The Apprentice

I've been a little surprised there hasn't been a thread on the new show "The Apprentice," so I'll give it a shot.

In this latest reality series, The Donald (Mr. Trump, to us) will pick his next up-and-coming executive from a group of 16 contenders divided into teams of 8 men against 8 women. Each week he fires someone from the losing team.

So far, my biggest impression is that the women, who have won in both of the first two episodes, have exploited their sex and their sexuality to win. Meanwhile, they're cat-fighting their team into the ground behind the scenes. It's sad and morbidly fascinating at the same time.

I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks about how and why the women won, or anything else about the show. The Apprentice will be my guilty pleasure for this season, under the pretext that it's about organizational/business relationships and thus related to HR. (Hmmm...maybe I can get comp time.)

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • While I am not really a Donald Trump fan, I did catch a couple of the exerpts from the show.

I can tell you the behavior of these women is not too far fetched from what I have seen in the workplace.
  • I can't get into "reality TV" other than Survivor. I've given several other shows a look and they pale in comparison. I had no interest in this show whatsoever. From what little previews I've seen, it looked to be dull. Just my humble opinion!
  • There is some mention on the apprentice on the most recent survivor thread
  • FHR, thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't been keeping up with that thread since I've been out of the Survivor loop since the Outback season. I liked it, but usually can't commit to a serialized TV show. Decided to make an exception for The Apprentice because I thought it would be instructive. And it is.
  • MSN's home page today has a link to quite a story about the show. I knew nothing about it, but the tasks did sound interesting and challenging. Might have to check it out.
  • Did anyone watch it? I find the group dynamics very interesting. I thought Sam was going to jump across the table when he got fired. He might have been able to take Trump.
  • Or at least messed his hair up!

Yes, I watched. Sam got what he deserved and you're right, I thought he was going to come unhinged (or more unhinged than he already was). I was hoping he had some raw leadership talent lurking beneath that nutty surface, but after a day of his extended football metaphor and no real results, I was as ready as the rest of his team to see him go.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-22-04 AT 01:59PM (CST)[/font][br][br]The guys are trying to act like they think Trump and his cronies want them to act. If they would just stick to their heart and use common sense to lead, I think they would be much more successful. I think they all read a leadership book before they came and are trying to apply random principles on the fly.

It's fun to watch them squirm.

edit:
    I actually didn't see it all. I hate when real life (putting kids to bed, brushing teeth, reading books, and doing homework, etc.) gets in the way of my fantasy world.