciate their sacrifice, and that of their child, spouse. E mail or write a short note to a soldier - they are doing what needs to be done to assure our prosperity and freedom. God Bless our Troops, our President, and our Country. We are already blessed!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hear, hear, Shadowfax. x:-)

There's an elderly gentleman from the VFW (I think) who sells those paper poppies outside my neighborhood grocery this time every year. I always buy one every time I go in and thank him. He's a Korean War vet.
  • I agree and thanks for reminding us. No matter how we feel about our current events we should honor ALL who have served our country.
  • I found this an put it in our employee newsletter. It almost made me cry, the song ALWAYS does. My dad's a Vietnam vet.
    “Taps”
    The song that gives us a lump in our throat and brings tears to our eyes. Ever wonder where the song originated? Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison’s Landing in Virginia.
    The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land. During the night, Cpt. Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention.
    Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the injured soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment. When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead. The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son.
    The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army. The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy status.
    His request was only partially granted. The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral. The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.
    But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician. The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of his dead son’s uniform. This wish was granted.
    The haunting melody, we now know as “Taps” used at military funerals, was born.

Adapted from: [url]www.butlerwebs.com/holidays/memorialday.htm[/url]

• Good thoughts, Shadowfax. My family is very thankful this holiday. My nephew came home from Iraq a few short weeks ago after almost a year there and in Afganistan.
  • I am with you Shadowfax. My dad is a veteran of WWII and my son is a Marine currently serving. I formally thank them every year and I mean it from the bottom of my heart.

Ray, your nephew gets another thanks from me for his special service in our current time of need.

FunHRBanker, that's a great story. I am going to forward it to my son - he loves those kinds of stories.
  • Thanks Shadowfax. You're right, regardless of how we feel about the politics of it, these vets and current soldiers are putting their lives on the line in ways I can't even imagine.

I've got a friend who is in Afganistan. I never thought anything would bother him, he's a little crazy like that, you know? He told us that when he stepped off the plane, he knew what hell looked like.

I am grateful for everything this country gives me. As a first generation American, I know why my family came here and I know what hopes and dreams my Papa had for his children and grandchildren. For the most part, they've all come true.