venting...sigh.

Guys, I'm having a really hard time with the situation I'm finding myself in. You may have read my "oops" post on the main board. If not, check it out, I won't bore those that have already read it by detailing the matter again...

I am just incredibly devastated. I am not sure how this happened and why it's not only OK to continue, but despite warnings from our counsel, it's happening anyway.

I find that there's a lot in my job that requires I do things that really go against my gut...and I know that you each feel the same way from time to time...but this is such a huge issue. I feel like Big Brother has stepped in and there's no going back.

I'm afraid to continue saying anything, because we're in an at-will state...but I'm afraid to NOT say anything because I like my company and I like what I do...

sigh.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I can not believe they are going against advice from counsel.

Keep the faith, and do not let it ruin your holiday - you deserve the comfort food. xhugs

• I feel stupid. Where is the "main" board? I would like to read your post. Thank you.

Elizabeth
  • The main board is the General HR and Employment Law portion of the forum.
    Denise had posted on there about criminal background checks dated 11/25 from the last posting.

It's a very interesting situation, and I can't believe that the company is going against the advice given to them. This is a huge legal issue and from the face of it appears to violate the FCRA guidelines.

Denise, we are with you and just do what you can, but I'd also be polishing up my resume too. This company's actions show how little they value the opinion and input from HR and legal counsel.
    Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.
  • Denise, I think I found your original post. "Big Brother" has stepped into my company and everyone is afraid to speak up. To disagree means your not flexible or willing to change even though some things are simply not right and even not legal. Many employees including district managers have been fired recently and we have experienced mass lay-offs this year. Since many of our employees have been with the company for 20 and 30 years, to leave is a difficult decision to make, but those with less years are rapidly exiting. I have been here almost 20 years and if I were younger, I would leave also. However, I hope to retire early in 1 1/2 years, so I am trying to stick it out. If you have a company that truly is not interested in doing the right thing, then I think you must give very serious thought to your future with them - no matter how much you like your company. I wish you well and I do understand your dilemna.

Elizabeth
  • Denise-

You deserve to vent. Your company should not be ignoring you or their legal counsel. I have been in a similar situation and I polished my resume and sent it out. Start polishing your resume and send it out. I love my job, but I made the decision that I would much rather do my job for another company than face an ee who would potentially sue.

Enjoy your holiday and don't let your situation get you down.

Happy Thanksgiving

Michelle
  • I know you have said that you had nothing to do with this and you apparently have offered your input. I would still document the events and keep them at home in your CYA file. You are in a tough situation, but you also note there is "lots" that goes against your gut...I agree with the others, time to look elsewhere. If you chose not to do that, then you have to just suck it up and make the contributions where you can. Good luck. Hopefully, things will look better on Monday!
  • deniseE - what is it about this situation that bothers you so much?

I read your other post & now this one - and it seems as though the company has made their decision to go forward with their course of action. It also seems as though no one at the company cared about the ramifications prior to conducting the background checks on existing employees without consent - so why should you?

Yes, the company is wrong, but again, how does this affect you? Are you in a position of authority at the company, were you a part of the decision to go forward with this program, do you have the power to stop things now? If not kiddo, it's not you, it's them. If what bothers you is the fact that you KNOW their actions are wrong, you KNOW ee's rights are being trampled on, you KNOW the company is going against the advice of counsel - then this situation is really a question of integrity and faith. Your integrity vs. the companies integrity & your faith in management decisions. I like to say, "Indecision IS a decision." Analyze your feelings about this & then make a decision: stay or go. It really is up to you. My thoughts are with you though - I know it's a tough situation. x:-)
  • It would have been so easy to get the signatures of present employees it just seems odd that management decided to go about this in such a manner that places the company in jeapordy. And continuing to do so against HR and Legal advice.

I have to agree with most - time to get out the resume. With sh** this deep, you have to wonder what's next, and if you'll have a big enough shovel to dig out.
  • When this blows up, you know what will roll down hill, and guess who is at the bottom of that hill holding the great big bucket?

Picture yourself in your next interview. How would you like to answer the inevitable question: "So, why did you leave xyz?"