Whole lotta shaking going on

We just had a pretty good size earthquake here in CA this morning. It was a 6.5 on the richtor(sp?)scale and centered in San Simeon where the famous Hearst Castle is.

I've never been scared by earthquakes but this one almost knocked me to the ground, so I knew it was a bigger one. We are located about 1.5 hours away but we could still feel it quite well. Our building is built on rollers for times like these so it moves a lot but we had no damage.

Did anyone else in CA feel it?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Knocked you on the ground and all you call that is feeling it "quite well"?!?! I'd be heading east!
  • On the left coast, Leslie, we get pretty accustomed to earthquakes and don't get too alarmed about them (unless, of course, a huge chasm is opening up under our feet - then we move to one side).
  • What are the damage reports saying? I have a brother down there who lives near SF and works in San Jose. Were those areas hard-hit? My California geography stinks! x:-8
  • Most of the damage was in Paso Robles which is about 3 hours south of San Jose.
    It was in an area that was not highly populated. Reports are saying that if it had happened in a big city the damage would have been major.

Leslie, I'd much rather take a CA earthquake over a tornado or east coast hurricane.
  • I'll take a hurricane any day over either a tornado or earthquake. You get some warning so you can leave. Hope all forumites are safe.
  • I have a sister in San Jose. We are somewhat estranged so i don't have her phone # readily available ( it changes all the time). I hope everything is OK there.
    Cristina
  • Your building is built on rollers? I'm used to tornadoes, they're fairly common place, but earthquakes? I need a little education on the rollers.

We had a tornado about four years ago, our little town was just about flattened. After a summer of cleaning up and putting things back together, I respect Mother Nature a whole lot more.
  • Many of of the newer buildings in CA are built on rollers or springs in order to separate the building from the ground to minimize the movement of the building and the resulting damage. Buildings that have a foundation set into the ground will shake more and result in more damage. The rollers create more of a swaying, rocking motion that I guess puts less stress on the structure. That's about all I know on the rollers.

I'm sorry to hear about the tornado in your town. Tornadoes and Hurricanes seem to do a lot more damage every year than most earthquakes in CA. The most you can do here is secure everything as much as possible and just be prepared for a big one with supplies and food. This is the first major quake that I've felt since 1994. It's just a matter of time before a really big one will hit, and like I said you have to be prepared.

There is some thought that earthquakes can be predicted by the phases of the moon, mainly by full or new moons, and just like they effect the tides they can effect the ground. I don't know that much about it,and it's probably bunk, but I know that a new moon just started. :-?
  • Being a life-long midwesterner, I have a healthy respect for tornados, but I also know what to do in the event of one (spouse and I are both trained weather spotters). I'd take the familiar (a tornado) any day over either a hurricane or and earthquake!

I guess it's all about the devil you know versus the devil you don't!
  • No earthquakes felt here in AZ, that I'm aware of. The one that hit Barstow a few years ago actually caused a stained-glass window hanging thingie in my bedroom to go "chink chink chink" in the middle of the night, though. I thought the A/C was blowing on it, 'til I heard the news the next morning.

Other than that, we just don't get natural disasters here in AZ. Lotta heat, dust storms, amazing lightning shows, and the occasional flood when washes overflow. I think I'm gonna stay here. x;-)

• HRQ, I agree. No hurricanes, mini-tornadoes - the news folk hesitate to call them that, they prefer "micro-bursts," and the land stays firm underfoot. All we lack is beach front property - and that'll happen when California falls off (just kidding folks - really I am!)
  • You don't consider the canals to be beach front property? x;-)
  • Ah, but nothing quite replaces the gentle, rolling motion of an earthquake while you watch your computer monitor rock back and forth and you become nauseous from the back and forth movement. Then, of course, there's the fun of fielding phone calls from your properties advising you of cracked parking lots, cracked foundations, computers/phones out, etc.

Nothing like a nice earthquake to take the pressure off. x;-)
  • My husband and I were just talking this morning that we would rather have the tornados (common in MO) or the hurricanes over the earthquakes, at least you know when they're coming.
    Wehave been hit hard by tornados the past few years. Got hit on Easter a couple of years ago (happened to be my birthday also)so I got a new roof as a bday present. WE live close to an historic town that was completly wiped out in May by a tornado. I guess it's just what you're used to.