The Masters

Any golfers out there? This year's Masters was possibly the most exciting golf tournament I have ever watched (and I've watched too many).

Phil Mickleson did what every kid who has ever played golf has dreamed of doing. He made a birdie on the final hole to win the Masters by one stroke.

It was a storybook finish for a emotionally compelling tournament.

Also, I want to send out a special "Thanks!" to Martha Burke and the National Organization for Women whose protest last year caused Augusta National to drop all corporate TV sponsorship so the Masters was 100% commercial free. Way to go, Martha, keep attacking those crucial issues!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I agree. Two holes in one. Choi makes eagle. Phil almost eagles 14. It seemed like fate was taking over. I'm not a huge fan of Phil. I saw an interview where he was disparaging the developmental tours and said they are ruining the PGA tour. Quite an elitist view and many of the guys struggling on those tours eventually hit the big time and more than once have kicked his butt. Anyway still happy for him that he won it. What a great scene with his family in the end.
  • I loved it. Practically couldn't watch the last putt - I just knew if it went beyond he wouldn't get it. So as a fellow ASU alum, way to go Phil! You finally got that gorilla off your back!
  • Phil is an interesting character. Very opinionated to be sure but he still manages to be extremely likable. I think fans are drawn to him because he is a gambler and he pulls off some of the most dramatic shots you will ever see - especially around the greens.

Now that he is driving the ball well and not missing four foot putts, he could be dangerous.

Nobody deserves the heat Phil has gotten over his lack of major wins. It wasn't fair.

Leslie - I could barely watch too. I closed my eyes on a couple of Phil's shorter putts. I firmly believe the pros tend to make more short puts when I am either not watching or fast forwarding the VCR.