Vacation

The discussion of shoes made me wonder if there's a difference in the way the sexes look at vacation. I just got back from a week in Puerto Vallarta where my wife dragged me kicking and screaming.

The ONLY valid use for vacation is hunting, or perhaps fishing if you're into that. Why would anyone waste all that money and have nothing to show for it but a few pictures??

How about it?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am the worst shot in the West, so hunting is out and I personally do not like to fish. Now throw in a few rounds of golf or some frisbee in the park and I am there.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-23-04 AT 04:34PM (CST)[/font][br][br]The idea of leaving a planned, programmed, itinerized, organized, activity-filled job to go on a planned, programmed, itinerized, organized, activity-filled vacation is NOT my idea of vacation. Vacation should be reserved for a complete absence of organization - sleep when you want, get up when you want, do what you want when you want to. x:-)

Edit: I forgot to mention - Ideally, shaving is a prohibited activity while on vacation. Getting dressed in anything other than sweats is optional.
  • Beag - I'm with you. Vacation is all about sleeping and bumming around doing whatever you want. I do like to travel, but when I do nothing resembling an itinerary is allowed. I read, play games, play with my cats, dink around the book store, bug my parents and siblings at their houses, take friends (who are at work) out to lunch, eat lots of ice cream, ride my bike, and just BE. x:)
  • Him: go go go go go go go go go doing active stuff, preferably including roller coasters, fishing, and fast boats. Stop and eat. go go go go go go go some more.

Me: a hotel room and an open schedule. Maybe a day doing something just for the kids, spend the rest of the time wandering around, sightseeing, hanging out, exploring.

We usually end up doing the go-go-go the first half of the day and wandering around exploring the second half. Works pretty well. I am in charge of photography. x:D
  • Well, the past couple of years it has been fly to Phoenix where everything seems to be in various shades of tan, or whatever you call it. Then drive to boring places like Sedona and the Grand Canyon. Of course my face is stuck behind the camera most of the time.
  • My current vacation fantasy = sun, sandy beaches, lots of food and fruity drinks loaded with tequila. In any order. Oh yes, and plenty of retail excursions. My mother and I are going to Bermuda in June, we both need it (if you read my post about her boss you know just how much!).

I also like to see new places, I've made it to Europe once - London - plenty to see, plenty to purchase, I loved it. Next transatlantic flight will be Sicily so I can see where my mother was born. But that will tie into the sun and sandy beach thing.

But you know, when I just need to get away for a few days, I pack a bag and head to New York. I just love that city - the energy, the lights, everything. There's just something about it that rejuvenates me. Oh, and did I mention the shopping?
  • You and your Mom sure deserve it, Rad!
    I think that everyone should at least try to go to a different country at some point in their lives if they can afford it (Mexico is a different country but it is very Americanized). I grew up overseas and the introduction to different cultures was an eyeopener that will never leave me.
    That being said, I agree with those that want a get up when you want, do what you want and relax or not as much as you want kind of vacation. We go to NC, outer banks every year with my Mom's side of the family and that is the family understanding. Thus, good times had by all. Great company too!
  • I still like Mel's idea of the Forum Cruise, where the rules are: One pair of shoes, absolutely no cameras or recording devices, no nametags with Hello on them and nobody tells on anybody else when we get back. And no Leon Klinghoffer stuff either. th-up
  • Just Gavin MacCloud stuff?
  • One pair of shoes? x:o Sure, if its an 8 hour cruise. x;-)
  • Rad:

Better be careful; even on a three hour cruise, you never can tell what might happen, and you always have to be ready.

Also, after careful consideration, there is another legitimate use for vacation: To build or remodel something for a family member. Work from 5:00 AM to 9:30 PM, and enjoy being with your family.