Maybe a little deception

I have worked in HR for 24 years, started as a clerk and worked (rather clawed) my way up to Personnel Analyst. I have been an analyst for five years. I am scheduled to take a higher level exam in February.

I also worked in Labor Relations for 16 years. Where I was the Office Manager. Very familiar with progressive discipline, extending WTP's. I am quite knowledgeable in contract interpretation, assisted in the creation of our web site,along with the FMLA information. I work right now mostly in classification and do survey's throughout New England.

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • guided spirit, I read your post three times just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Did you have a point with your post, or did you accidentally hit "send" before you finished typing?

x:D
  • Don't know if correct or not, but I considered this post an addendum to guidedspirits first post where he/she introduced him/herself to the forum. While the other was a first post, this one introduced depth and breadth of experience. Just my take on it.
  • But, where does the deception from the title come in? Who is being deceived?
  • Yes, and what's a WTP, anyway? I've been in labor relations and HR for the better part of 30 years and can't place it.

Also, I've got two coins and they add up to thirty cents. One of them is not a nickel, what are the two coins? : )

And, what does this have to do with the original post? It's the deception part.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-02-04 AT 04:46PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Could the "little deception" come from this statement in the first post:

"I have been in HR for 24 years. I had been out of work for the past 2 1/2 years, broke my foot on the job."

And this tidbit in the second:

"I work right now mostly in classification and do survey's throughout New England."

Guidedspirit - can you help us?

• Maybe the deception to which she refers is right in front of us - maybe she's deceiving us, in some way relative to background, experience, etc? Kind of interesting (or maybe I'm just reading too much into it because it doesn't make any sense otherwise).

I agree with Leslie's version. I think she just hit "send" before she finished typing and there's got to be more to this. She is, after all, new to the forum and maybe doesn't know that she can go back in and edit.
  • Parabeagle, now you are getting Leslie and me confused. She doesn't even have "HR" at the begining of her handle, which is what threw you off last time. 8-| x:D

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-02-04 AT 04:57PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I love this brain teaser - The OTHER one's the nickel & one's a quarter! x:-)

Here's some for you along the same lines:

Some months have 31 days; how many have 28?

A clerk in a butcher shop is 5'10" tall. What does he weigh?

What was the President's name in 1960?

If there are 3 apples and you take 2 away, how many apples do you have?
  • I love brain teasers too. x:D

>Some months have 31 days; how many have 28? - 12
    >
    >A clerk in a butcher shop is 5'10" tall. What
    >does he weigh? - HE WEIGHS MEAT

>What was the President's name in 1960?- GEORGE BUSH
    >
    >If there are 3 apples and you take 2 away, how
    >many apples do you have? - I HAVE 2.

Give me more, c'mon, please, please...

• No, you still have all three apples. If YOU take them away, YOU still have them. If someone else took them away, you would only have one.
  • Nope, sorry Don, read the question again.
    It says "there are 3 apples" not "You have 3 apples".
    The 3 apples don't belong to anyone until I take 2 away. Then I have 2. x:D
  • In my world, Hunter, (and probably yours) a WTP is a water treatment plant. In former life, TP was treatment plant. .but in HR? I'm stumped. .

One of them is not a nickel but the other is!
    Sharp like a volleyball am I.

I thought the deception was earlier she said she hadn't been working. .but has. .

• Sonny: Here's more evidence of how old I am: My first job was at a combination grocery store and feed mill (How's that for a combination - maybe it had something to do with this mad cow thing). Anyway, there were two 'older women' who worked there in the grocery store and both of them were named Alma, so everyone called them Alma and Junior. : ( Due to their sensibilities, neither of them would refer to toilet paper, so they referred to it as TP, and that has stuck with me.

But, you are correct: WTP - Water Treatment Plant, WWTP - Wastwater Treatment Plant.
  • If this intended as a 'where's Waldo', here's my take: 'Clerk, Analyst and Exam' are nouns descriptive of government jobs and how you get one. Working in classification and doing surveys makes me recall my years with the state and interraction with the Bureau of Labor Statistics and other DOL bureacracies. I reckon she's a government employee, based in a State Office in New England on the third floor, perhaps three doors East of the water cooler. She also has her own electric pencil sharpener and uses the internet primarily for posting to the website so people like us can look up labor market statistics. She either does that or designed the part of the website that allows someone else to do it. They used to issue that sort of thing in person on the phone, back when you could reach a live person. I have no clue what a WTP is, but if she's with the government, it could relate to the Trade Adjustment Act (TAA) and the benefits extension for people considered laid off under that statute. Otherwise, who knows, she could be Margaret writing under an assumed name. I tend to be my most imaginative before 5:00 a.m.

• "I reckon she's a government employee, based in a State Office in New England on the third floor, perhaps three doors East of the water cooler. She also has her own electric pencil sharpener and uses the internet primarily for posting to the website so people like us can look up labor market statistics."

This is the Don D I love... x:D

• Not me for sure. I almost failed statistics in college!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • First off, let me apologize for using the word "Deception", it should have been "A little description.

Hunter, WTP means "Working Test Period". You know the first six months of employment, the ee's are on their best behavior, once they "pass the WTP,that's when they usually start to show their true self. Coming in late, calling in sick, calling in for a vac day the day of.

I do work for State Government. I had alot more responsibility prior to breaking my foot (I have limitation's and can not drive more than twenty minutes at a time, I was out in the field most of the time at other facilities). Once a month I coordinated and facilitated statewide Agency Personnel Managers Council meetings. I also did reclassification grievances and research on various topics. I was the Business Rules expert at one time, but the majority of my work had to be farmed out due to my lengthy absence.

Currently I am doing SCOPE work. SCOPE stands for State Coalition on Pay Equity. Mandated by the legislature to study every bargaining units job specifications, review questionnaires, do analysis and desk audits, then it goes to a committee. This has to be done every five years, so you finish one and have to immediately start the process over again.
  • What a deception! I've never been so humidified!