Ode to Michigan

My Aunt and Uncle, from the center of the thumb, sent me this. .Thought it was pretty cute and that the Michigan delegation of forumites might enjoy..some of these you see in other State Odes, but some are pretty unique to Michiganders.

Michibillie and proud of it!

Are you from Michigan?

You are if:

1. You've never met any celebrities.

2. "Vacation" means going to Cedar Point.

3. At least 1 member of your family disowns you the week of the Michigan/Michigan State game.

4. Half the change in your pocket is Canadian.....eh!

5. You drive 86 mph on the highway and pass on the right.

6. Your idea of a traffic jam is 40 cars waiting to pass an orange barrel.

7. You know how to play (and pronounce) Euchre.

8. It's easy to get VERNORS Ginger Ale, Sanders Hot Fudge sauce, AND Faygo Pop.

9. You know how to pronounce "Mackinac."

10.You've had to switch on the "heat" and the "A/C" in the same day.

11.You bake with SODA and drink a POP.

12.The movie "Escanaba in Da Moonlight" wasn't funny. You consider it a documentary.

13.Your little league game was snowed out.

14.The word "thumb" has geographical, rather than anatomical significance

15.You show people where you grew up by pointing to a spot on your right hand.

16.Traveling coast-to-coast means driving from Port Huron to Muskegon.

17.You measure distance in minutes.

18.When giving directions, you refer to "A Michigan Left."

19.You know that Kalamazoo not only exists, but isn't that far from Hell.

20.Your year has 2 seasons: Winter and Construction.

21.Home Depot on any Saturday is busier than toy stores at Christmas.

22.You know when it has rained because of the smell of worms.

23.Owning a Japanese car was a hangin' offense in your hometown.

24.You believe that "down south" means Toledo.

25.YOU ACTUALLY "GET" THESE JOKES AND FORWARD THEM ON TO ALL YOUR MICHIGAN FRIENDS

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-02-04 AT 04:48PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Okay I have to ask, what is a "Michigan left"? Is that like a California stop?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-02-04 AT 05:50PM (CST)[/font][br][br]A Michigan Left: Turning right and then in a matter of a few feet, turning left into a median to complete a left turn. Assume you are traveling north and want to turn left to travel west. In a Michigan Left you would have to turn right or east, go a few feet and turn Left (back north) into the median, continue turning in the median till you were eventially going west. Have I confused anyone yet?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-02-04 AT 06:46PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Aha! You don't want to know what we call that here. At first I thought you were talking about a U-turn....which of course we call "flipping a b!#ch" here. x0:)
  • Okay, now I have to ask, what is a California stop?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-02-04 AT 06:31PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-02-04 AT 06:30 PM (CST)[/font]

I'm still trying to picture what a Michigan left is. Why can't you just turn left and be done with it?

A California stop (aka California Roll)is you don't really stop at a stop sign- you just slow down real slow to about 1 or 2 mph, look for a cop and then go. We are just too busy to fully stop.

And what is the smell of worms like? :-?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-03-04 AT 08:37AM (CST)[/font][br][br]A Michigan Left or a Minnesota Left is when someone has to turn a little bit right before they turn left...and vice versa. You've all seen 'em.

Also, to add to the list, you know you're from Michigan if you size your child's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
  • I just had to print this out for my wife, she is from Michigan. I can't tell you how many times she has actually done or said some of those things.

The only thing i woudl add, and my wife still says it subconciously, is you know your from Michigan if you say "Youse guys".
  • Actually number 16 hits close to home. Like shadowfax, I am from Port Huron. I now live near Muskegan. So I really know the coast to coast thing>
  • A few clarifications:

Actually in #4, I thought Canadian was the official currency of Michigan.

#1, I've met a few celebrities - when I went to Chicago.

#19, While it is true that Kalamazoo is near Hell, it is also near Climax (would that be a near climax?)

#20 is wrong - Michigan actually has 3 seasons, 1) Winter, 2) Construction 3) Hotter than Hell
  • Isn't "youse guys" more of a Uper thing than a troll thing? For you nonMichiganders, trolls are the people that live in the lower peninsula, so named because they live under The Bridge.
  • Yup! Us "Trolls" don't say "youse guys". We're "normal" 8-} & say you guys ... x:-)
  • I once was threatened with an assignment to Alpena, MI. Glad it didn't come through. All I really heard about it was that the mosquitos were the size of Chevys.

But this has been educational. To date, my knowledge of Michigan has been limited to "Home Improvement" reruns and "Crossing The Bridge." (an OK movie).
  • Boy Parabeagle, you are extreemly generous if you rate "Crossing the Bridge" as an Ok movie. One of my favorite movies, "Somewhere in Time" was filmed almost entirely on Michigan's Machinac Island. Just think, if you had been punished by being banished to Alpena, you'd be a "Troll". xclap I'll be experiencing your neck of the woods in latter May. My daughter is getting married in the Seattle area so I'll be able to compare. She claims it is a beautiful area but a little wet in the winter months.
  • Saying Seattle is a "little wet" in the winter months is like calling the Atlantic Ocean a "pond." In May it shouldn't be too bad. Check with MWild, though. She's from the Seattle area and I'm further south in Portland where the climate is a bit less "moisturized." x;-)
  • I was pushed to watch Somewhere in Time by a fellow Lighthouse lover, because of Mackinac Island. What an excellent movie. Only saw it once, although I heard it gets better each time, eh?
  • It is one of my all time favorite movies and I have seen it several times. I just recently updated my VHS copy to DVD and watched it again. They say that it didn't have as much of a following in the theatre, but that it became a cult classic when it went to video. Tremendous acting by both Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. It is based upon the book, Bid time return by Richard Matheson. The director said that the photograph of Jane that was a focal point in the movie sold him on her having the part. I've included the official website if anyone is interested in more info.

[url]http://www.somewhereintime.tv/[/url]

• That's weird. I heard the movie was loosely based on the Jack Finney novel "Time and Again." From what little I've seen of it, I couldn't tell, but that's one of my favorite books and I was really disappointed to learn it was only "loosely" based. But since you have the link, HS, I'm going to bow to your superior knowledge. x;-)
  • Actually, Michigan only has two seasons: two months of summer and 10 months of tough sledden'. Oh, and we're having one of those #10 days today: 65 at 3PM and 2 inches of snow by midnight. Cool!
  • And Chicago like winds!!!!!!!!!!!