References

It's unfortunate that we have come to a point, due to litigation, where we can't even get a reference on a perspective employee from a previous employer. For the most part, all that we can get is confirmed dates of employment. Other then indentified work history on the application, we really have no way of knowing what type of applicant we are truely getting. Is this a commonality throughout? Has anyone ever run into a defamation suit by giving out an "objective" reference? I guess it comes down to the "Intuition" that Paul was talking about in a previous post.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There are times when I feel I must give a little more information than dates and title. However, before I do, I get the caller's name, title, company name and telephone number. I then tell them I will call them back. This way I am reasonably certain that I'm am speaking to a legitimate HR person.

For example, when I received a call from Detective So&so of the Phoenix Police Department, requesting information about a previous employee who wanted to be a police officer, I called the department back, verified the caller's name and occupation, then proceeded to give the info he needed.

Although I have not received any defamation suits, I certainly don't want for my company to be the first. My question to you and other Forumites, have any of you used a "screening" company and got expanded references?
  • Yes!! The company that does our criminal backgrounds also does employment verifications for us. It is amazing sometimes the information they receive VS what I have been able to get from prior employers. It is very reasonable and in many instances well worth the cost when you can weed out the applicants that like to exaggerate about experience or salary.
  • I do basically the same as Ritaaz and also request a faxed copy of a release signed by our former ee. Ohio law protects employers who simply 'tell the truth' in the reference process. If it's in the ex-ee's file (attendance records, disciplinary actions - that the ee is already aware of), I can give out that information. In most cases the info I give is 'sketchy', but an intuitive HR person will get the drift.

Because I live and work in a small community, I know a lot of HR/hiring people personally. If I happen to run into them at the grocery store, what's the problem with having a little chat? I have dodged the bullet several times with this more informal approach.

Anne in Ohio
  • Many years ago, my first HR boss told me some of the HR people in the area had a little trick they played to get info they needed. They would call their counterpart at company X and say, "If you know of any reason why I should not hire John Doe, please hang up." I actually had a local HR person do that to me a couple of years ago. I hung up.
  • Why didn't I think of that? Short, sweet and to the point.
  • I definitely believe our former employees who did a good job deserve a good reference. For not so good employees, I am very careful. I really look hard at their file and choose my words carefully.

One tardy notice in a file doesn't mean the employee has a lateness problem. You have to consider length of service, circumstances, supervisor issues, etc.

I tell our employees up front, do a good job and you will get a good reference. Its only right.
  • I spent a number of years in smaller metropolitan area. The HR community in town was fairly tightly knit, with connections to each other through SHRM, Workforce Development Council, etc.

We had an informal code that we used among each other for reference checks - if we heard that the former employer had a "fat file" on the employee, that was our clue not to hire!