Another great excuse

Had an employee show up late today (already has one suspension)with the following excuse: When I started my car, it instantly overheated and I had to wait for it to cool down before I could come to work. It took over an hour. Couldn't call because he was afraid if he left the car it might catch fire, so he sat in it.
Car is parked on the street and it is rather cold in the northeast today.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Of course not, I'm a downstate dem.
  • Hey, finally downstate dem's and upstate rep's have found something they can agree on. Maybe, there is hope for world peace. x;-)
  • Maybe his battery will freeze in August...
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-14-04 AT 12:23PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I love those type of excuses - we should make up a book. In my case, I had an applicant recently show up 15 minutes late to an interview - which of course I told him that we wouldn't interview him as he was late, but I wished him luck in his job search. His mom called me about 2 hours later. She stated that she was a VP at a local bank and couldn't we please reconsider & give her son another interview. (Her son by the way, looked to be about 38 - a hard-life 38 if you know what I mean). Anyway, because I enjoyed the conversation with the mother (first time a mom's called me), I set up another interview (he did have skills we were interested in as well). This time the guy showed up 30 minutes late! He came into the place in a mad rush, approached the receptionist and began his sob story about why he was late. Apparently, his cell phone's time (he didn't have a watch) runs 35 minutes late & to prove he wasn't 'lying' he brought in the cell phone. We have an open office environment, so I heard everything. I calmly walked out to the applicant and asked him why, if he thought he was 5 minutes early, why did he come in in a panic explaining why he was 'late'. The jig was up & he left - never heard from him or his mother again.
  • Maybe his mom could get him a job.
  • Because the mom was so together - I bet she couldn't 'afford' to offer her son a position for fear of how it would reflect on her. She didn't say so, but I assumed as much after speaking with her & comparing her to her son.
  • Good thinking Mwild. I liked that story.
  • Okay, I was late this morning and this is my story (and I'm sticking to it)...

On Thursday Jan 8, I woke up at 1:30 am to jump out of bed only to step into about an inch plus of water. It appears our hall toilet had been overflowing for close to two and a half hours, and had covered approximately 2000 square feet of a 2400 square foot home. The loss is outrageous - let's suffice it to say most of our floors are now bare concrete. Anyway, since last Thursday our home has been filled with 16 industrial dryers and two industrial dehumidifiers - it was like living in a wind tunnel. Using any other electrical device caused a trip to the service box to flip a breaker. Late on the 13th, 12 of the dryers and the largest of the dehumidifiers was removed. Finally, I was able to do laundry! But alas, yesterday was my birthday, so nothing of a working nature was accomplished last evening. This morning I'm getting ready for work and realize I have no clean unders, pants, socks...well just about everything. So I was one and a half hours late to work because I had to do laundry. I wouldn't believe it if someone had tried to explain this to me....8-|
  • What a nightmare. fubar.