Help with a baby name

2»

Comments

• Use a nickname as the baby's real name. It happened to me.

Chari
  • Halliburton bought a company named Otis, and they said it stood for "Our Tool Is Stuck." That's what comes to my mind when I hear the name, then the Mayberry character.

When my boss was pregnant she told us it was a boy but wouldn't tell us the name. So we came up with a name the baby contest - but it was all names like Scud (had to become a journalist), Dizzy (baseball player), and a whole host of Mexican names were thought up while drinking margaritas. Paco, Pablo, Pancho, etc. Every day we had a new name of the day. She kept the lists for her baby book and I still call him Scud, my personal favorite.

My rule was always "what would it sound like if I had to yell it down the block." Make it flow... Good luck!
  • My husband and I had the same problem only we had the boys name, but no girls name. He is a teacher and every name I liked he of course had had that child in class and didn't like her or she was trouble. So we went to the hospital with no girls names and wouldn't you know it, we had a girl. My husband was so choked up and in awe of the whole situation that he let me pick the name because of all I had gone through. Our boys name was Matthew - still love that name.

PS my cats name is Otis and he is frisky!!!!
  • My daughter has a friend who had a baby girl this week - fortunately. In their family, the oldest son always carries the middle name "Lee". Her favorite boy's name is "Brock". I can just imagine a guy going through life with first & middle names that sound like a green vegetable!

Another friend is expecting a second child in December (daughter Willow Piper is almost 3). The father's choice for a boy's name - Crash.

My son's name is Christopher. His dad picked it, and I agreed only if it were never shortened to "Chris" - I don't care for names that are unisex. However, I lost that argument about the time he started kindergarten and had to learn to write his name. Unfortunately, his middle name is Rhodes, and his last name has an "r" in it as well, so when you string all three names together, all you hear is "RrrrRrrrrRrrrrRrrr" - sounds like a car that doesn't want to start on a cold morning.

I've always liked the name Justin, but ex-spouse nixed that because of the "Justin Case" or "Justin Time" possibilities.

My grandson's name is Avery - kind of an unusual choice, but I like it.

Good luck with the anticipated arrival!
  • I found my son's name in a "Name Your Dog" book...it had lots of strong male names...we wound up naming him Jake Morgan....
  • Hi!
    I have been reading the messages that the HR Hero team leaves to one another and I think you guys are all the best. I have never had any intentions to ever write a message, but I just had to on this one.

My oldest son'd name is Yashua - I wanted to name in Joshua but everyone had it so I just went down the alphabet until I found something a bit different but yet reminded me of Joshua. My 4 year old is named Elijah and we call him Eli for short, he's the best. Then it came to my last child with my second marriage and he insisted it would be Roger Spencer Davis III. Since he was a Jr. I wanted to die. So, I prayed and thank GOD it was a girl. I named her Mikayla-Imani.

I would personally suggest you wait until the baby is born to see what he looks like and remember he will never look like an Otis.

Wish you the best!
    Amercy

• I have a cat named Otis! When I hear Otis I think of Otis Spunkmire (spelling). What about Oden? One of my neighbors named her son Oden which I like for a boy. I also like Christian. One of my best friends from HS was named that and I always liked it. Weslie and Walker are also names I like.
  • I don't know nothing bout birthin no babies...but I have two cats named Zella and Sose. Zella was the name of my favorite childhood babysitter who would read me (yep, you guessed it) "Cinderella" every time she watched us. She also made a mean plate of cheese and crackers. I named my little boy kitty cat Sose after the elusive character "Kaiser Sose" in the movie "The Usual Suspects".
    I figure if/when I have kids I will choose original but not annoyingly abstract names. If that makes any sense? ;)
    Cinderella
  • I can sympathize...my hubby is currently turned onto "Huckleberry" I can't fathom WHY this seems to be a good idea for him.

Maybe there could be a compromise. If it's the sound he likes maybe "Owen" or "Adian" Since you found a girl's name could you pattern a boy's name after it?

Surf the internet...there are TONS of baby name sites.

Good luck..and congratulations!!
  • Naming a child can be so much fun (and drama). I always tell my friends to remember that the child's teachers and school chums will have to pronounce the name. That being said, I like Braxton, Spencer, and Brendan for a boy. But you guys do whatever you want -- guaranteed the child will hate it for a few years no matter what it is.
  • We had decided to name our first child Scott, after a grandmother's middle name, whether a boy or a girl. She's a girl. My precious Scottie is the absolute lite of my life, thump of my heart and can buckle my knees with a crook of her finger. I've often been challenged by various 'offices' who tell me she must be a boy with a name like Scott and others whose noses turn up when they learn her name. Screw them. She's who she is and Scottie will always be Scottie. Her name is absolutely nobody's business, now is it?
  • Nope nobody's business. It's just that sometimes people get confused. I got a draft notice in 1973.
  • x:-) Confusion, I can accept. But then there are those people who think they have some right or obligation to tell a parent what they might have named their child instead, or ask you 'why' and stand there like an embecile waiting for your answer. Or those who feel compelled to give you their analysis of how to name children, and how not to. There are more of those types than the confused ones. I could have just easily named her Bobbie Jack or Euphronia Eulinda. x:-)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-25-03 AT 08:59AM (CST)[/font][p]Before we were married, my husband and I decided to name our 1st boy Clint - after Clint Eastwood. My husband was gracious enought to let me pick my daughters name - Elizabeth, he said I know you very well, and you'll pick a beautiful name for our daughter. As soon as she was born and we were holding her, I asked him again, Elizabeth? and he just held her tightly, closed his eyes and nodded. Thanks for bringing that memory back 22 years later. PS, I'm only 44, we were young parents and now young grandparents.........
  • Regarding Don's comments about confusion . . . my husband's name is Jan and it's irritating to always tell EVERYBODY that "Jan's my husband". I get some looks.

To top it off, I don't go by Melissa often, people close to me call me Mel. x;-)
  • Don, I couldn't agree with you more. Almost 18 years ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. I named her Jordan. Nowadays a lot of parents are naming their baby girls Jordan but back then it wasn't very common. She hated her name for awhile, wishing she was a Jessica or Stephanie or something similar. Now she likes her name. My birthing days are over but I love the names Grace or Michael for a girl. I only had girls - thank God because I couldn't for the life of me come up with a boys name. Although if I would have had a boy I would have probably named him Daniel, Michael or Matthew. I think you can get away with unusual names for girls easier than you can with boys. Just my opinion.

It's interesting to check out the Social Security Administration website. They have the top baby names for each year and/or decade going back to the late 1800's. The top girl's name for decades was Mary. It's neat to see how names have changed and what was once fashionable is becoming so again.

• My three granddaughters are named Jordan, Taylor and Madison. Kids teased Jordan by calling her Michael Jordan - she is very, very tall for a 10 year old. I prefer more tradional names, but the choice was not mine.

Also, Don, I believe that Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald named their daughter Scottie.

Elizabeth
  • My daughter was teased some too. Boys in her class called her Michael Jordan but after awhile it got old and they stopped. It didn't seem to bother her too much.

Four of my co-workers have kids or grandkids by the name of Taylor. Three girls and one boy. I like the name Madison. See all the fun you can have with girls names. Boy names are much tougher!
  • Instead of naming her Scottie after her grandmother, I guess we could have named her after that same grandmother's first cousin, Tallulah Bankhead.
  • Actually, Tallulah isn't that bad a choice - of Demi Moore's three daughters' names, I like it a lot better than Rumer or Scout!

• Very Cool! As I recall, and I'm probably the only one who does recall that far back, she was a very senuous and very free thinking young women. She was way ahead of her times and didn't do things for shock value,just did them because she wanted to and didn't much care what anyone thought.

Elizabeth
  • You're talking about Demi or Tallulah?

• Well, that does look weird, I thought I posted under your response. So it's your Tallulah, not Demi's.
  • Just thought I would update ya'll. I believe that we have decided on a boys name of James Edward. We'll see if we keep it. I'll let you know when the baby is born what it is and what we end up naming it. We only have 5 months to go. (I know that seems like a long time but I am a very anal person, we have everything picked out already.) I like to plan ahead.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. Who know maybe it'll end up being Otis Barney after all. HA HA
    Susan
  • You sound like fun, Susan. There was a great song when I was a teenager called, "A boy named Sue" -- not that I am recommending it.

Have a wonderful baby.
  • I guess it's too late to suggest "Frank Jr."