Going to Austin

I have a HR conference next Monday and Tuesday in Austin, TX and am wondering about good places to eat, any great entertainment, etc. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Didn't know there were any good places to eat in Austin... x;-)

Enjoy your trip, Safety!
  • Tell anybody in uniform you're there to whip the ex-governor. That'll get you three squares a day, no problemo.

Wish I could help you. I've been there and eaten at a great steak/seafood place but cannot recall the name of it.
  • If you're going out with a group, I recommend the Old San Francisco Steak House. It's a lively place with great food and drink. I attended a staff dinner there last year and a great time was had by all.

Gene
  • I think that's the one, Gene! But, he's already gone. Oh well.
  • I deeply regret that I spotted your post too late to respond before your trip, but in the interest of defending the honor of my hometown (and in case you ever get another chance to visit), here's a very short list of must-eat and must-do in Austin:

Best interior Mexican cuisine north of the border: Fonda San Miguel

Best Tex-Mex: many contenders, but I would recommend Matt's El Rancho or Guerro's on South Congress (SoCo).

Best Pricey Gourmet: Jeffrey's (but, again, many contenders).

Best old and nearly falling down authentic Texas dance hall (i.e., no recorded music or urban cowboy types): The Broken Spoke.

Nightlife for everything from frat rats to garage band afficionados: 6th Street.

Nightlife for people who don't like 6th St: Warehouse District.

Local Icon: Look for Leslie on the corner of 6th and Congress. He's a homeless drag queen who wears a thong, spike heels, and a beard. Everyone in town knows him. Remember, our city motto is "Keep Austin Weird."

Best weird/funky shopping: SoCo (Congress Ave south of the river).

Best record store ever: Waterloo Records.

Okay, let me know how you liked Austin when you get back!!

• >
    >Local Icon: Look for Leslie on the corner of 6th and Congress. He's a
    >homeless drag queen who wears a thong, spike heels, and a beard.
    >Everyone in town knows him. Remember, our city motto is "Keep Austin
    >Weird."
    >
    If Safety comes back talking about this guy, we've got trouble!

• Rumor has it Leslie housesat a multi-million mansion for a while. He also ran in the last mayoral election. During the debates, his response to the question, "What do you plan to accomplish as mayor?" was something like "nuthing" (I don't even remember what he said), but he got a few votes. He's a big player in keeping Austin weird. We should be so lucky.
  • > He's a big player in keeping Austin weird. We
    >should be so lucky.

Crash, does that mean you're in a non-weird Texas locale? Or that you're in Austin and not feeling things are quite as weird as you'd like?

I've tried not to be an Austin snob, but my Dallas friends and relatives tell me it wasn't working. So I've decided to abandon the effort. Actually, I'm the worst kind -- a Central Austin snob (although those South Austin reverse-snobs are up and coming).

• The trip there and back was a trip from Hades and I won’t go into that, I hate to travel for business. At any rate, the conference was great and I love the Austin weather, 80 there, and 28 at home. As a group of over 80 we went to eat at the Salt Lick outside of Austin. I envisioned a block of salt in the middle of the room for everyone to take a chip from but not so when we got there. The food was great along with the atmosphere with the exception of the dry county thing.

As for Leslie, Don D, to my knowledge I did not see him/her/it/whatever.

I did have a chance late Monday night to venture out for some R&R and listened to a local band that was awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions and on my next visit I will try them if I get a chance.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-06-03 AT 04:10PM (CST)[/font][p]Safety, sounds like a good trip - except for the travel part!
  • Thanks Leslie, the information gained from interfacing with 80 other HR's is invaluable. I guess that’s why I like this forum so much.x:7
  • Safety, you done good with Salt Lick. BBQ was an omission in my former post, but I do love it and I love that particular place, though it's quite a jaunt from town. Also, glad you liked the weather. I was afraid you might find it insufferably sticky, but I guess 80 degrees with 99% humidity beats sub-freezing temperatures.

What was the band you heard? I'm always up for new opportunities to refuse to act my age.
  • The band was called the Meters (as in parking) and they were a funk/blues/rock band with vocals that were unbelievable! It never ceases to amaze me at the talent in this great USA. Just when you think you have found the ultimate along comes someone else that blows you away. I don't believe I could keep a day job if I lived in Austin because I would spend every night either playing music or watching others do the same.
  • >the conference was great and I love the Austin weather As a group of over 80 we went to eat

You did not look octogenarian in your photo. Who wheeled you guys around?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-07-03 AT 09:53AM (CST)[/font][p] >>the conference was great and I love the Austin weather As a group of over 80 we went to eat
    >
    >You did not look octogenarian in your photo. Who wheeled you guys
    >around?

Thanks Don, my mistake, let me be more clear. As a group of 80 HR staff . . .

OK?
  • I see, so the only ones over 80 were the HR staff? x}>
  • Right Marc. I can just see those guys gumming their tacos. How late were you allowed to stay out Safety? Was there geritol beside the shampoo? Just kidding. Hope you had a ball. Only Ray and Beagle spoke disparagingly of you and I protected your virtue while you were out.
  • He's lying, Safety. Ray and I were too busy beating up on each other and Don D. to disparage you.
  • Do I know you guys? Sorry, you draw a blank.
  • By definition it would be impossible to draw a blank.
  • Sure you can Beagle. Go to Don's post on the Fraternization thread and draw what he originally said based on what you know right now.