Give me a Break

The V.P. of IT decided to use our Staff meeting to discuss the fact that we are in need of wellness programs. I am not against these programs - but I have my hands full with payroll, benefits, compliance, etc... I am a one person show and find it quite amusing that everyone wants more. She wants me to have a lunch time exercise program, health information on our Intranet, select topics and promote those, etc... I am lucky to get absolute basics done - who has time for more. What really makes me angry is she and I talked about this Friday and I told her it was a great idea - but I did not have time. She chose her audience well this morning the Owners are also in the meeting. Anyone else have this kind of problem?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sounds to me like you got sandbagged.

I get that sort of thing on occasion. I immediately support the idea and suggest a committee with the perpetrator as the head of the committee. In your case, with much of the subject matter being on you Intranet, it seems a perfect place for IT to monitor the activity. Then be direct and say something like, "When we discussed this last week I told you it was a great idea, but that I did not have time to do it. Since you want to go forward anyway, I can only assume you wish to tackle this yourself. I will give you all the moral support I can muster. Good luck." Then direct her to some websites with suggestions about wellness programs.
  • Yeah - it sounds like the IT person needs some work to do to look good with the owners. I like Marc's idea - but I would take some ownership here if you can. If you can, I would, at the next meeting, follow up with the IT person and ask them how much they anticipate this additional intranet feature to cost (including their wages) if the owner's still seem interested, I would say thank you to the IT person & let them know that they are more than welcome to do further research on the issues & make some recommendations regarding content & visuals & you would be able to meet with them on (insert date and time) to discuss the new program. As a final note, you can address the IT person and state, "you had addressed this with me, (now) two weeks ago, and I tried to explain that I was not able to give it my full attention due to my heavy workload so, any help your staff can offer with research, since they seem to have time, would be very helpful. Thank you for making your department available to HR."
  • Mwild, you are the sly one. Your response is much more tactful than mine and would probably get bamahr a raise and a promotion.
  • Marc and Mwild31 - THANKS!!! These are great and I will use them. What a great way to start my day. Thanks Again!