Pet Foolery

I know that we have had threads on pets before but I just had to share this one.
A couple of months ago our cat (name of Deez which was once my handle on this site) became obsessed with biting his tail one night to the point of yowling. We examined his tail and could'nt see anything wrong but the yowls persisted. We dropped him off at the vets the next day. The verdict? Absolutely nothing wrong with him.
Fast forward to now. I have been spending alot of time at home these days and I have observed an odd habit from my little deez. Every day at almost exactly 4:15 pm Deez will climb the armchair opposite me, perch on the top of the back of the chair and then proceed to catch and bite is tail until the yowling starts. So I chase him around yelling "DEEZ STOP BITING YOUR TAIL!". He seems to know what I am saying because he stops with the tail and continues with his foot. This lasts for about 15 minutes.
Among other things what I really dont get is the punctuality. /:)

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When I had a cat, I was informed by a friend of mine who is the closest thing to an expert on cats I've ever met, that the reason cats are so punctual is that they are OBSESSIVE about routine. If you come home at 5:15 p.m. every day, for example, your cat expects that to ALWAYS be the case and it upsets them if you're late or early. When I would go out of town my cat would barely have anything to do with me for a couple of days after I got home. Then when the routine was reestablished, she was fine (or as fine as a neurotic cat can be, anyway).
  • That is so true. I had a cat and when I came home early, she'd look at me as if to say "What are YOU doing here?" And if I was late, she'd wait by the door, tail twitching, an accusing look on her face, and promptly hack up a hair ball on the rug.

My dog, on the other hand, was thrilled to see me whenever I came home from work, from the store, up from the basement, back from the bathroom, out of bed in the morning, back from the kitchen with a snack. No matter where I was and for how long, she always greeted me with "Oh my god! Its you, you're back, I'm so happy, rub my ears, I love you so much, rub my belly, I missed you so much!!"
  • Your cat has done a good job of training you.
  • Animals are truly amazing. Our Yorkshire terriers (fondly known as "The Boyz"), know when our neighbor down the street comes out of his door and starts his morning walk. Don't ask me how they know he's coming down the street,but they look out the breakfast room windows and bark until he comes in sight.

They also know the sounds of our particular cars.
  • FHR: You have entirely too much time on your hands. Start networking, volunteer for community service, take a class. Deez will love for it. You are probably sitting in his chair.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-23-04 AT 10:32AM (CST)[/font][br][br]You are right! When I come home he is normally sitting in the chair I sit in!
    I do have too much time on my hands though. I live in a remote area and I don't drive (used to live in Boston where public transportation was abundant). We are moving within the next couple of months. I am studying at home though. My SO and I are both pursuing a degree.
  • Ancient Egyptians used to worship cats. Today's cats have not forgotten that.
  • You're right Larry. That is why cats are our masters.
  • To them, we are merely can openers.
  • Just make sure you open the right can - they can be cruel masters.
  • I once had an orange tabby named Chester who was quite a character. Then I got a small fishbowl with a couple of goldfish. I came home one day and he had knocked over the fishbowl. The fish were still alive, so I figured I was lucky to get home just in time.

A few days later, I came home and found the fishbowl on the floor again, the goldfish flopping around. Then I realized that Chester was waiting until my car pulled into the driveway to knock over the fishbowl.

The third time, Chester's timing was a little off, and the fish were flushed to the great fishbowl in the sky.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • At one time, we had five cats (don't even ask!) On the nights that "Meowmie" would dole out the kitty treats, each of the five had a particular position around my chair that they HAD to be in before I'd begin the ritual - if one was out of place, the others would nudge or bat at the "offender" until all were in their proper positions.

We still have two of the five - a fluffy orange woosie-cat named Horace, and a siamese-calico mix named Talitha - both are 12 years old. Horace has learned to open the doors in our apartment by jumping up and grabbing onto the lever-style doorknobs. We have to lock them out of the bedroom at night in order to get any sleep! (It's worse than having kids at home!)

On the plus side, Horace has always been extraordinarily polite - he always knocks on the door of the bedroom before he tries to let himself in. Yes, he KNOCKS on the door - he doesn't just paw at it. We still don't know exactly how he does it, but we always laugh about Horace and his "cat knuckles".
  • I hated it when the cat came in the bathroom... she'd just sit there and watch me. She never went in the bathroom without me since the time she got stuck in the cabinet under the sink. She got the door open and managed to get in, she just couldn't figure out how to get out. It took me a half hour to find her and when I opened the door, she was just standing there, on top of all the junk in the cabinet, eyes wide, waiting for someone to come and save her.

The dog never went in the bathroom under her own power, she associated that room with getting a b-a-t-h.
  • I have two cats whom I adore - Sose (pronounced so-say) and Zella. They do a lot of the weirdo things cats do. I grew up with dogs so when I got them, I didn't really know how to be a cat-mom. So, I suppose that is why my cats come when they're called, will fetch a squishy ball if thrown, and give me lots and lots of love and not so much of the "who the hell do you think you are" looks! x:D

• Are you a Kevin Spacey fan?
  • Come on now Rad, you know I only like "The Usual Suspects" because Benicio Del Toro is in it. x:D

Naw, really, I just love the movie. Saw it and got my little boy kitty before I became obsessed with Benicio. Although it IS quite a conincidence.
  • Thats right, how could I forget about your obsession? #-o
  • Does Sose ever fake a limp once in awhile?
  • No, but many people say that he has a Hungarian accent when he meows. x:P